Code 51

toml

Jul 24, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
Is code 51 only applicable at idle?

At idle or with the engine off, the car reports no codes.
If I give the engine a quick rev, it reports a code 51 then goes back to normal.

I assume this is because the ECU detects a difference in the TPS output so reports code 51... but I just wanted to check that it was normal behaviour.

Thanks,
Tom

toml

Jul 24, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
For reference:

TSRM said:
Code 51: Switch Signal

Diagnosis

* No "IDL" signal, "NSW" signal or "A/C" signal to ECU, during diagnosis check.

Trouble Area

* A/C switch circuit
* A/C switch
* A/C amplifier
* Throttle position sensor circuit
* Throttle position sensor
* ECU

whiplash

Oct 8, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yup, that's the way it should be, also the "new way" found by portez to calibrate the tps.

When jumping the diagnostic box, you want your tps positioned so that you get no codes at idle, ie. with the throttle plate closed, but the slightest push of the throttle, the car should throw the code.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
toml said:
Is code 51 only applicable at idle?

At idle or with the engine off, the car reports no codes.
If I give the engine a quick rev, it reports a code 51 then goes back to normal./QUOTE]

It's only applicable if you have the diag block jumpered. If you're otherwise getting a code 51 you have a problem.

Do not use Porter's method to set the TPS. Toyota's procedure requires using tools to obtain clearances that measure in the thousands of an inch. I guess it doesn't occur to anyone there must be a reason for being that precise. There is. I won't bore you with the details but setting the TPS any other way can result in problems, especially if you live in an emissions state.

Last edited:

toml

Jul 24, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
Thanks guys - I wasn't trying to set/calibrate the TPS, was just wondering why I got a code51 with the diagnostic port jumpered. I understand now. :)

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
IJ. said:
JJ: Only takes a few!

The ones that don't get it will drift away from the Mk3 in time.

I agree. Not to mention being precise in everything one does can be beneficial in other aspects of life. For example when I'm machining something I always try to work to a thou or below even if it's not critical. It's just good practice (literally) for when I need to. Course, that doesn't apply to candy-ass CNC types ;)