7M hit 18psi with stock AFM and still very rich...

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
i can make my car run leaner with the SAFC II if i want to. im keeping it alittle richer right now to be safe. i'll be getting it tuned on the dyno this sat in Indy. it just boggles my mind as to how the car is still able to run so rich at such high boost levels. and the fact i actualy was able to hit 18psi with out cut was a big suprise as well. so i mean i really dont have a problem, i was just curious as to how it runs so rich...lol

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
If his wideband was malfunctioning, it wouldn't read like that - it would either not read at all, or it would go full rich or full lean, depending on what kind it is. I doubt it is a contributor to the problem.

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
suprafanatic;1016331 said:
i can make my car run leaner with the SAFC II if i want to. im keeping it alittle richer right now to be safe. i'll be getting it tuned on the dyno this sat in Indy. it just boggles my mind as to how the car is still able to run so rich at such high boost levels. and the fact i actualy was able to hit 18psi with out cut was a big suprise as well. so i mean i really dont have a problem, i was just curious as to how it runs so rich...lol

Well I just dont understand how you can run so rich with stock injectors and a 255 with 18psi on a 60-1? Maybe you can im just not seeing how but it is late for me so im not thinking clearly. :biglaugh:

Also i would really like to see what it does on the dyno. Get back to us when you do that.

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
GrimJack;1016337 said:
If his wideband was malfunctioning, it wouldn't read like that - it would either not read at all, or it would go full rich or full lean, depending on what kind it is. I doubt it is a contributor to the problem.

thats what I said I dont think its the wbo2 either.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
turbojuiced;1016338 said:
Well I just dont understand how you can run so rich with stock injectors and a 255 with 18psi on a 60-1? Maybe you can im just not seeing how but it is late for me so im not thinking clearly. :biglaugh:

Also i would really like to see what it does on the dyno. Get back to us when you do that.

You can't, I have a 60-1 and my car is pretty lean at 17PSI (low 13s) on 440s. I have higher than stock fuel pressure too, something he doesn't. Doesn't make any sense unless he has bigger injectors.

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
oh ya, black smoke, and FLAMES!! lol i know the car is rich from how it runs. its not terribly black though. it back fires every now and then if that has anything to do with it. i meet up with jeff and quin in Indy a few weeks ago, at night on the interstate i was beside jeff driving and i got on it alittle bit. Jeff said my car shot out a large flame and held it for like 12-15 seconds.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
suprafanatic;1016646 said:
thats what i'd like to know, especialy with a 60-1. so today i went out and tested it agian... i hit 18psi and the wideband was at 11.5
I cant even run 11psi without hitting fuel cut with my stock AFM.

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
i think at some point you said the afm screw was all the way out. perhaps you should put that back and take the boost controller off and check engine codes.

the boost controller being bad or adjusted weird and the wastegate being broke would easily get you to the 18psi but the fact the afm is not reading the right air flow is whats weird. you should be tripping the afm code

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
if i take the boost controller off it will run stock psi at 6-7. the waste gate works just fine as well as the boost controller. theres no codes at all. and the car is running just fine. my main question is why are my injectors able to flow enough to make my car so rich at 18 psi? can stock injectors flow that well?

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
I looked over your posts and I think I might have some ideas for you.

1. you are missing the screw out of your afm. this is allowing you to take in a decent bit of unmetered air. My brother is running an upgraded turbo to ~ 12psi or so with the screw run out a good bit. Put it back in and I bet FC will be back.

2. Boost leak. Where is your boost guage getting its referance from?

zigspeed10

Apr 7, 2007
ohio
unless I missed it, you are running a walbro fuel pump with a stock fpr. Any way for you to check your fuel pressure? It may be too high causing you to run rich and the screw being out of your afm will raise FC.

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
turbojuiced;1016818 said:
its a beast of a car! :biglaugh: by some strange phenomena maybe your car was blessed by the pope :naughty:
lol, i would agree that it is a blessed car :D....the boost gauge is hooked in the the BOV vac line. its T'd to the vac line that is under the 3000 pipe by the TB

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
im not going to put the AFM screw back in, the car is running better with it out. it would only be richer if i put it back in. i guess my next concern is, if my car is running high boost like this with out fuel cut, and my car is tuned with the SAFC II, then is it safe to do? i wonder how much boost my car would make on the LEX afm !!:D

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
is it rich right through the whole rev range? id personally want to know why its so rich and pull the injectors and get them tested.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Check your cold start injector. it might be stuck open, or incorrectly told to open by a bad temp sensor? That would make it run richer.

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
suprafanatic;1016927 said:
im not going to put the AFM screw back in, the car is running better with it out. it would only be richer if i put it back in. i guess my next concern is, if my car is running high boost like this with out fuel cut, and my car is tuned with the SAFC II, then is it safe to do? i wonder how much boost my car would make on the LEX afm !!:D

well form what youve told us the car seems to be running rich from low afr's to backfire. All indications that it is running rich. But soemthing is definitely wrong somewhere and you have to find out what that is. If it is running too rich you wont make very much hp on the dyno and it you will be more prone to knock due to unburnt fuel.