chipped turbo compressor wheel - what risks involved?

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
I saw stan's car in person...Turbo spools nicely, and doesn't make any weird sounds...and most importantly THERE WAS NO SMOKE AT ALL...oil level was fine...I checked it myself.

The 7M just has some strange tendency toward getting rk...ask Mike T from SoCal...his 7M which was fully built by Driftmotion just got rod knock out of nowhere less than a month ago.

I don't think this was stan's fault especially considering he has owned the car for less than a month.

mattjk

Permanent Ban
May 18, 2006
Huntington Beach
www.cardomain.com
MDCmotorsports said:
Gee imagine that! You had a fubar turbo that was out of balance, it sucked all the oil out of the engine and now you're going to blame the 7m for yourfoolish ignorance.

What are you going to do now with two turbos with ceramic turbines which turn into dust when you turn up the boost?

Going to keep running the car to death becasue turbo #2 is smoking but you don't have time/money/care enough to fix it?
great uninformed post, especially by a vendor.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Everybody here take a deep breath and relax before posting.

I don't think this deserved to be closed, and as such I'll re-open it, however it's going to be watched closely and snapped shut if people can't stay polite.

On the other hand... no offense meant, Stan, it's very possible that you are much more responsible than the previous 100 kids that abused their 7M engines, blew them up, badmouthed them, and moved on to the 'indestructible' JZ series engines, blew them up too, sold their shells and quietly bought a Mustang and faded away from here. However, to be perfectly fair, from an outsider's view looking in, it's hard to distinguish the difference and a fair number of us are pretty fed up with those kids.

Furthermore, after I had seen this particular conversation about 50 times, I started assuming I could predict the future - and so far I've been correct.

stan

fair enough, and i'd appreciate credit for the fact that i've done better than 99% of (new) mk3 owners - paying for whatever has needed to be done so far, researching, making time to fix anything that's wrong with it, and taking proper care of it.

the JZ isnt indestructable, and that's not at all why i'm going for it. i recognize that, just as any engine can have problems. it's just that if nothing else, the JZ's oiling system and twin turbos are more suited to what i'll be doing with the car, and now that i have to do some sort of major engine replacement anyway, i can justify going 1JZ (before the 7m got RK / etc, i was planning on sticking with it and learning to work within its limits).

running the car when it is clearly having issues is not smart, and if the turbo had seemed like it was having issues, i would have resolved it immediately. the only reason i felt ok about taking it to autobacs to show some people my noise (to see if it was in fact RK) was that the car seemed to be having no problems running.

i've only had my mk3 for like 3 weeks but i love it a lot, and hope to not be part of the broke ass mk3 owner (abuser) stereotype.

peace and love everyone :)