Can't find a Supra, so what did I do to compensate?

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Bessemer, Alabama, United States
3S-GTE sounds like a good idea, but if you like 7M, then fuck it, sling one in that bitch. Weight distro. is important, but its not the end of the world if your car is front heavy. you can get some aftermarket suspension components to fix your handling. half of these interweb tooners who bash you about having shit handling are running on the blown struts that came from factory anyways.
Even if the weight distro is worse off, you'll still have a better polar moment of inertia than us and you'll weigh less. If you will do some suspension work, then you have a reallllly fun backroads toy. if you leave the suspension stock.....wellll......don't die please?

RaTyBaStArD

May 15, 2007
Oregon
Damn this thread blew up!!! I knew my comments would start big arguements....lol. Like I said, I know it will throw the disturbution off but I wanted a light car with the power of the 7m (basically a drag car). And all my power weight ratios were estimates too, sorry. I still plan on doing the project but its going to be put on hold for now due to another project (my truck). And for all you guys that vauge for the 4age(and variants), I have much respect for the engine but how much people can say they have driven in a 7m corolla? I'll start a thread here sometime in the future.

Heres the car by the way

p883812_1.jpg

Just Imagine the 7M-GTE in there lol
p883812_2.jpg

p883812_3.jpg

I might sell it though; anyone want it for $1000

ginglesturbo

Boost Nazi
Dec 1, 2007
Charlotte N.C.
thats not a ae86....a real ae86 is a gts...thats an sr5....you have to change the rear suspension...differential transmission and motor to make it a real ae86....i strongly dissagree with putting in a 7m on a car with an origanal 4age but this is not an origanol 4age car....do what you want with it...its gonna take alot of work....7m would be cool. if you can get it to fit...but you would get out cheaper with a 4a or how bout a 3sgte? that would be killer!!! 3sgtes can handle 7-800 h.p pretty easy and they are pretty light too

RaTyBaStArD

May 15, 2007
Oregon
The car is an AE86 and yes its an SR5, so its not a "True" AE86...LOL.

p886022_1.jpg

Converting an SR5 to a GTS is a pain in the ass, cause you have to track down hard to get parts, that no one wants to get rid of:cry:. Its better just to start with a GTS for any twincam swap. The reason for buying this car is because I want to do the 7M project, not a 4ac to twincam (And yes the 7M fits). I dont have to track down those GTS parts with this swap. Although it has a GTS LSD rearend, brakes, ect. (not installed). Then I would need the hard lines for the brakes (which I'm trying to get). I didn't want to destroy a GTS, so I will start with a SR5. I want to buy a GTS later, then build with a 4age or a 3sgte. For now I need to finish my Nissan Hardbody project before anything.

(Sorry its not a yota...lol)
p886022_2.jpg

Im swaping a ka24e into it cause the previous owner locked up the water pump, threw the fan into the radiator, and lost compression in the motor:nono:. He left the car here in Oregon and needed it outta the dealership. So after some negotiating I got the title. Lets say I got it for less then an antenna from the dealership:icon_bigg.

I will be doing the 7M swap in the Corolla later in the future:evil2:. Cant wait!!!
p886022_3.jpg

soundwave2000

Tenshou Getsuga
Sep 30, 2007
Somerville Tn.
AE86L?? this must be a coupe body right? IMO the best engine for a 86 is the 20v blacktop, but I do like the idea of a 7m tho, not as cool as the 7m powered fc that was on ebay a while back.

RaTyBaStArD

May 15, 2007
Oregon
The Corolla started out RWD and Yes "soundwave2000" is right, Toyota produced RWD Corollas from 66-87, although in 83 Toyota produced a front drive Corolla "E82" (US market). The AE86 Corolla SR5/GTS was produced from 83-87. "AE86L" no such thing, although it is on my vin, but my car is a coupe though.

A=the engine type, E=Corolla body, 8=eighth generation, 6=trim level

Last edited:

ginglesturbo

Boost Nazi
Dec 1, 2007
Charlotte N.C.
yerp...the e82 was the first tercel...it was the corolla tercell...fwd pos!! my neighbor had one...it blew up and i think she scraped it...i had a 83 corollla rwd...handled like a truck ...but dirfted pretty well for no lsd...they also had a 3t-c engine in those corollas and they can handle whatever you throw at em.