Can't find a Supra, so what did I do to compensate?

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
I'm at a loss as to why people want to destroy the handling on these Corollas by plopping a heavy ass I6 in it.

Nothing wrong with a 3SGTE. THAT would impress me far more than seeing the engine bay all hacked up and it handling like a 1971 Cadillac on truck tires.

ginglesturbo

Boost Nazi
Dec 1, 2007
Charlotte N.C.
im with tanya...your destroting the weight distribution...plus your gonna spin everywhere...the fronts gonna be weighted down and the back is gonna be as light as a ae86 is.....also the eary cressidas had 5mge's and the later models 88+ i think had the 7mge and they are badd ass!!! it would be way better to turbo a cressida then put in a 7m in a ae86-----keep the 4age they can handle whatever you throw at em.

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
i would rather see a well built 4age in that corolla then a 7m. and it would probably end up costing the same.. a 7m in the corolla though would be pretty neat though. but i think i would go with the 1ggte.

jsnowman76

In need of another supra
Oct 17, 2006
Elk grove, CA
1ggte would be nice for auto cross purposes.

I think that the 7m would be nice for drag racing.

weight distribution is going to be a big issue but as long as the car makes you happy.

ginglesturbo

Boost Nazi
Dec 1, 2007
Charlotte N.C.
ya but 4AGES are high revin air lovin tough ass motors...if i had one in a corrolla i would be happy with that... plus it is pretty cheap to buil em....nopis got cams for em that can hanle more rpms than a rotory just build it right and you will be happy....i dont think the corolla would want anything besides the 4a motor....you could also go with the gze motor and have a supercharger to start with

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
7M on an AE86???????? unheard of :sarcasm:

This is probably one of the first, if not the first corolla with a 7M transplant. We started a while ago and have rebuilt the motor three times. Still working on it. This is the test box. There's absolutely no traction on street tires...
IMG_2519_SMALL.jpg

jsnowman76

In need of another supra
Oct 17, 2006
Elk grove, CA
Supraholics said:
This is probably one of the first, if not the first corolla with a 7M transplant.

been done before.... so its not completely unique but a cool setup none the less

you dont remember the 7M AE86 that someone was trying to sell on ebay for $15k awhile ago?

quite a few people were ripping on it for the price, but it was a nice swap.

Nomad707

Im From The Bay
Mar 14, 2007
Santa Rosa, California
psssht 7mgte corrola FTW.

the beauty of custom work is saying that you built it, and theres really no feeling like the feeling of completing a project such as that.

Kudo's to you..

P.S.

I have personally ridden in a 1985 toyota celica GTS with a 7mgte in it.. and no, it wasnt a lead arrow.. it actually still handled like a bandit,

Im sure the corrolla still handles better then most cars do.

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Bessemer, Alabama, United States
Nomad707 said:
I lol'd, like, straight up, fell on my ass laughing. that was sarcasm i hope? My mom's old Mercury Sable could out perform a stock AE86

side note: do AE86's have McPherson rear or multilink rear? i think its McPherson's but not sure

EDIT: this AE86 was on blown struts i think, so i grant a little leeway. but AW11 owns AE86 any day

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Nomad707 said:
I have personally ridden in a 1985 toyota celica GTS with a 7mgte in it.. and no, it wasnt a lead arrow.. it actually still handled like a bandit,

That's odd, bc I know someone with a 5MGE Toyota Celica that says it handles a LOT worse now than it did before.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Not that I'm aware of.

that's one thing I always liked about the 3rd gen Celicas versus the Mk2 Supras, is that they handle a lot better. Tossing the I6 in it ruins it unless you upgrade the hell out of everything.

Nomad707

Im From The Bay
Mar 14, 2007
Santa Rosa, California
Tanya;876022 said:
Not that I'm aware of.

that's one thing I always liked about the 3rd gen Celicas versus the Mk2 Supras, is that they handle a lot better. Tossing the I6 in it ruins it unless you upgrade the hell out of everything.

ROFL.

have you ridden in a 5m celi? Im pretty sure i have because my dad had one.

Do you know how much the 5m weighs? and do you know how much the 22RE weighs?

Not a very big weight difference...battery relocation

You dont have to "upgrade the hell out of everything"

My dads ran stock springs shocks and EVERYTHING, only a front swaybar is all... and it still dominated mountain roads like no other.

MINIMAL compensations are required to "even" it out..

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Nomad707;876050 said:
ROFL.

have you ridden in a 5m celi? Im pretty sure i have because my dad had one.

Do you know how much the 5m weighs? and do you know how much the 22RE weighs?

Not a very big weight difference...battery relocation

You dont have to "upgrade the hell out of everything"

Ok guy, let me tell you something, as you obviously seem to think I'm some ditz that knows jackshit. Regardless of WEIGHT between the 22RE and 5MGE, it's about WHERE the weight IS. The 22RE sits further back, the 5MGE is all up in the nose of car, therefor screwing up the stock handling. I have ridden in a 5M Celi before and I DO KNOW what a 5MGE weighs, thanks though. Quit being so fucking defensive already, holy hell.