Compression test results!!!

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
I have been losing about aquart of oil per week just did a compression test here are the results
6....15o

here are my mods....k&n intake,bic ddp, 3"exhaust no cats, walbro, aeromotive afpr set at 40psi,440 inj, lex afm, spec 3, 11lb flywheel, 2.5 hardpipes, stock intercooler, safc2 untuned, ct26/60-1 at 14psi with evc4y

note:the turbo has been rebuilt and upgradded by majestic turbo in waco,tx

i dont have major oil leak i see oil by the valve cover gasket and the pcv hoses ontop what do u guys think? 1 quart a week , i see the smoke under hard acceleration...

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
put a little oil in cylinder one and recheck compression see how much it goes up by

could be bad rings

or bad valve seals

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
supraguru05 said:
put a little oil in cylinder one and recheck compression see how much it goes up by

could be bad rings

or bad valve seals

i agree. possiblity the first 3. Wet tests are generally more accurate in most cars.

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
I was thinking of freshening up the engine with new standard bearings and rings i have new set of valvestems.. I saw a kit on ebay for about 140 shipped NPR RINGS, ACL BEARINGS AND A ENGINE GASKET KIT. This engine i installee it last year in july its a jdm and i SUPPOSEDLY came with 45,000 miles so the pistons cant be that bad thats why im thinkin to just do rings bearings and new gasket and seals that come with the kit... What do you guys think???

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
Just did a compression test today myself. 185-190 across the board. Was very happy :)

However, my turbo is effed, putting on my 57 trim tomorrow. Does your car blow the oil right after boost or actually DURING boost.

During boost, I think your rings are starting to bite the bullet.

Do a big downshift while going down a hill too, and see if you get a cloud behind you, this should show you the status of your valve seals.

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
Timing belt was done whe i installed the engine with all new engine gasket kit and belts.

It smokes when i hit the gas not under normal driving and it doesnt smoke when deceleration or comin to a stop im starint to think the damn rings are shot...

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
Sounds like its time for a rebore, fitting new rings in worn bores will give you a few 1000 miles more befor it starts again. Being as its a block appart job you might as well get a rebore and some new pistons while your there as you don't want to be revisiting it at a later date.

ask me how I know

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
Yeah it was done with engine warm and follow instructions accordin to tsrm ill do another compression test tomorrow and ill post the results....

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
you overtorqued the timing belt idler pulley more than likely...

overtorque the bolt, and it will deform the first cylinder enough to drop compression.

tighten to 36lbs

a_sesshoumaru

Suprita
Jan 7, 2007
El Salvador
Down but not out said:
Sounds like its time for a rebore, fitting new rings in worn bores will give you a few 1000 miles more befor it starts again. Being as its a block appart job you might as well get a rebore and some new pistons while your there as you don't want to be revisiting it at a later date.

ask me how I know
he is right,:cry:

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
I havent done a retorque since i installed my cosmetic mhg and arp studs. By any chance in hell u guys think its slowly gettin loose from the front to the back? hey anybody DO I HAVE TO TAKE THE CAMS OUT TO RETORQUE THE HEAD??I plan to retorque the head and install new valvestems What tool do i need to take compres the valve springs and install them?? A pic or link would be nice Help plz:1zhelp:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Poodles said:
you overtorqued the timing belt idler pulley more than likely...

overtorque the bolt, and it will deform the first cylinder enough to drop compression.

tighten to 36lbs

do this, and no I'm not kidding

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
Ok guys this weekend gonna tighten the timing belt dler pulley to 36 lbs,retorque the head, and install new valvestems. Ok NOW I NEED A VALVE SPRING COPRESSOR HOW DOES IT LOOK LIKE LINK PLEASE. im gonna replace them with head on .thanks to every one helpin out

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I was going to say that you should retorque to head first also.
You might very well find that they've loosened a bit, especially the exhaust side.

shepfly

Jul 23, 2007
Ohio
I would suggest a cylinder leak down test before doing anything else, that would locate the cause of lower reading, rings or valves. Valve seals are not the cause of lower comp results, only increased oil consumption.