Best production year MkIII Supra

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The earlier cars are lighter because they don't have a lot of little things like ABS, extra bracing, and as much insulation.

Oh, and the issue with the taillights is easy to fix, see my sig (no they aren't JDM, and no they aren't tinted or painted)

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
Depends on what you want out of your supra?

If you want a supra for RACE & Original design go for a 1986.5 lighten it up put in a 1jz or 2jz go hardtop with jdm tails pre 89 front lip clear markers CF hood & headlight covers goto town and have fun with it add some TIEN RA coilovers. 5 speed trans 3"exhaust all upgrades.. you can get weights down to 3000lbs but will factory weigh in at 3400 with no added options factory except LSD.

If you want a flashy chick car with AC and all the options or for show get the newest one in teal with moonroof or targaroof turbo 7m teal with shadow grey interior comes with heavy equipment like airbags extra frame suport pps equipment abs etc.. might as well get this car in automatic also you will weigh verry close to 3700lbs

Also if you want a car with more options go for the newer one not only because it haves more options but also because they might last longer and still work in better condition with the newer the car!

So far my favorite MKIII to own is the 1986.5 because I built this one for race and nothing smacks a VIPER in the face more then when you 86ed him (86=Beat) with some old 1986 car LOLZ especialy for pinks when your laughing him off my 1986 toyota beat your 2006 viper lol.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
Everyone keeps mentioning:

A. Older climate control.
Yeah they Suck but are easily replaceable with newer climate control, straight plug in. I have one from a '91 in my '87.

B. Pre-89's don't have many options.
My car has everything you can think of (ABS, LSD, power everything etc.) w/the exception of a power tilt seatback. Virtually anything else can be added. The practical exception is probably progressive power steering.

I've driven (only owned an '87) a few different years of Supra's and frankly I don't think there's a whole lot of difference in the way they drive (from year to year). Mostly it's condition. (I'll mail a check for 2 cents).

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
themadhatter;990845 said:
I love the way my 87 looks but given the chance i could trade it for a 92 teal turbo lol

Sup? :D

I'm also going to have my 5-speed swap completed in the next couple of weeks!

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
Big Wang Bandit;991176 said:
Full power seats were an option. All years

Hmmm, never knew that, I guess no one around here ever bought the power recline option.

SuprA70

SF.com 'Grounded' Champ
Whichever year Toyota decided to drop the homo color options, that's the best Supra year :evil2:

Pre 89 bumpers do look aggressive... WITH a lip (aftermarket or NON-warped stock lip). Without it, they look absurdly effeminate.

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
My 88 has the birdcage light, thought it was a radar alarm saying 'you're about to be jailed' the first time I saw it.

89+ taillights look good when the center matches, I've yet to find the correct match for mine so no update yet.

Mischief7m

Broke and Lovin It
Sep 13, 2007
Central Ma / Cape Cod Ma
i think everyone just loves theyre supra.

personally, i love my 90, because i have spent countless hours making it just the way i want.

hell, i spend more time with my car than i do with my girlfriend.

themadhatter

Jul 5, 2006
Vegas
suprabad;991580 said:
Everyone keeps mentioning:

A. Older climate control.
Yeah they Suck but are easily replaceable with newer climate control, straight plug in. I have one from a '91 in my '87.

B. Pre-89's don't have many options.
My car has everything you can think of (ABS, LSD, power everything etc.) w/the exception of a power tilt seatback. Virtually anything else can be added. The practical exception is probably progressive power steering.

I've driven (only owned an '87) a few different years of Supra's and frankly I don't think there's a whole lot of difference in the way they drive (from year to year). Mostly it's condition. (I'll mail a check for 2 cents).

My 87 turbo came with almost every option avaliable I'm only missing 2 things a super monitor(not sure if they even came on early 87's) and leather:3d_frown:

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
i got a 87 n/a .and i think the 87 is the best cause im gona replace all the factory stuff such as the steering wheel to nardi and a wood shift knob ,momo and sparco milano seats two 12 in jl subs and veilside wheels.on a 3 grand budget.plus i think the pre 89 lights look way better.and a hks sport exhaust so when all that is done it will be better than any stocker 86.5-92 so its all good .

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
ok, I'll let the cat outta the bag...

remove the stupid silver paint off the back of the center piece, and cover up the holes in the backplate with electrical tape (or if your car is black it won't matter)

Remove the lense part carefully and soak it in castol super clean and get to scrubbing the paint off...

p992149_1.jpg

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Poodles;992149 said:
ok, I'll let the cat outta the bag...
Great info, but too much work for me. :) I'll leave my tail lights the way that they are.

Without a way to quantify what the "best" is, there's no way that people are going to agree on everything.

I like the '89+ interior better. I like the instruments, climate control and interior trim differences better. That's my personal preference.

I like the styling changes for '89, too. The mirrors and tail lights particularly. The grille I could go either way on, no real strong preference there.

I like the '91+ 5 spoke wheels better, but that's one reason that I bought aftermarket rims.

I'm pretty sure that I'd be perfectly happy driving a '91T or '92T looking just like it did from the factory. Earlier models, I'd want to change, which to me means that they're not as good.

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Dan_Gyoba;992162 said:
I'm pretty sure that I'd be perfectly happy driving a '91T or '92T looking just like it did from the factory. Earlier models, I'd want to change, which to me means that they're not as good.

Agreed, that's why I bought a 92.

This thread should be called "post what year Supra you have" since that's what just about everyone is doing.