BC valve springs

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
TheNewRed;931086 said:
Well are the BC and Crower springs BETTER compared to stock or not?????

Here's the spring seat pressures for the various ones available:
Stock - 35 lbs
Comp Cams - 55 lbs
BC - 60 lbs
Ferrea - 67 lbs (dual spring)

Becomes a factor with more agressive cams and/or higher rpm (8K +) levels. The Comp springs are the best bang for the buck if you're running stock engine rpm IMO. And you can use the stock retainer, no problem.

starscream5000;930961 said:
When did you become a mod John?

Couple days ago ;)

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
jdub;931165 said:
Stock - 35 lbs
Comp Cams - 55 lbs
BC - 60 lbs

Becomes a factor with more agressive cams and/or higher rpm (8K +) levels. The Comp springs are the best bang for the buck if you're running stock engine rpm IMO. And you can use the stock retainer, no problem.

Thanks for the little chart, i just didnt know if they were actually a good buy or not, i know why stonger valve springs are needed. I actually am in the process of porting my spare head to go on in about a month and i dont have the money for the nice ferrea equipment. I Beleive im going to be using a set of BC cams will the stock retainers hold up with BC springs?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
What cams...264? They should...the Comp springs should as well so long as you keep the stock rpm redline.

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
starscream5000;930075 said:
Is this your opion, or proven fact?

LOl you know this to be an opinion for sure Starscream. Where's your supporting evidece to factually back up this statement about the Comp cams being stronger. I have used the 975 from Competition cam for years, and now while using my 272 BC cams I have had no issuses so far. However I will not go as far to say they are better than BC, or Ferrea springs. I feel you are not accurate on your analysis, However they will work. Some of you guys always offer information based on opinion as fact, and mislead people. I used the stock retainers with no issues on 2 builds.

Last edited:

QWIKSTRIKE

Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
jdub;931537 said:
What cams...264? They should...the Comp springs should as well so long as you keep the stock rpm redline.

I have been running a 7400rpm red line, an have so far revved to 7200rpms successfully. I think that I had a discssion with a tech that said 72-7400rpms will be fine.

QWIKSTRIKE

Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
jdub;931165 said:
Stock - 35 lbs
Comp Cams - 55 lbs
BC - 60 lbs

Couple days ago ;)

This is based on the chart at compettion cams; However Suprarich did a report back in the BC cam group buy thread where he addressed that while at the stock seated height the Competition cams have a greater seated pressure, which I recall was about equal to the BC springs, or higher. You may want to check with Rich on his findings, and Data that those springs to be much higher than the stated pressure on that chart for our heads. Again this was because of the seated spring height for our cars was different than seated pressure listed on the chart from what I recall. Rich you want to chime in here and correct me f I have mistated your data?:naughty::biglaugh:

The revvng over the stock rpm limit to 8000+rpms I definitely agree with JDub that we should use ferrea's, and according to Chevyeater, and I.J. that's the only choice for them. So your summary is quite accurate Jdub; However I felt the need to add my findings from personal use, and also to help along the factual data findings with a valve spring that is a viable option. "I heard these springs seated pressure are higher than the seated pressure of stock 2jzgte motors", and the 2jz owners have revved their stock motors to 7200+ sucessfully.

Last edited:

QWIKSTRIKE

Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
TheNewRed;931528 said:
Thanks for the little chart, i just didnt know if they were actually a good buy or not, i know why stonger valve springs are needed. I actually am in the process of porting my spare head to go on in about a month and i dont have the money for the nice ferrea equipment. I Beleive im going to be using a set of BC cams will the stock retainers hold up with BC springs?

Get the competition springs and use the stock retainers. You will be fine as long as you heve a machine shop install them.

Last edited:

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
NP Ant...glad to hear the comp springs are working well for ya. My gut feeling was that they could handle any float issues at higher rpm, but I can't prove it. You just confirmed what I was thinking...I hate to tell someone that this or that will work and not "really know" ;)

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Just looked it up in the Ferrea catalog...they list at 67 lbs for the 7M.

The 2J has several springs available:
Std dual - 65 lbs
Special alloy dual - 87 lbs
High pressure PAC alloy - 115 lbs

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
The set I use are the "Special alloy" ones ;)

Didn't realise they only list a single type for the 7M but you can get the alternates. (If I can find my invoices I'll provide part numbers)

I ended up replacing 3 of mine when I broke one and the installed pressure was 89 ft/lbs (1 broke and 2 had lost 10 ft/lbs now I'm wondering if they had shipped a mixed set DOH)

QWIKSTRIKE

Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
jdub;932487 said:
NP Ant...glad to hear the comp springs are working well for ya. My gut feeling was that they could handle any float issues at higher rpm, but I can't prove it. You just confirmed what I was thinking...I hate to tell someone that this or that will work and not "really know" ;)

The real question Jdub is how much rpm is going to be run, and take it from there. So ar I have found going to 7200rpms to be fine with the Comp Cams. If you are going to run much higher I'd go Ferrea or better. IJ did't you get some customs done?

turbodriz

mk3 onwer
Feb 25, 2006
newyork....N.c
Unless u have a high lift cam with a monster turbo 7200 is where most of the off the shelve cams are making there power;) I was interested in the bc but I think I'll go for the over kill and get the dual ferrea just in case I can afford custom billet cams.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
QWIKSTRIKE;932596 said:
The real question Jdub is how much rpm is going to be run, and take it from there. So ar I have found going to 7200rpms to be fine with the Comp Cams. If you are going to run much higher I'd go Ferrea or better. IJ did't you get some customs done?

Exactly...I'd run Ferrea duals myself if I was going for the rpms IJ runs ;)
[cheap (relatively) insurance]

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
QWIKSTRIKE;932069 said:
This is based on the chart at compettion cams; However Suprarich did a report back in the BC cam group buy thread where he addressed that while at the stock seated height the Competition cams have a greater seated pressure, which I recall was about equal to the BC springs, or higher. You may want to check with Rich on his findings, and Data that those springs to be much higher than the stated pressure on that chart for our heads. Again this was because of the seated spring height for our cars was different than seated pressure listed on the chart from what I recall. Rich you want to chime in here and correct me f I have mistated your data?:naughty::biglaugh:

I recall this as well, the comp cams were reported to sit higher in the 7M head, but we would need proof to back up the claim, but I do know what you are talking about ;).

QWIKSTRIKE

Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
starscream5000;934652 said:
I recall this as well, the comp cams were reported to sit higher in the 7M head, but we would need proof to back up the claim, but I do know what you are talking about ;).

As I recall they sat at the same installed height as the BC springs which made the installed seated pressure to be higher. I think they came close to the BC seated pressure at that seated height Starscream. I am glad you recall something to this as well.

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
I have been running 7200 rpms on stock springs and retainers for over a year now with no drama. So the Comp Cams or BC springs should have no issues with 7200 to 7400 rpm.

Sean