BIC Downpipe Question

97TSiAWD

In need of more traction
Jul 18, 2006
Michigan
shaeff said:
the wastegate begins opening pretty much as soon as there's positive pressure... it's fully open at 5.5-6 psi stock. there's no way to keep it totally shut until full boost is reached unless you have an EBC.

-shaeff
Well, that would be fine since it would only be loud when you are trying to accelerate quickly, not just when you're sitting there idling. From what 89turbosupra and MassSupra89 were describing, it sounds like the exhaust gases leak past the little separator even at idle conditions. I can see how that can get old quickly since it'll just sound like you have an exhaust leak (and you do).

Of course this doesn't seem to be a big issue and I really don't care about loudness at WOT (I've had a O2 dump and currently have a Tial 40mm external on my Talon), so I'll probably go with the DDP anyway. More horsepower and less chance of boost creep are good in my book.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
IJ. said:
As much as I like a good exhaust note it would drive me nuts!

I love how quiet my car is now! :)

what exhaust/muffler are you running, ian? i've got an RS*R Concept, with the typical cannister style muffler. i'd like to get a stock style muffler that's super quiet, but flows OK. (not super well, just ok) and in place of the cat, i'll put an electric cutout. ;)

looking forward to having my car not be put in the same group as all the ricers around here. i get those looks. i hate that.

97TSiAWD: i have a BIC ddp and i don't get that sound at idle. they probably have bad exhaust manifold, turbo, or cat gaskets...

-shaeff

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
I :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: LOVEEEEEEEEEE the sound of DDP. :love:
It seriously sounds like a monster just starts roaring from under the car...it's amazing...

BTW, I love loud. I'm not divorced yet...but I want to be soon...:(

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
shaeff said:
what exhaust/muffler are you running, ian? i've got an RS*R Concept, with the typical cannister style muffler. i'd like to get a stock style muffler that's super quiet, but flows OK. (not super well, just ok) and in place of the cat, i'll put an electric cutout. ;)

-shaeff

you sound just like me :nono: :biglaugh: lol, hks sport FTW... i've got my own custom exhaust for now (too poor to afford electric cut out)

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
I'm looking to possibly get a DDP in the near future. Does the ddp get really loud simply by boosting or is it only really loud at full boost? If I had an EBC does that mean that I wouldn't get the loud sound until I hit full boost? Also, has anyone tested the rerouted ddp it see if you lose any power over the open wastegate one?

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
It gets loud when your wastegate starts dumping. :icon_surp

:EDIT: VERY loud.

If you've never heard it before, then put it on your car and hit boost, you quite possibly might poop yourself. ;) It literally will scare you if you aren't expecting it. It's seriously just a "ROARRR" but very high pitched. It is soooo mean and DEF. not ricey...

Good Lord...If I heard that sound come from a Civic or something, I'd probably piss myself.

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
it really is an amazing sound. Videos don't do it justice. I get people at the track ALL THE TIME asking if I broke my exhaust going down the track or if I have a cutout. People LOVE it. With an EBC it would be better because it will stay quiet longer. It will START to open when accelerating semi hard, and full on when under full boost (or close to it).

There were 3 (15-18 maybe) girls walking on the road (very slowly) in front of my house. I had to wait for them to pass my driveway before I could back out. Of course I rolled the windows down, waited for them to get a few feet past the driveway, backed out, and punched the gas right next to them. When the wg opened (right next to them)they both let out horror movie style screams. (you know, the blood curdling (sp?) ones). You can't beat it.

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
LOL. Damnit...that is one thing I've really been ignoring to do.

Anybody want to sell a DDP? :icon_conf. I really want one. Pleeeeease? :(

I hate you guys. :cry:

I'm jealous. :(

:EDIT: You say EBC's keep it shut longer? Gooooood.

HKS EVC, FTW. ;););) I'm so glad I'm EBC now. I hate Manual Boost Controllers...

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
shaeff said:
97TSiAWD: i have a BIC ddp and i don't get that sound at idle. they probably have bad exhaust manifold, turbo, or cat gaskets...

-shaeff

Nope mine doesn't leak. I'm saying it's a possibility since the Exhaust and WG tube's are now both open to eachother when they both exit the Turbo/WG, the only thing seperating is the tab, which can sometimes not be perfectly sealed.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
shaeff said:

looking forward to having my car not be put in the same group as all the ricers around here. i get those looks. i hate that.

-shaeff
Shaeff: My old system was a full 3" with 1 x 24" hotdog and 1x 12" it measured 97db and made xxxrwhp my new system is 3.5" downpipe> 3.5" Metal Cat> 3.5" x twin 2.5" Y pipe> 2 x 2.5" stainless race mufflers> 2 more stainless Can mufflers and is 88db (2db under the legal limit) and picked up 20 hp at the top end but picked up 70>80 hp midrange and makes the same power 1000 rpm earlier!

The dyno chart is before and after the exhaust that being the only change!

3.5" Downpipe

2.5" Stainless Mufflers

3.5" Metal Cat

Last dyno session

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
I love the dual set-up IJ, looks awesome.
Too bad you can't do that with the stock gastank. I'm jealous lol.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I'm a bit blown away by how well it works! :)

It's about as quiet as a stock NA but makes a whole heap more midrange than the 3" I had on! (that was pretty well straight through but loud as fuck on boost, I mean bricks in walls shattered birds fell from the sky dead and small children bled from the ears with it at 7500+)

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
IJ. said:
I'm a bit blown away by how well it works! :)

It's about as quiet as a stock NA but makes a whole heap more midrange than the 3" I had on! (that was pretty well straight through but loud as fuck on boost, I mean bricks in walls shattered birds fell from the sky dead and small children bled from the ears with it at 7500+)

If I had more money, I would be your agent and you would be performing at comedy clubs across the world...............:yelrotflm

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
IJ. said:
bricks in walls shattered birds fell from the sky dead and small children bled from the ears with it at 7500+)

LoLzz! I thought I was reading out of some kind of friggin' book with all the descriptions you used. hehe.

I'm a loser, huh? :icon_conf

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Loser is such a harsh word Jspec................Well I couldn't come up with another one that fit. Maybe challenged?................lol

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
IJ. said:
Mass: You can ;)

You just use a Dual in/out 2.5" muffler on the left side!
(will be building this for Allan's car soon)
juat one question... why does your car have to be so badass.... in fact, why do all of your cars have to be so badass :biglaugh: :naughty: AND it has a trailer hitch... :love: :rofl: