Am I the only stock car in here?

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
stock is for chumps and chumpettes. If i wanted stock id buy a camry

well, its all really a matter of personal prefrence. I prefer big turbo, lots of noise and balls to the wall acceleration.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The main reason I'm getting a new exhaust is to get rid of the drone...

Recirculated DDP is next on the list, I'd like a bit more luxury back into my luxury GT car...

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
A stock mkIII turbo is hardly considered fast compared to cars now... you can buy a cobalt 4 banger with 260hp at the crank... from a 2L... or more if you're willing to fork over the cash to the stealership for the engine tuning options. That's rediculous.

I don't see much point to owning a stock MkIII if it's not 100% mint. Otherwise, mod the crap out of it and make it sadistically fast and have fun... that's what the car, to me, is all about: fun.

My mkIII looks stock, maybe even a bit worse for wear... But it has a few surprises under the hood and under the wheel wells.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
My car is auto and except for the exhaust, is pretty much stock....for now. I've got a full 3" exhaust from the turbo back. I love the ride of a stock supra so no suspension mods. As money allows, I may upgrade fuel and turbo. I'll be happy to get 300 HP.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
SevenMKIII;992585 said:
Maybe so but you have one of the meanest stances on the forum IMHO :sarcasm:

:p Thanks. It is only stock for now. No clue when it is going to change though, but when it does it is going to be all out at once.

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
My supra was standard right down to the lugnuts on the sawblades ;).

I never had the urge to go mad on my NA, The car that I learnt to drive in was family sized car (3200ish+) and had 95horsepower (when it was brand new, ten years ago), needless to say stepping up from that made the Supra feel like a rocket.

The next one I get will remain standard... for about five seconds :D.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Poodles;992702 said:
I live by the motto: if it breaks fix it right with either OEM or a better aftermarket part.

-Intercooler pipes cracking, went to hardpipes.
-Stock intake box won't fit with new IC pipes, new intake.
-Broken downpipe at the flex section, DDP.
-Cat's going out and the exhaust is rusting out, new high flow cat and exhaust from Raptor.

It never ends I tell yah...
This is truth.

Problem is, when something breaks on my 20 year old car, which happens, I'm faced with a choice.

I can buy a new turbo from Toyota... for $2900 if I have it shipped up from the USA, just under $6000 if I get it locally. Umm... WTF??? Or, I can buy a brand new high performance turbo kit from any number of performance shops, including new IC piping, IC, oil lines, manifold, everything I need to bolt it on, and still have money left over to take the family on vacation to Hawaii for a week.

The fact that the aftermarket kit put an extra 350+ hp at my disposal is a side effect.

rs4rush

Jan 25, 2007
Kirkland, Wa
suprabad;993120 said:
Stock???

B..b..b..but then it's gonna be slow.....oh my god, I think he's serious.

Its true I am serious...:icon_roll My car was pefect! I wouldnt change what I have done I just wish I could clone it, Then bubble wrap it and never touch it again.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
GrimJack;993130 said:
... a new turbo from Toyota... for $2900...just under $6000 if I get it locally. ...I can buy a brand new high performance turbo kit from ...performance shops, including new IC piping, IC, oil lines, manifold, everything...have money left over to take the family on vacation to Hawaii for a week.

The fact that the aftermarket kit put an extra 350+ hp at my disposal is a side effect.

Agreed.

Some parts you have no choice...gotta go Toyota.

But I have no problem using an as good or better aftermarket part.

But I will not put inferior, cheap Chinese parts on my car, just not worth whatever you "think" you saved.

Only reason I mention this is because of the plethora of crappy parts at every "chain" parts store. In fact, that seems to be all the "pep boys" class of parts store has to offer.

I don't know how it is elsewhere, but in SoCal you can pretty much forget these type of stores for anything other than generic supplies (oil, wax, etc.)

Beware of the "lifetime warranty". It's usually touted by stores that are staffed with people who will tell you things like "Yeah it's shitty quality but when it wears out we'll give you a new one"...yeah...great. What they don't acknowledge is the time it takes to keep doing the same job over and over as a result of these inferior parts.

The fact is, every inferior part you put on your Supra (or any decent car), diminishes it's reliability, drivability, and value. That, my friends is no bargain.