Cheap horsepower HELP!!!!

Setsuko37

Aug 13, 2011
Canal Winchester ohio
SO i have a 87 NA supra thats fully stripped out and im rebuilding the engine this is my first car and im on a small ass budget so im not doing turbo until this engines life is gone just to save money but i do have a legit cold air intake and i soon will be putting a 3 inch catback exhaust on btw i will be removing the cat and just replacing it with piping but i was wondering 2 questions

1. how much horsepower do you think the exhast and my intake will add? the intake is a dry flow cone filter that has a pipe connected to it running out my front fog light (yes its jank but idc) lol
2. what are some other cheap things i can do to my 7m thatll add hp????

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Nothing. I've seen an NA with full exhaust, a cold air intake and bumped timing make all of 5whp more than a bone stock healthy NA on the same dyno same day. Your gutted interior saved you next to nothing weight wise, too. Other than swapping out the stock seats (especially the driver seat) there's not much weight to lose in the interior. I'd be surprised to see even a worked NA car with lots of real weight reduction break into the 13s, which is still dog shit slow. Go turbo and don't look back. This topic has been beaten to death over and over and over again.

At the very least, throw a shot on the car.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I'd skip the test pipe to replace the cat. Just get a high flow cat. $100 and will keep you perfectly legal (and stop you from needlessly polluting) and still flow plenty more than you ever need with na.

For power, head work might help. Theres not much extra power to be had with the na. It's a very efficient motor as is.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
To answer your question:

The 7M-GE wasnt made to have untapped horsepower just a few mods away, thats why they turbocharged it with the GTE. So, there really isnt any cheap way to make more horse power with a 7M-GE.

To give you my opinion:

Ditch the 3" cat back and test pipe, on a NA it will sound like crud and not make any good improvements. Save your money and look around and get a 2.5" system made at a local exhaust shop, put a resonator and muffler on it with a high flow cat. That will be your best bet.

Good luck!

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
Sydney, Australia, Australia
as others have said , you cant.certainly not with an N/A. I'm sure you've heard the "FAST , CHEAP , RELIABLE ,PICK TWO" line before.

unfortunately you're going to have to contend with the 7m lugging that heavy supra body around without boost :(

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
There aren't any cheap mods to make power on the GE. Well, you can install a good nitrous kit, but nitrous is just another type of forced induction...

xnuclear23

Nov 6, 2010
California SoCal
I believe there are only two ways to get relatively cheap horsepower out of the 7mge....
1. Nitrous
or....
2. Na-T
Other than those two, you really wont see a noticeable gain in power from other mods.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Go turbo.

I have 2 N/As and my 89 was N/A when I bought it.

If this is your only car, stay N/A, turbo MKIII's break very often, especially when you get addicted to boost..

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
RazoE;1762329 said:
If this is your only car, stay N/A, turbo MKIII's can break very often, especially when you get addicted to boost..

Fixed that for you. Best way to make a 7m faster? Stuff it in a Mk2. ;)

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
suprarx7nut;1762146 said:
I'd skip the test pipe to replace the cat. Just get a high flow cat. $100 and will keep you perfectly legal (and stop you from needlessly polluting) and still flow plenty more than you ever need with na.

For power, head work might help. Theres not much extra power to be had with the na. It's a very efficient motor as is.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

theres no difference in high flow and regualar cats...as thats what i have been told by to different exhaust shops...

as for making power out of a na not worth it a all stock 7mgte 5spd only makes 189hp to the wheels...and you will not need a 3in exhaust for a na that will be useless

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

V8killer;1764182 said:
NA-T, remember boost is better.

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 PM ----------

Oh and i am pretty sure if built and tuned right it won't break at all

wouldn't waste money on a na-t

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
dubsupra209;1764187 said:
theres no difference in high flow and regualar cats...as thats what i have been told by to different exhaust shops...

...and they all have no idea what they're talking about.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
What on earth do you mean by waste money on an NA-T? That's just about the only mod worth doing to an NA motor lol

CRsupraiii

Oct 24, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
I think what dub is trying to imply is that you should just enjoy the car for what it is... Save your money and do your research; continue to drive the car instead of hating your life for having to tear up when you walk past it every day because it doesn't move because you wanted an extra 20 hp out of your stock GE... If you're that anxious to work on your car put the money into refreshing other aspects of your 20+ year old vehicle, like suspension or brakes; or something that you can enjoy (read: need to have) once you're pushing high hp. Once I got a new suspension on my GE car it was immeasurably more fun to drive.

....or....

Save up the money for a proper swap, and don't cut corners. The more time and care you put into the car the more you will be rewarded. A 7MGTE doesn't cost that much... Plus in most cases you have the option of getting an R154 with it. Win-win.

...OR...

Just do a JZ swap and be done with it. It really doesn't cost that much when you look at total costs for the same end result. Win-win-win.

Just my two cents.

Edit: Pics???

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
^^^ 7m is good but i would do jz but 1st do your suspension bushings shocks fix all the lil things then go jz or 7mgte either way its a win win over a na

Poodles;1764191 said:
...and they all have no idea what they're talking about.

lol

Quin;1764193 said:
What on earth do you mean by waste money on an NA-T? That's just about the only mod worth doing to an NA motor lol

cause it will blow and if you go through all the work on getting it machined and turboing it why not buy a rk 7mgte i have 1 for free in my garage just the block though...

i spent 3k on my whole car and project together with tts, tires, kybs, 57trim, maf gen 2, ic kit, rc550s, machine work, clutch, arp, mhg, and got new/used interior so why spend money on na-t?

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Quin;1762144 said:
Your gutted interior saved you next to nothing weight wise, too. Other than swapping out the stock seats (especially the driver seat) there's not much weight to lose in the interior.

Swapping to lighter seats and gutting it from the seats back will take about 300 pounds out of the car. Another 45 pounds if you pull the carpet and chip the tar mats out. That's 10% of the car's weight. It's like making the brakes, tires, suspension, and engine all 10% better.

You can remove even more if you get into all the useless crap they piled into the engine bay.

Still... either do a turbo on your stock GE or swap a GTE in there. Adding anything to a 7MGE is a waste of money when so much can be gained for so little with a turbo.

Also, there is a BIG difference between a high flow cat and a regular cat... but not all "high performance" cats are high flow cats. I've seen Pacesetter and Dynomax "high performance" cats that were nothing but stock style cats with a larger inlet and outlet welded on. The real high flow cats use a mettalic low cell count substrate in a "spun" style canister (the lower the cell count the higher the flow, but the less it cleans the exhaust). Basically they have a smoother flow in and out and the core has bigger holes in it and is made of something that won't melt under very high temps like a cheaper ceramic cat will. They don't clean the air as well as a stock cat, but they work as well as the aftermarket junk cats that you buy at auto parts stores and muffler shops. Probably won't pass a california emissions test with one though.

Magnaflow makes good performance cats, just look for the ones with a mettalic substrate and a small round casing. I'm using their 3" 100 cell on my car.

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
dubsupra209;1764204 said:

Laugh all you want, doesn't change the fact that they're wrong. On an NA it's going to do nothing, on a turbo car pushing higher numbers, the difference is very apparent. Just like crush bent piping compared to mandrel bent (and exhaust shops will tell you there's no difference).

destrux;1764234 said:
Swapping to lighter seats and gutting it from the seats back will take about 300 pounds out of the car. Another 45 pounds if you pull the carpet and chip the tar mats out. That's 10% of the car's weight. It's like making the brakes, tires, suspension, and engine all 10% better.

The entire interior might weigh 300lbs, but just swapping seats and gutting it from the front seats back isn't even close to 300lbs.

destrux;1764234 said:
You can remove even more if you get into all the useless crap they piled into the engine bay.

There's nothing useless in the engine bay.

destrux;1764234 said:
Still... either do a turbo on your stock GE or swap a GTE in there. Adding anything to a 7MGE is a waste of money when so much can be gained for so little with a turbo.

Yep. Dollar for dollar, forced induction is the cheapest route. It's also a hell of a lot more streetable compared to a strung out NA motor.