BC valve springs

Jimmysmk3

Banned
Apr 6, 2005
Oakhurst, NJ
anyone running these? im looking to upgrade my valve springs to be compatible with the BC 272 cams. On the Brian Crower site they recommend the springs and retainers for their cams. are the stock retainers weak? if not ill just get the BC springs as they are only 110 rather than 350 for springs and retainers.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
The Comp Cams # 975 are better, and cost less !
You need to order 2 sets of Comp Cams 975-12 (12 is how many are in the package).
Depending where you find them, they are about $35 per set, so $70ish total.

selfinfliction

Dec 11, 2007
ky
gofastgeorge;899915 said:
You need to order 2 sets of Comp Cams 975-12 (12 is how many are in the package).

good info to have, i may go ahead and order a new set since my crap is all apart... thanks

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Just put the 975 springs in on Friday. It's a tight squeeze in the valve seat, and fitting the buckets over, oh and I highly suggest buying a valve spring compressor. It's a bitch doing the PCV pipe/magnet trick.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
MassSupra89;910372 said:
Just put the 975 springs in on Friday. It's a bitch doing the PCV pipe/magnet trick.

I bet !!
I made one from a 4" 'C' clamp,
by extending the main frame with steel flat stock.
But any of the tool guys should have them.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
Yeahdoug;910566 said:
We make BC springs. As far as I know they've been reliable for him. I have Ferreas myself, which we also make.

I have only seen one reference to his (BC) springs breaking, but seeing who had the problem, it wouldn't suprise me if he had caused it himself........

But I have handled the BC cams, and they look like shi........
Do you know by chance who he has making them?

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
gofastgeorge;899915 said:

Is this your opion, or proven fact?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I wouldn't say the Comp Cam springs are better, but they are an excellent, less expensive alternative.

And I also wouldn't say the BC cams "look like shit"...I have a set. The oil feed groove on one cam (intake iirc) is a bit wider than stock, but it should not be an issue.

Yeahdoug

Jun 3, 2005
Rochester Hills, MI
gofastgeorge;930061 said:
I have only seen one reference to his (BC) springs breaking, but seeing who had the problem, it wouldn't suprise me if he had caused it himself........

But I have handled the BC cams, and they look like shi........
Do you know by chance who he has making them?

No , I do not know who's making his cams. We only make springs.

I do have a set of 272s from him. After I cleaned them up they looked ok. I haven't measured all the journals yet though. THe one oil groove is a lot wider. Hopefully it won't cause a problems. I'll just have to check it after a few thousand miles and see.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
They are stronger (higher spring pressure).
And if your going to more aggressive cams, and or more boost, then you need more spring pressure.
The reason why I mention boost, is that it is acting against the valve closing.
The higher the boost, the more it tries to hold the valve open.
At 15 psi boost, there is over 18 pounds of force being exerted on the valve, trying to open it (or hold it open). At 20 psi it jumps to 25 pounds of force.

Force = pressure x area.
7M intake valve (stock 32mm) has 1.246 sq. in. of area.

The springs in your head are the same as the NA 7M uses, so they are boarder line at best, even at mild boost numbers.
Toyota didn't design the 7MGTE with the thought of:
"Oh, we know people are going to boost controls on these,
we better make them capable of taking 20 psi" !
No, they made it just good enough to get buy.

Add big cams, with more aggressive ramp angles to this mix, and you run into floating valves.

You don't need to have the same killer springs on a mild boosted engine as someone who is running 30+ psi.
So build for what your goals are.