Can you buy the 7m as a crate motor from toyota?

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
supramacist said:
you can get the block for $2,500. Crate motors are domestic oriented.

hmm, just for the block? or with the whole bottom end? (crank, pistons etc..)My buddy got a full "crate" motor from mazda for his 88 Rx-7 a year ago... I was just wonderin if you could get somethin like that for the supra.

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
Just the block, no pistons. I have also researched the same thing and have yet to find one. Maybe....., jdm. I know for a mustang or a hemi or any type of edelbrock yes.. I am surprised to hear that mazda did this but that is also a rotory engine....., chaching.

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
You can buy a short block from Toyota. It comes as an assembly.

Runs about $2000. The advantage is you can just go pick it up.

A fully rebuilt shortblock from us is in the range of $1500+shipping, by comparison.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
maybe mazda did this because they've been owned by ford for a while. just a guess, but that might give an import engine a bit of a domestic taste. true, its still an 88 jdm, but ford probably owned it and the warehouse it came from and from then on it acted inside domestic shipment parameters.

cartel1_950

supra is gone
Jan 30, 2006
calgary
here in calgary the head mech at country hill toyota told me that you can order the full engine from toyota it's just the bottom end and the head and then you need to put the rest together your self. it's not really worth it though they wanted my soul for the bottom end(i'm checking how much money that is actually worth)

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
well I mean, i dont know why these guys who are doing these massive modifications from scratch aren't going with fresh block and head... even tho most replace rods and pistons anyway...

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
fotosoup said:
I was just curious, can you still order brand new 7m motors?

I have a brand new 7m-gte shortblock in my garage that was disassembled and ARP rod bolts put in, then resized the rods and spin balanced with the flywheel, then reassembled. I heard (from our Toyota parts guy) Toyota only had a few more left in the US, and they are out of production now, so if you want one call your Toyota dealer quick!

Interesting tidbit: The bearing size numbes stamped on the bottom of the block were changed and new numbers put on, meaning Toyota must have changed the bearing tolerances and reinstalled new bearings. Maybe they addressed the rod bearing issues by changing the clearances ?

Last edited:

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
My stealership quoted me 5k to totally rebuild my ge. Thats the front and back as well as the side to side. Obviously......, I declined.

And, YES......., Ij is the shizzle, always has been and always will be.