BIC Downpipe Question

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
I just put my bic ddp and test pipe on and it spools great. I havnet got on it hard but i can feel the diference. The only problem is I can hear the exhaust comming out of the dump tube and it sounds ricey when I take off. Is that normal? or is something wrong?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Mine is freaking loud. I don't think it sounds ricey, but it is a little too loud. If I had it to do over again, I would probably get the one that's run back into the dp. You get used to it after a while..............lol

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I doubt you'd lose any HP due to volume of flow being low but it would make it much nicer to drive!
(all it takes is one badly timed squirt to get the wrong sort of attention)

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
I like the sound coming out the muffler especially the turbo whistle.I dont like the exhaust leek sound coming from the dump tube at idle it sounds nice under boost.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
IJ. said:
I doubt you'd lose any HP due to volume of flow being low but it would make it much nicer to drive!
(all it takes is one badly timed squirt to get the wrong sort of attention)
yeh, it's happened before, but i havn't gotten into any trouble YET... i think i'll wait till i upgrade my turbo (external wg) to do my exhaust again.... i'll probably have it run through the muffler then, but have a exhaust dump w/ a butterfly valve controlled by an electric solenoid :evil2:

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
89turbosupra said:
I like the sound coming out the muffler especially the turbo whistle.I dont like the exhaust leek sound coming from the dump tube at idle it sounds nice under boost.
i actually like the sound of open dp more than anything, but it's too loud for practical use...

97TSiAWD

In need of more traction
Jul 18, 2006
Michigan
89turbosupra said:
I dont like the exhaust leek sound coming from the dump tube at idle it sounds nice under boost.
It's loud at idle? It should only be loud when the wastegate is open (when you're at full boost).

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
97TSiAWD said:
It's loud at idle? It should only be loud when the wastegate is open (when you're at full boost).

I think he means the exhaust leaking from the 3" section and into the WG dump tube, a small amount of exhaust air can leak out through that.

97TSiAWD

In need of more traction
Jul 18, 2006
Michigan
MassSupra89 said:
I think he means the exhaust leaking from the 3" section and into the WG dump tube, a small amount of exhaust air can leak out through that.
So that small section that separates the wastegate and turbine exhaust gases isn't quite the right size? Is that a common occurrence with the DDP? (I was planning on ordering one within the next couple of days) :)

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Mine isn't noticable, I hold my hand over the WG tube and i can barely feel a breeze coming out. In my opinion its nothing to worry about.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
97TSiAWD said:

the wastegate begins opening pretty much as soon as there's positive pressure... it's fully open at 5.5-6 psi stock. there's no way to keep it totally shut until full boost is reached unless you have an EBC.

-shaeff

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
IJ. said:
Would a bike muffler fit on the end of it?

I thought about this IJ, but the way it's made, I don't think that you can get anything on it. It's a 1 1/2" pipe, but it's only like an inch away from the exhaust pipe. I'd have to see a small bike muffler to see if it would work. I would probably do it if it would fit. It's not SOOO loud that I don't want to drive my car, but it is kind of annoying sometimes. It doesn't seem to bother me if I'm spanking a Mustang Gt though.....................lol