chipped turbo compressor wheel - what risks involved?

stan

i discovered this today:

turbochip.jpg

so i'm wondering, what exactly are the effects of such damage to the compressor wheel and what other damage can be caused by that chip throwing the wheel off balance?

Kyle87T

Banned
Aug 4, 2005
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
Dont want to go offtopic, but I also have a badly chipped ct-26 and when I boost my car, I get smoking shooting up from the turbo side of the engine, I was never able to really pinpoint where the steam was coming from. Could this be from my turbo?

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
Kyle87T said:
Dont want to go offtopic, but I also have a badly chipped ct-26 and when I boost my car, I get smoking shooting up from the turbo side of the engine, I was never able to really pinpoint where the steam was coming from. Could this be from my turbo?

maybe...
i have a similar kind of promlem, but mine is coming off from the exhaust manifold. Take off your heat sheild, drive around bit and boost pull over and see where its coming from.
thats what i did and i thot it was coming from my turbo.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
When your turbo looks like that start saving for a rebuild or a replacement stocker. I did the latter because I was a long way from taking the step to upgrading...and money was tight. Look in the parts for sale section...I picked up a mint shape stocker for $150.

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
bwest said:
Could be a crack in the manifold. I had two that cracked right over #3

the pre 89 tube type runners on the stock manifold tended to crack on top. Toyota fixed this on late '89 up by changing the casting with a thicker "ridge" on the top of each runner. this solved the cracking problem.
just some food for thought.
So id check the manifold b4 replacing the turbo.

If u wanna stay with the stock EX. Mani. get a 89+ Mani.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
You guys scare me... half of you wondery why you make no power/smoke/car runs like sh!t.

Fins chipped that bad - either of you guys - you run the risk of actualy blowing up the compressor wheel and sending bits of aluminum down into the intercooler.

Not to mention, with that bad of an unbalanced shaft, you'll be eating about a quart of oil a day - week.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
socc yu maybe running 10-14 psi daily but your not flowing nearly as much as a good stock compressor would be. your forcing everything to work harder. get it rebuilt....like call mdc today please

socc924

Mar 31, 2005
CT and Philly
Lets just take it easy with all the preaching. There are prob. only a handful of people with a flawless supra on here. I work part time while going to school and prioritize where I put my money. I dont see the point in rebuilding a turbo that works fine and I will probably replace when I graduate anyway.

All I was trying to say is that my turbo is chipped and works fine, I guess that is bad advice because most turbos with chipped fins will cause other problems, Im just lucky I guess. Plus I find the picture kinda funny.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
socc924 said:
Lets just take it easy with all the preaching. There are prob. only a handful of people with a flawless supra on here. I work part time while going to school and prioritize where I put my money. I dont see the point in rebuilding a turbo that works fine and I will probably replace when I graduate anyway.

All I was trying to say is that my turbo is chipped and works fine, I guess that is bad advice because most turbos with chipped fins will cause other problems, Im just lucky I guess. Plus I find the picture kinda funny.

The problem is that you may think your turbo runs fine but really it it being pushed well beyond its limits with minimal gains. When your turbo is that far gone it can lead to other problems such as oil consumption. If you do not keep a watchful eye on it...BAM!!!...rodknock.

Just something for you to think about. A cheap stock replacement turbo is good insurance.