Car shakes on acceleration, wtf?

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
Just got done doing the poly bushing mod on my 82 and got it out today after school. The thing shakes like a mo-fo on acceleration and will level off as it reaches speed *speed depends on which gear you're in and how much accelerating you're doing*

I've already checked drive shafts, all of them and didn't feel or see anything.

Carrier bearing? How the heck do you check it?

I'm getting 0 noises, and I'm pretty pissed off. this is a huge kick in the nuts... lol

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
Ric said:
Carrier bearing, when that breaks, youll hear a giant slapping noise as the driveshaft hits the botton of the car. Trust me.

Check your lug nuts.

*sigh* I was afraid thats what it was going to be. and I would cry forever if I had a driveshaft eff up my car.

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
since you said it levels off at higher speeds it is most likely a u-joint or a motor mount. If it were the driveshaft it would get worse the faster you go.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
If the vibration is more in the steering wheel, it is likely the wheels. If you feel it in the seat of your pants, it is likely the driveshaft assembly, or propellor as Toyota calls it. The assembly includes the carrier bearing.

For the original poster, is it the whole car, centered in the car in the seats, or more to the front? Possibly an engine problem. You can have a pretty bad misfire on acceleration only.

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
huh...I'm having a similar problem but it's only around 65-70 mph. I don't think it's harmonic but I already changed out my carrier bearing and it's still doing it. Next i'll be moving on to balancing my tires.

could these vibrations have something to do with the diff or rear subframe? suspension?

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
It's the entire car. The steering wheel is not shaking at all.

Like I said, tires/wheels can be rules out because I swapped them out with 4 other wheel/tires and its doing the same thing. I'm wondering if while the car was torn apart if that driveshaft didn't lay for a long time in a funny position and mess something up.

I guess a misfire can't be rules out (maybe old gas...) but that doesnt seem like it would be the problem. I'll get under the car today and see if I can figure anything out.

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
If u had a bad u-joint, ud hear the clank when u went into reverse or drive.

Also, u-joint viabration is harmonic at speeds, not random.

You could have broke a tooth in the ring gear too, that would def make a heavy viabration and some noise.

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
billspreston01 said:
huh...I'm having a similar problem but it's only around 65-70 mph. I don't think it's harmonic but I already changed out my carrier bearing and it's still doing it. Next i'll be moving on to balancing my tires.

could these vibrations have something to do with the diff or rear subframe? suspension?

I had a similar problem from 45 to 65 mph and like you, changing the carrier bearing didn't help. Replacing the rear calipers did, though. ;) Check them out, because in my case the rear passenger caliper was hanging up a little, and causing the vibration. I haven't had a problem since.

It doesn't sound like the calipers have anything to do with Matt's vibration, though. :icon_conf