Votes: 18 14.2%
  • Composite, No Machining -- Problems

Votes: 4 3.1%

• Total voters

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Please answer truthfully... Trying to compile some statistics.

Sorry for so many choices, just wanted to get a good data set.

If you select that you had a problem, it should mean that it was a problem that appeared to be caused by the preparation. Please elaborate on any problems in a post, if you would.

Again, be honest. We all know how it's supposed to be done. Don't vote that way just to try to convince everybody.

Last edited:

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
If you're not going for big power, a composite will be fine... For bigger boost, a MHG is usually a good idea. The question is kind of open-ended. I'm stock and I have a Toyota OEM with no problems, but if I were to increase boost and detonate, there might be a problem with my composite.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Idealsupra said:
i swear to god if i see ANY number other then ZERO next to any of the "no machine work" options someone is getting kicked in the nuts.

No threats, lol - just trying to get an accurate picture. I know it's very generic b/c it doesn't take into account mods, but I think it will still be useful.

I would ask that if you post a "problem" result and don't mind sharing, that would be nice.

If you answer machined block and head and you still had problems, it would definitely be nice if you told us you were also running 700hp...

Any details about failures would be great.

I think this poll might be very useful, but people really need to say what was actually done...

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
swaq said:
Where's the "original for 200k+ miles -- no problems" option?

Lol, I can certainly add it, if you tell me how...

I am trying to gain perspective on how preparation affects the used components. It would be interesting to know how many are doing good w/o HG repair, though.

I posted this link in my build thread, but I think it is relevant here as well: http://suprasonic.org/HKS/hksgaskets.html

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
Don't worry about it. My '87 had 204k on the odometer when it crashed. The head gasket never gave me problems, despite enduring overheating (bad thermostat), hard driving, and never having the head retorqued (as far as I know). It was a non-turbo though.

I'm not positive on my current setup, though I know it's a composite head gasket with ARP hardware torqued down to something like 85 or 90 ft-lb :aigo: No problems so far, I don't know what the block prep was, maybe I should look through the records...

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Yeah, I am doing my HG as preventative maintenance (have 80k on the car). No signs that it had blown, and everything seemed pretty tight. I think I got really lucky that I decided to do it, it was definitely not looking good in there.

conundrum07

Just say no to Supras
Feb 26, 2007
Kansas City
I did mine before it blew as maintenance while the engine was out. Machined head and (carefully) scraped the block clean with a razor blade. Sprayed some copper sealant stuff on the MHG, slapped it on and torqued it down to 85 (IIRC) with ARP's. Never had any problems with it. Even after blowing holes in my pistons with a bad tune the HG still held great haha.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
JustAnotherVictim said:
Do it right.

Trying to figure out what "right" is. It seems there are different opinions. The article I linked should explain why the question came up. I trust Reg's opinion quite a bit more than most.

I am also weighing risk/reward based on my options.

I am currently planning on doing a composite with the head machined, which technically is "right", but I am trying to see how risky it would be to step up to a MHG.

Since it seems (according to the write up) that getting the block machined to the correct tolerances is going to be tough, I don't know that I want to try.

Anyway, this isn't an argument about HG, rather just trying to gather honest, empirical data to evaluate my decision.