chipped turbo compressor wheel - what risks involved?

WeDgE

Buh-bye 7M...
Jan 2, 2006
Alberta
socc924 said:
How much shaft play is there?
I have been running this one for 2 or so years now.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

10 to 14 psi daily

Jeebus...

And people wonder why MK3 owners have a "cheap" stigma associated with them...

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
Mine is chipped on all the fins too. boosts fine and sounds good. It was from a k&n drop in that was never cleaned or sealed properly in my case

socc924

Mar 31, 2005
CT and Philly
Sawbladz said:
The problem is that you may think your turbo runs fine but really it it being pushed well beyond its limits with minimal gains. When your turbo is that far gone it can lead to other problems such as oil consumption. If you do not keep a watchful eye on it...BAM!!!...rodknock.

Just something for you to think about. A cheap stock replacement turbo is good insurance.

MmmBoost said:
food for thought

i bought a new compressor wheel ($26 on ebay) and it made 6psi feel way better than 10 psi did before. plus all the wierd whiney noises went away...

Thanks guys, those are good points and I will definetly consider rebuilding it. I just dont like being bashed for something that is not a big issue. I have never felt that my turbo is weak but maybe it will pull even harder with a good one. And a little loss in performance is not an issue cause there is no need for me to pinch every hp I can get, I just dont have a use for it. And the seals have been fine up till now, no oil consumption problems.

socc924

Mar 31, 2005
CT and Philly
WeDgE... didnt you have a CT-26 crap out on you a while back. How did that happen when you clearly replace parts before they fail?

I appologize for ruining anyones reputation as a supra owner, I understand how important it is of what other internet people think of you. I will sell my car and allow you to get the respect you deserve.:3d_frown:

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
stan said:
mdc - for your turbo core charges, can you give the core charge back if the old stock turbo is sent in after receiving the new one? no down time but still getting the core charge discount = ftw

Stan - No, As long as you send in a turbo (the core), you won't have to worry about a core charge. :)

Jeff @ MDC

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
WeDgE said:
Jeebus...

And people wonder why MK3 owners have a "cheap" stigma associated with them...

Quit raggin on the guy, jeez. He only works part time, and spends his money on better things.

No reason to blame this guy for a society's reputation.

And, when do mk3 owners have a "cheap" stigma attached to them?

WeDgE

Buh-bye 7M...
Jan 2, 2006
Alberta
socc924 said:
WeDgE... didnt you have a CT-26 crap out on you a while back. How did that happen when you clearly replace parts before they fail?

I appologize for ruining anyones reputation as a supra owner, I understand how important it is of what other internet people think of you. I will sell my car and allow you to get the respect you deserve.:3d_frown:

It crapped out on me out of the blue about a month after I purchased the car. The compressor blades had a few small chips in them, next to nil shaftplay...I chalked it up to a freak accident.

Sometimes you can't always replace parts before they fail...but if you knowingly run sub-standard parts...I'll just leave it at that.

I do get the respect I deserve, so there's no need for you to sell your car. :)

socc924

Mar 31, 2005
CT and Philly
Ohhhh so many things that I want to say but will hold back. You guys are right, I will replace my turbo or rebuild it. I was planning to anyway, but was kinda hoping it would crap out and give me an excuse to tell the Mrs. that I need to upgrade.

Hopefully Stan now knows all the reasons why he should not run that turbo on his car.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
s383mmber1 said:
Quit raggin on the guy, jeez. He only works part time, and spends his money on better things.

No reason to blame this guy for a society's reputation.

And, when do mk3 owners have a "cheap" stigma attached to them?

BETTER THINGS? WTF could be better than replacing a part which has eaten itself into a non-existant state and the engine relies on to run correctly?

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
sawbladz@02-03-2007 07:34 PM said:
The problem is that you may think your turbo runs fine but really it it being pushed well beyond its limits with minimal gains. When your turbo is that far gone it can lead to other problems such as oil consumption. If you do not keep a watchful eye on it...BAM!!!...rodknock.

Just something for you to think about. A cheap stock replacement turbo is good insurance.

stan@Today 03:39 AM said:
well i guess it doesnt matter that my turbo is chipped when the car now has rod knock. :( hello 1j bye bye 7m

Gee imagine that! You had a fubar turbo that was out of balance, it sucked all the oil out of the engine and now you're going to blame the 7m for yourfoolish ignorance.

What are you going to do now with two turbos with ceramic turbines which turn into dust when you turn up the boost?

Going to keep running the car to death becasue turbo #2 is smoking but you don't have time/money/care enough to fix it?

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
^^That MDC guy knows what he's talking about.

Maybe he just might know a little something something here....

Hmmmmmmmm. :D

stan

MDCmotorsports said:
Gee imagine that! You had a fubar turbo that was out of balance, it sucked all the oil out of the engine and now you're going to blame the 7m for yourfoolish ignorance.

What are you going to do now with two turbos with ceramic turbines which turn into dust when you turn up the boost?

Going to keep running the car to death becasue turbo #2 is smoking but you don't have time/money/care enough to fix it?

i'm not one to be reactive, but you're out of line on that one. my 7m DID NOT fail due to lack of oil, in fact it's been overfilled by a quart the entire time i've had it. I check it every other day if not every day, because I KNOW that can be an issue.

I have fixed every problem on this car as i've found it, but when it gets to the point that i am going to have to pull the engine and rebuild, it's not a matter of being cheap. the 1j will suit my uses and will hardly cost more, if more at all, than a well-built 7m.

I'd never run the car to death, and as soon as i determined the noise i was hearing was in fact rod knock, i parked it in my garage and have not started it since.

and not that it matters, but i'm more than funded to fix anything that could come up on a 7m. which is why i'm paying CASH for my 1j swap.

next time don't make assumptions. it's rude, and in this case flat out wrong.