Car shakes on acceleration, wtf?

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
shytheed dumas: I bet you're right about the calipers. I had one hanging up on me a few months back and I could hear it squeeling at lower speeds and I know my rotors are on their way out. I'll tear the calipers off and clean them up see if it helps. thanx!

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
shytheed dumas: I effin hate you :icon_conf

I'll check the calipers though, one is new, so it's good for sure. Going to look at another Supra tonight though, I'll see if I can get Jason to swing by and fix 'er up for me.

The Evil Twin_7MGE

*edit* -gte
Oct 26, 2006
NJ
I'll sign for the caliper problem. One was hanging up on me too a few months ago, and combined with the very slightest warp in the rotor, made a pounding vibration that grew at high speeds until it just became scary to drive. Not sure if it's a proper way to diagnose this problem, but feel the rims after a drive to see if they're warm from the excessive friction, and of course there's always the smell...

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
Well not quite always the smell, Evil Twin. I was really surprised to find out that the caliper was the problem, because it never did smell. On top of that you would think that the rotor would cause vibration under actual braking, too, but it didn't. Jon (MDC) suggested the calipers to me, and if that hadn't actually fixed the problem I never would've guessed it was the cause based on the lack of smell and vibration under brake. :dunno:

mkiiSupraMan18 said:

Only because you know I'm right! :biglaugh:

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
I took my calipers off to see if they were sticking. I just happen to look down at my pass. side tire and it was wearing on the inside (2 inches maybe) and managed to wear itself down to the metal wires. ooops. new tires today.

rumptis

나는 제프가 당신을 사랑
Aug 16, 2005
North Vernon, IN
mkiiSupraMan18 said:

I'll check the calipers though, one is new, so it's good for sure. Going to look at another Supra tonight though, I'll see if I can get Jason to swing by and fix 'er up for me.

Yup be up Thursday, so stop crying.