Bad idea 101

S

SageMoonblade

Ok I figure you will all hate me in about 30 seconds however hear me out.

I am planning a swap for my car, no it isn't a Supra but I want to use a better engine then what came from the car. My Mitsubishi 3000gt VR4 goes through engines like water. Though I love the looks of the car and it really isn't worth anything without a running drive line I can't see myself putting the V6 engine back in. They have really bad lower end issues and nobody can seem to tell me exactly why. The last engine went out after being professionally built by a 3000gt specific mechanic with over 20 years Mitsubishi experience. The engine went out on stock boost pressures with only 30k on it. The oil was changed every 1200 miles and the coolant was flushed every 2400. Had a new larger oil cooler, inter-coolers and radiator when the new engine was put in. All 6 engines have been lower end, rod bearing, failures. I am sick of putting $3000-$7000 into to it every 2-4 years.

Anyway back to the swap, I am looking for hard to find info on the 7mgte engines and the transmissions. I need complete engine dimensions. Top of the TB to the lowest point of the oil pan is the main one I need and a complete length. Also need to know all the length, width and height of the 5 speed manual transmission along with the shifter location. Also looking to find out the difference between the 4X4 truck transmission the R150 and the Supra R154.

Any info you can give me on these or any other aspects I might find useful about the swap, I would be happy to have. Also would like some feed back on how you all feel about it.

Planning to use a MegaSquirt computer so that wont be an issue.

SageMoonblade;900197 said:
Ok I figure you will all hate me in about 30 seconds however hear me out.

I am planning a swap for my car, no it isn't a Supra but I want to use a better engine then what came from the car. My Mitsubishi 3000gt VR4 goes through engines like water. Though I love the looks of the car and it really isn't worth anything without a running drive line I can't see myself putting the V6 engine back in. They have really bad lower end issues and nobody can seem to tell me exactly why. The last engine went out after being professionally built by a 3000gt specific mechanic with over 20 years Mitsubishi experience. The engine went out on stock boost pressures with only 30k on it. The oil was changed every 1200 miles and the coolant was flushed every 2400. Had a new larger oil cooler, inter-coolers and radiator when the new engine was put in. All 6 engines have been lower end, rod bearing, failures. I am sick of putting $3000-$7000 into to it every 2-4 years.

Anyway back to the swap, I am looking for hard to find info on the 7mgte engines and the transmissions. I need complete engine dimensions. Top of the TB to the lowest point of the oil pan is the main one I need and a complete length. Also need to know all the length, width and height of the 5 speed manual transmission along with the shifter location. Also looking to find out the difference between the 4X4 truck transmission the R150 and the Supra R154.

Any info you can give me on these or any other aspects I might find useful about the swap, I would be happy to have. Also would like some feed back on how you all feel about it.

Planning to use a MegaSquirt computer so that wont be an issue.

woo hoo... welcome... and you have come to the right place... you should look into the different sections of this website...

i know you will find what you need... as long as they all show interest in what you want to do. we have lots of experts here!!!

S

SageMoonblade

Yes it is a transverse mount engine and transmission however it is still all-wheel drive. But there is about 3 feet by 3 feet of space.... I plan to try to put the 7m engine in longitudinal though.

S

SageMoonblade

One off set of home made engine mounts and trans mounts. It seems easy enough. May have to fabricate a new cross-member though. The car has what would look like a standard transmission tunnel in it heading toward the rear end.

eman2289

Noob..but not incompetent
Feb 23, 2007
Jersey
Damn, sounds cool. Good luck with it and just to let you know, you have gained the interest of a very smart man (IJ). I would suggest taking into account any of his suggestions.

Adrian98

Banned
Dec 19, 2006
orange county
what do you do to your VR4 to blow that motor? because if you can blow that you'll blow a 7m without a sweat.
I'd love to see a bastard some of a 7m-vr4 though

S

SageMoonblade

If I need to I can modify the rear floor pan for the transfer case but I am about 80% sure that the front of the tunnel will fir the transmission itself just fine. A GM type T5 transmission fit into it. But I need the R150 transmission dimensions to be 100% on the shift location and tunnel width.

S

SageMoonblade

The Stock Mitsubishi engines all went under normal conditions. This last one went at idle while backing out of my driveway one day this past summer.

Adrian98

Banned
Dec 19, 2006
orange county
SageMoonblade;900264 said:
The Stock Mitsubishi engines all went under normal conditions. This last one went at idle while backing out of my driveway one day this past summer.
engines don't just die at idle for no reason.
are you planning to keep this thing awd somehow?
i sy start cutting now so there's no backing out

S

SageMoonblade

By went I mean put I mean the back 3 rods all let loose at once. I have 3 holes in the back side of the block about the size of a quarter. Upon further inspection the front 3 cylinders had cracked the pistons. This was a Professional built engine under normal operating conditions.

S

SageMoonblade

The Mitsubishi v6 engine that is for the 3000gt has a bad oiling problem and i have yet to hear of a single fix that works... There will be a different engine going into it. Not gonna put a new engine into 30k miles.

Adrian98

Banned
Dec 19, 2006
orange county
SageMoonblade;900279 said:
By went I mean put I mean the back 3 rods all let loose at once. I have 3 holes in the back side of the block about the size of a quarter. Upon further inspection the front 3 cylinders had cracked the pistons. This was a Professional built engine under normal operating conditions.

doesn't sound too Professionally built to me if the rods bolts were not thread locked on