code 14 ... haha :(

code14

Apr 22, 2006
USA
hiya!

so my car will run fine... then suddenly the rpm's will bounce around, check engine light comes on, then the car dies. also, while i'm cruising, the car will uh, stutter(not sure if this is a related problem or not). i'm guessing that can't be a good thing. then to top it off, the car won't start. i was stranded in an intersection for a good 5 minutes before the car decided to start back up again... yay!

well, i got me a code 14, and i did the whole spark test thing... and they all sparked. are there some other things i can check??

thanks again!

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
check the CPS connector, mine was getting a bad connecting and sometimes it would just not start or it would stumble and stall. if it wont start pop the hod andwithout touching anything else tap on the CPS harness connector and see if itll start.

i just cut the connector and soldered the wires so i dont have anymore problems, but i gota put some kind of connector on there so i can take it out to do the shaft seals.

Boostedstr8six

I have better SA than you
Mar 30, 2005
Near Columbia, the river
I second checking the CPS connection. I had similar issues and a few intermittant code 14s and got stranded in an intersection. It turned out the harness side of the CPS connection had a couple of very fatigued wires, one of them failed at the intersection. If that is what your problem is you can actually get a tool to push the pins out of the plug, trim the wires, and reassemble the connector.

code14

Apr 22, 2006
USA
alright! i guess i'll check that out....

now if you'll all just take a seat before i ask this next one...

:: ahem ::

what's a CPS? :D

code14

Apr 22, 2006
USA
hrm....

so like, the pins on the connectors seem side on both sides... should i stick like, a voltmeter on there and check it out? what numbers should i be getting? what's a voltmeter anyway? ;]

i don't know why i keep driving the darn thing... i keep getting myself stranded in the strangest of places... :O

anyway guys, thanks again!!

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Boostedstr8six said:
Exactly! There are even a few ordained Supra ministers here who spread the truth of the sacred text. :bowdown:

:biglaugh:

And the Archbishop goes by "IJ"

:biglaugh:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
isnms said:
14 Ignition Signal
Diagnosis
No "IGF" signal to ECU "A" times in succession.
A = 6-8 (7M-GE)
A= 3 (7M-GTE)

Trouble Area
Igniter and ignition coil circuit
Igniter and ignition coil
ECU

http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/ig/IG_10.html

I don't know what I was thinking. This is not a pickup problem. This is indicating the ECU is not recieving the signal that the coil pack fired. When you have a code 14, fuel is halted also.

code14

Apr 22, 2006
USA
hrm....

so ya think there's something going between the coil pack and ecu???

the problem is intermittent and i normally get the code while driving. after the car goes bonkers i'll pull over and... and when i try to start the car again, i get zilch :(

egad!! car's are confusing :O

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
How many of the tests in this section have you performed and what were the results?
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/ig/IG_10.html

code14 said:
so ya think there's something going between the coil pack and ecu???
Trouble Area
Igniter and ignition coil circuit
Igniter and ignition coil
ECU

code14 said:
what numbers should i be getting? what's a voltmeter anyway? ;]
• Test and results you should be getting are on the link posted.

• analog
voltmeter.JPG

• digital
voltmeter.gif

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The ECU sends a signal to the ignitor to fire the coil pack, and when it does that it sends a signal to the ECU saying it fired the coil pack. Code 14 means you are not getting the signal.

But like I was saying with the code 12 that you don't have, check all the connections for looseness and bent/dirty pins.

code14

Apr 22, 2006
USA
for the spark test... it says to remove the solenoid resistor and cold start injector connector....

what do they look like and where can i find them? :]