Best production year MkIII Supra

charlesshen

Jun 5, 2007
orlando
all i can say is that all years are great i love them all i just love supra
i got an 89 wide body with 88 mirrors and im thinking of shaving center grill on my greddy style bumper it all depends on taste

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
suprabad;991580 said:
Everyone keeps mentioning:

A. Older climate control.
Yeah they Suck but are easily replaceable with newer climate control, straight plug in. I have one from a '91 in my '87.

B. Pre-89's don't have many options.
My car has everything you can think of (ABS, LSD, power everything etc.) w/the exception of a power tilt seatback. Virtually anything else can be added. The practical exception is probably progressive power steering.

I've driven (only owned an '87) a few different years of Supra's and frankly I don't think there's a whole lot of difference in the way they drive (from year to year). Mostly it's condition. (I'll mail a check for 2 cents).
The main reasons I chose a 1991 the second time around was for the 6.5" front speakers and updated body style. Shadow grey interior helps too.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Although ive only owned my 89..I love 89+ front end waaaay better than the pre 89 and taillights are a duhh.. And something i like about my 89 is it is one of the earlier ones so its got the old style motor mounts and torque brace so i wont be breaking motor mounts! Id like to have an airbag but its no biggie. I dont plan to wreck my car anyways.
Since my civic was my first car(which i still own;DD) I have fallen in love with my Supra all over again.RWD is ftw..I6 turbo FTW..LSD FTW..My mom thinks my 89 mk3 rides better(with tokico blues+eibachs) than her '05 is300.

Last edited:

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
themadhatter;991930 said:
My 87 turbo came with almost every option avaliable I'm only missing 2 things a super monitor(not sure if they even came on early 87's) and leather:3d_frown:

My 86.5 has leather seats, supermonitor, and a power tilt seatback. It came with leather but I added the SM and I have 89 leather front seats. If your car ain't got something you want, then get it :icon_bigg

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I love my '88.

At earlier stages of ownership, I got 89+ tails, mirrors & recently front bumper.

I'm torn between the Pre89 and 89+ Front ends. They are both very sexy with a clean setup and nice front lip.

Mirrors...For my car, anyway, I like 89+ more.

And tails...Well,
I liked 89+ a lot more for the longest time, but the longer I think about it...The more I realize how similar they are to a Buick Regal. :icon_conf
They look newer...and that's what I think most people are after.
But I do love Pre89 tails, too.

My '88 is my love. Leather, Hardtop, Auto, Supermonitor, TEMS, Full Power Seat and Midnight Blue. :love:

Jeff

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Poodles;992760 said:
They come out too fast compared to modern ones.

They HURT like being punched in the face....cause they basicly do...

LMAO - I can see that almost like it was designed that way.

"Sir, the air bag deploys too quickly. The bag ends up hitting the driver with the force of a solid punch to the face."

"Exactly. Maybe the bastard will think twice next time he is on the road!"

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Well, they where originally designed as a replacement for seatbelts, and then after more people use seat belts, they could slow them down a bit so as to reduce injuries from them.

People DIED from the damn things when they first came out. I'd rather have modern airbags or none at all IMHO...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
90+ = ugly ass airbag steering wheel

only reason I'd want a 92 is for the rareness and it would more than likely have less miles and be cleaner, as for looks, it looks the same as any other 89+

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
I love my 89. Especially since I have a white package, all my trim matches. I like my blue interior, because I have painted a few pieces black, to contrast. I just cannot get used to the weird dip of the pre-89 bumpers. The bottom piece looks like it has no "jaw." Even the ass is ugly. Mirrors are worse. Steering wheel is ugly, and so are the gray tape buttons.

Pre-89's look like an 80's car and 89+'s come into the new decade quite nicely. Compare them to a Z31 300zx, or an Fc RX7. The 89+ Supra has aged nicely, compared to those square monstrosities.