Code 52 after SAFC install?

whiplash

Oct 8, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Hey all,

Wired in my SAFC yesterday, inline with my AVC-R, and both seem to be working perfectly. I did not wire a knock sensor signal into the SAFC, I only used power, both grounds, speed, rpm and the air meter wires. However, consistantly on every start I now throw a CEL as soon as I hit about 2500 rpms, code 52.

I rewired my knock sensors last year after getting sporadic code 52's and hadn't seen the CEL since. Went back over my wiring to make sure I hadn't shorted anything, everything looks fine. Anyway to test the knock sensors themselves? Any ideas on the problem?

88 5-Spd Turbo

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
Why not wire the KS to the SAFC? I don't know tons about them (in fact mine is sitting next to me right now and will be wired in next week), but based on the fact that the code corresponds only to wiring in the SAFC in the first place, I would expect the code to go away.

Last edited:

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
whiplash - Either you disturbed the knock wires at the ECU connector or pulled on the harness and disturbed the wires at the knock sensor connectors. Somewhere your signal wire for knock is touching the shielding or getting a ground.

Shytheed Dumas - The knock function of the SAFC has been determined to be basically useless. The process to connect it to our cars is even more complicated. You have to connect it to each sensor, separately, to determine which one to use and even then the data you get is sketchy.

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
My wiring recommendation is in the HKS S-AFR / A'PEXi S-AFC & NEO wiring installation in my sig ;)

edit: in it, have the info on the knock wiring, but don't recommend hooking it up.

whiplash

Oct 8, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Just an update, got to checking everything after work. Tested both sensor wires for continuity, found the culprit. Tested the connectors, found one that was loose, ecu side, looks like I just pulled it out while splicing the speed or throttle lines. Well, everything going good now, take it easy =)