Boost doesn't change using MBC

TargaMK3Turbo

Money pit thats worth it!
Jun 11, 2007
Lambertville, MI
Last year my mbc worked fine. I went to mess with it, turned it both ways and there was no change in boost.
...and yes, the mbc is hooked up right lol
Last year after adding intake and exhaust, my boost was at 11psi. I then added a Lex AFM and fuel mods and the mbc still worked fine, I turned it up to 13psi. The car sat all winter, installed a clutch, let it break in on low boost. Then, I went to turn it up a smidge and I got nothing... I turned it both ways and no change in boost. The car runs and drives perfectly though and boost fine. The lines don't have any cuts or cracks, and has been untouched from last year. I bought it from Dr. Jones here on the forum.
Is my mbc dead or is it my wastegate actuator?

Also, while Im at it.. My turbo is fluttering, compressor surge Im told. I have a Blitz BOV, the screw on the top, do I screw in in out out? How do I know when its right?

Thanks!

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
the mbc's dont just die maybe something is clogged in it? also check the wastegate and see if it is stuck open

jtran8

Supramania Contributor
Mar 29, 2007
wichita kansas
Your mbc might be stuck open . Remove it from turbo and use your mouth to blow though it while turn the knob in and out to see if any change , if not then disassembly it clean up internal parts and put them back together .

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
What kind of mbc is it? My hallmans spring broke and the little ball inside fell out. So they can definitely break. Usually if the mbc breaks you will boost off of your wastegate. So thats a quick indicator to tell. Usually if you turn the mbc both ways and nothing occurs the MBC is shot. But I am not there to see it and tinker with the car so I really cant say for sure. Just explaining my past experiences I then got a dejontool and it worked perfectly and has yet to fail me.

jtran8

Supramania Contributor
Mar 29, 2007
wichita kansas
If it dosen't have knob , it should have a screw that use allen wrench . with out knob or screw , how can you turn up the boost ?

TargaMK3Turbo

Jun 11, 2007
Lambertville, MI
jtran8;989243 said:
If it dosen't have knob , it should have a screw that use allen wrench . with out knob or screw , how can you turn up the boost ?

Doesn't have those either. Its the ones Dr. Jones sells, half the mbc twists in order to change boost

Pantaloon007

Permanent Ban
Apr 2, 2008
Vegas
TargaMK3Turbo;989434 said:
Doesn't have those either. Its the ones Dr. Jones sells, half the mbc twists in order to change boost

TargaMK3Turbo;989226 said:
I can't turn the knob and blow through it, doesn't have a knob...

That half is the knob. If you turn it both ways and nothing happens, its clogged or broken. Just take it out and either fix or replace.

TargaMK3Turbo

Jun 11, 2007
Lambertville, MI
turbojuiced;989735 said:
Im not too exactly sure whatyour asking in regards to the bov question?

I have compressor surge, I was told by adjusting the BOV, I can get rid of the sorge. Theres a bolt on the top of the BOV that compresses or contracts the spring. Do I turn it in or out?

Also, my friends said the when we went cruising yesterday that my car was puffing out black smoke when I let off the gas. The car also stalls a lot when coming back to idle... Aren't these signs of a boost leak? I need to get better claps, I have hardpipes and the couplers aren't too bad but the clamps pinch the couplers. Who sells good clamps that won't pinch the couplers?

Thanks for all the help so far. Oh, and I took apart the mbc, everything looks fine.

JustinGotA1j

Jan 28, 2007
Chilliwack
If it turns out you need to replace the MBC and you want to stay with DrJones' then I have a brand new one that has never been installed since I ended up buying an EBC and you can have it for next to nothing.

TargaMK3Turbo

Jun 11, 2007
Lambertville, MI
JustinGotA1j;990089 said:
If it turns out you need to replace the MBC and you want to stay with DrJones' then I have a brand new one that has never been installed since I ended up buying an EBC and you can have it for next to nothing.

Im glad you brought that up bc I somehow lost the spring in the boost controller. PM me with a price...

Tightened most of my clamps.. Jus need to either get a new spring or new mbc...

1992supraman

Dec 1, 2007
Corvallis, OR
TargaMK3Turbo;990078 said:
I have compressor surge, I was told by adjusting the BOV, I can get rid of the sorge. Theres a bolt on the top of the BOV that compresses or contracts the spring. Do I turn it in or out?

Also, my friends said the when we went cruising yesterday that my car was puffing out black smoke when I let off the gas. The car also stalls a lot when coming back to idle... Aren't these signs of a boost leak? I need to get better claps, I have hardpipes and the couplers aren't too bad but the clamps pinch the couplers. Who sells good clamps that won't pinch the couplers?

Thanks for all the help so far. Oh, and I took apart the mbc, everything looks fine.

the black smoke out the back and then stalling is because your BOV isnt recirculated. When you let off the throttle all that metered air leaves the system and causes it to run really rich until you start accelerating again.

TargaMK3Turbo

Jun 11, 2007
Lambertville, MI
1992supraman;990224 said:
the black smoke out the back and then stalling is because your BOV isnt recirculated. When you let off the throttle all that metered air leaves the system and causes it to run really rich until you start accelerating again.

Ohh, ok. I was told to turn the screw in and compress my BOV spring, so hopefully that does it..

Dang, now I'm not sure what the deal is. It just came from the shop and I don't wanna take it back... Boost controller is fine, so are the lines. It holds boost, doesn't drop at all, but can't be changed...