Can you buy the 7m as a crate motor from toyota?

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
Ian should get all madmax'd out. Have that supercharger, with the finger control. Is the Interceptor a real car or was that what they were calling those things in the movie???

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
"Interceptor" is a generic term for our Highway Cop cars not sure if it's the chicken or the egg that came first though!

The Blower on the Madmax car was a dummy and just had a 4 barrel carb inside an old 6/71 case with an old Scott replica injection hat.

The actual car was a Falcon Coupe never used as a cop car here but the yellow 4 door cars were and made very hard to escape from police cars in the hands of a good driver ;)! (351 cleveland auto 4 wheel disc brakes)

bitsnake

May 10, 2005
Dresden, Germany
fotosoup said:
well I mean, i dont know why these guys who are doing these massive modifications from scratch aren't going with fresh block and head... even tho most replace rods and pistons anyway...

because blocks also aging due to the heat cycling over time. lot of people would prefer used blocks (if in good condition) over a new one. and second thing is the overall cost of course, specially on import engines.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
If you add up the cost of all the machine work, new bearings, new rings, new pistons, new rods, etc.... It will come out to about the same as the new shortblock. And good used 7m-gte's are getting harder and harder to find.

N

NDBoost

bigaaron said:
If you add up the cost of all the machine work, new bearings, new rings, new pistons, new rods, etc.... It will come out to about the same as the new shortblock. And good used 7m-gte's are getting harder and harder to find.
funny because a fully forged internal bottom end and P&P head w/ 1mm over valves costs less than 4k assembled here.

That is if you do all your own assembly work.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
NDBoost said:
funny because a fully forged internal bottom end and P&P head w/ 1mm over valves costs less than 4k assembled here.

That is if you do all your own assembly work.

Sure, if you do your own labor. I was talking about picking it up complete. Close to $5k if someone else did the work probably, thats a long way off from the new shortblock cost. Around here full head rebuilds are close to $500 plus porting and polishing is usually billed hourly, and bottom end machine work for a fully balanced and blueprinted engine is $800-1000. Ferea valve sets go for what, $1000-$1500. Forged pistons $500-$900 Rods $900ish? I know in other states machine work is cheaper, but with the real estate prices in CA, machine shops charge a premium.

Last edited:

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
IJ. said:
"Interceptor" is a generic term for our Highway Cop cars not sure if it's the chicken or the egg that came first though!

The Blower on the Madmax car was a dummy and just had a 4 barrel carb inside an old 6/71 case with an old Scott replica injection hat.

The actual car was a Falcon Coupe never used as a cop car here but the yellow 4 door cars were and made very hard to escape from police cars in the hands of a good driver ;)! (351 cleveland auto 4 wheel disc brakes)

Yeah - the 71/72 XB's ;)

I still have, albeit collecting dust cause its too expensive to drive or insure, a '72 Falcon with an 428cu in V8 in it with a 'charger. Got the Arcadipane nose & rear wing on it too. As far as replica's go, it's pretty good, although after being sat for a number of years, it's starting to get into a pretty poor state :(

Paid $15,000 Australian at the time, pre-modified. Drove it around for about 3 months, put it in the garage and havent done anything with it since. Tried to sell it numerous times, but everyone thats enquired is a tyre kicker with no intention of buying it, or offering me silly money for it. I currently have it up for sale (still) for 7000 quid, and still no-one bites :/

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Mik: Yep!

Kai: A 6:71 will freewheel if you break a belt and leak enough to keep running but yeah a bypass would work better/more drivable!

Just not sure how everything else would handle/cope as at 5000 rpm they take 100+ hp to turn and that's a BIG load to hook up a mag clutch to!

I think I've read about your XB somewhere!