Am I the only stock car in here?

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
My '88 is pretty much stock. It's down for engine replacement right now with a remanned longblock, with all the assorted new/upgraded hardware like ARP headbolts and a good gasket set. But I don't plan on doing anything much to the drivetrain to mod it out, as I'm more interested in it as a reliable, capable ride with some solid umph than something to scare my passengers.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
To the OP: Just put a full 3-inch exhaust from the turbo-back. That will net you a 30-40 hp gain! O_O Best of all, the car will be just as reliable as it was before. My car made 300WHP on the dyno, and it is very reliable...

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
stock was fun for about 3 days, then I realized how antequated the stock power and performance is, I only have basic mods, FMIC, Hardpipes, intake, 3 inch turbo back exhaust, MBC set to 10psi, and then brake and suspension upgrades and stock auto tranny but its fun enough for a fewm ore months.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
I'm pretty close to stock. Just an intake which probably doesn't do much and a slightly larger than factory exhaust. It's not bad, and I enjoy the car still. Oh well. The quote in my signature says it all :)

Red92Turbo

1of1193
Nov 26, 2007
Trenton
I'm stock and plan on keeping it that way. It's quick enough for what I need. If and when I need to do anything in the exhaust I may go with something a little larger though.

mattman

Oct 8, 2007
Michigan
bluemkiii;992687 said:
Yeah if you don't have at least 300rwhp somethings wrong with you:biglaugh:

yeah like lack of money...but what do you expect form a highschool kid flipping burgers to keep up the supra?

phatbimmer

Toyota Technician
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago, IL
www.funpedia.org
I good sir have a stock supra :p

p993925_1.jpg

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
sluggo42;992504 said:
Seems like everyone has a 300 HP car in here. Am I the only one who loves a stock supe? Auto and QUIET!

Not the only one!

sluggo42;992659 said:
I bought mine without knowing what it was, just something to drive rather than my slightly modified cummins dodge.
It is my daily driver because it's soooo smooth on the freeway, cruises at 80 with ease, handles better than I had any idea it would, and when clean, it looks very cool. (black with dark tint)

Your description fits the intention perfectly. Only problem for Toyota was, those who wanted that kind of car bought something else. Those that couldn't afford a Supra seemed to want it for performance, when there were much better bang for the buck deals.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
GrimJack;993130 said:
This is truth.

Problem is, when something breaks on my 20 year old car, which happens, I'm faced with a choice.

I can buy a new turbo from Toyota... for $2900 if I have it shipped up from the USA, just under $6000 if I get it locally. Umm... WTF??? Or, I can buy a brand new high performance turbo kit from any number of performance shops, including new IC piping, IC, oil lines, manifold, everything I need to bolt it on, and still have money left over to take the family on vacation to Hawaii for a week.

The fact that the aftermarket kit put an extra 350+ hp at my disposal is a side effect.

Yep, main reason I went to hardpipes and I'm buying a stainless steel exhaust, it's more durable AND cheaper than stock, not to mention the performance gain.

suprabad;993157 said:
Agreed.

Some parts you have no choice...gotta go Toyota.

But I have no problem using an as good or better aftermarket part.

But I will not put inferior, cheap Chinese parts on my car, just not worth whatever you "think" you saved.

Only reason I mention this is because of the plethora of crappy parts at every "chain" parts store. In fact, that seems to be all the "pep boys" class of parts store has to offer.

I don't know how it is elsewhere, but in SoCal you can pretty much forget these type of stores for anything other than generic supplies (oil, wax, etc.)

The fact is, every inferior part you put on your Supra (or any decent car), diminishes it's reliability, drivability, and value. That, my friends is no bargain.

Even worse, India. I had OEM motor mounts in my truck and broke them with well over 180K miles on the clock. I replaced em with parts store crap and I broke em on a trail within 6 months.

Or how about the fact that toyota has two different fan clutches depending upon if you're turbo or not, but the parts stores have one for both and it's half the size of the stock GTE one? I bought the one from the dealer cause I KNOW it will last another 150K miles.

cool chuck

I like rims!
Nov 15, 2007
Maryland
I'm mostly stock...for now. About to replace the stock exhaust. I bought this car to play with. But i won't ruin it by using poor quality parts or doing sloppy work on it. i want it to be in my driveway for a while.