89 octane???

ViR2

Supraniac
May 20, 2006
Lithuania
www.hpaddict.eu
I'm always running 98 or sometimes 105octane. When switching to 95 it feels to be a little more laggy. and by the way, i get better gas mileage with higher octane so it is cheaper to put that in my gas tank rather then some cheap fuel with crappy gas mileage ;)

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
ViR2 said:
I'm always running 98 or sometimes 105octane. When switching to 95 it feels to be a little more laggy. and by the way, i get better gas mileage with higher octane so it is cheaper to put that in my gas tank rather then some cheap fuel with crappy gas mileage ;)
iirc high gas has more octane which makes the gas burn at a slightly lowe bpu i belive. = less power, but with less heat higher boost/ better timming, = more power.,= more gass..

i think the only thing people notice when they put premuim in is they dont floor it as much

i used to only run 87 in my n/'a cars and would not buy any thing else. shoot i even ran 13.7 w/ 12psi @103 at the strip but i lost my hg then and since then, never again in a boosted car,

so what, i save 3-5 bucks per fill up when using low grade, which can be 50 bucks a month in some cases.. but if you quite smoking, you save more cash there and save your life, or stop eatin fast food for breakfast lunch and dinner might help the gas bill too!

what im basicaly saying, is, the price difference is hardly noticble, (besides the gas is 3 bucks a galloon) and when you get used to filling up with it you forget about how much it hurts when you start modding heavily..

saxman47

May 19, 2006
Northern NJ
Maybe putting in 89 instead of 92 doesn't make any difference, but for me, spending an extra few bucks to make sure I don't detonate is worth the peace of mind. I'd hate to have that one knock that does my engine in because of something so stupid.

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Simply put, If you're running stock boost, run the reccomended octane in the manuals. If you're running higher boost, it would be better to run higher octane to prevent detonation. I'm stock I run 89. When I'm modded I'll be running 93, simple as that.

tig321

Mar 13, 2006
Edmonton/Victoria
futeki_supra said:
so after reading alot

I am pretty sure it is the big rip in my accordian hose causing this,
but I still think it might be a boost leak,
b/c I had the accordian pipe off awhile ago, and i saw the rip, put it back on, and never had any problems until now, but maybe the rip has gotten worse.

and like I said before when ever I acelorate I can hear the turbo spool Realy loud (louder than normal) but the car doesnt really go anywhere,
and when I let off I can hear the bpv really loud , I think air is getting out somewhere else. i think it might be a really bad boost leak

Get a new accordian hose and change it if you know its broken. You really should have gotten the cracked hose taken care of already if you knew it was not in good shape. Not taking care of what could be a small problem now could lead to bigger problems down the road. My last supra had a damaged compressor blade (among other things) I also noticed a small peice of the accordian hose was missing, coincidence? I don't think so. Where does the bpv discharge?:icon_wink

Edit: Oops, I forgot what this thread was about sorry to stray off topic.

Last edited:

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
1988SupraDreams said:
#2 In 1989 The manuals started saying 89 was minimum.
p527781_1.jpg

p527781_2.jpg

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
just clarification for those who dont know:

research octane number = RON

octane rating is what is use in the US (R+M/2)

myself, i use 93 as a bare minimum and would prefer to run 110 all the time. but my car is nowhere near stock.

futeki_supra

Nov 18, 2006
lincoln, NE
tig321 said:
Get a new accordian hose and change it if you know its broken. You really should have gotten the cracked hose taken care of already if you knew it was not in good shape. Not taking care of what could be a small problem now could lead to bigger problems down the road. My last supra had a damaged compressor blade (among other things) I also noticed a small peice of the accordian hose was missing, coincidence? I don't think so. Where does the bpv discharge?:icon_wink
thank you for the input,
I put on a new accordian hose today,
and it still didnt fix it,
I went through most of my Ic pipes and didnt find any leaks, the only pipe I didnt check was the elbow in the fender,
I think I am just going to build a boost leak tester