7M-GE Intake?

Midnight Dorifuta

Back in the Saddle
Jul 16, 2006
Monroe, New Jersey, United States
My $60 (inc. filter) intake. :D
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Nothin' much to see, I have the air filter just aft of the AFM.

Thinking of fabricating some kind of block off plate.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
i just bought a 95 Civic Intake, with my HKS filter, i didnt have to cut anything at all...

it did take a little bit of wrestling, but it all fit as snug as a bug:)

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO

I'm using a modified intake kit for a "96-00 Honda Civic CX/DX/LX Cold Intake System 97 98 R" (this is a much larger kit than the single pipe version) paired up to a 3.5" LS-1 MAF. My air filter is also under the headlight.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Kai said:
Hang on - i thought that removing the resonator is a BAD thing? I was told its there for a reason!

The purpose of the Helmholtz resonator is to alter the resonant frequency in the intake for a quieter sound.

It's pretty much a muffler for intake noise.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I've read a lot about intake resonators, they also tend to do double duty as a buffer for the intake system. This isn't always the case, it depends on the volume of the canister. The way it works is that on more restrictive systems, such as intake plumbing which follows a restrictive metering system , it increases the volume of available air in the system to reduce lag a bit by offering the car a greater pool of air to pull from.

The most amusing part of half of these setups that they're still using accordian tubes which add lot of drag and turbulence to the intake.

MA70Supra88

Boostless
Mar 31, 2005
Boerne, TX
I replaced the resonator on my intake with a piece of pipe and there was no noticeable difference to me in the way the car ran/drove. I only put it on there because I hated how the big resonator box looked.

TakeakiTheDeity

The Deity
Oct 28, 2006
San Jose
www.myspace.com
I just installed the pipe on today.. prob have pictures up tonight cause my dad took the camera.. but something doesnt seem right... it all fits perfectly but the part from the pipe to the MAF/AFM sensor... its the original piece i jus cutted it.. but it seems to be loose and i think some air is comin out of it.. is that ok? or sould i buy some sort of adaptor from the pipe to the AFM/MAF to make it tighter...

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Kai said:
So....if i remove the resonator and replace it with a length of steel/alloy pipe, then i would a) get more induction noise b) have a little more lag

That right?

Yes... althought the amount of lag will vary from one setup to the next. The time this mainly occurs is when revving up from idle and other hard accelerations. The thing is when the reservoir is pulled from the intake also has to refill that space... in the end it's all averaged out, so it really depends on when you want the lag to hit you. Seriously though, the amount of lag we're talking about here is NOTHING compared to the restriction imposed by the AFM.

TakeakiTheDeity said:
I just installed the pipe on today.. prob have pictures up tonight cause my dad took the camera.. but something doesnt seem right... it all fits perfectly but the part from the pipe to the MAF/AFM sensor... its the original piece i jus cutted it.. but it seems to be loose and i think some air is comin out of it.. is that ok? or sould i buy some sort of adaptor from the pipe to the AFM/MAF to make it tighter...

I don't think I follow.... if you have a leak after the the AFM the car will run, but it's not pretty, too much unexpected airflow at what's usually unpredictable intervals.

BTW - MAF and AFM are two VERY different things.

TakeakiTheDeity

The Deity
Oct 28, 2006
San Jose
www.myspace.com
i bought a '92 - '95 Civic intake lyk y'all said... but i didnt hav to cut it or anything.. it was a perfect fit.. and i also put on a strut bar for looks haha...well here are some pics

p479441_1.jpg

p479441_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Kai said:
Aaaha. I could probably live with the lag, but does it do much for performance, ie - BHP/tq increase?

No... with the lag and undampened airflow it probably makes things a tiny bit worse. The amount of difference here is very small, do keep that in mind.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Rofl.... you guys need to hear my car. My muffler got ripped off not long after the blizzard, so I'm running straight 2.5" pipe the whole way. I scare big trucks!!!

TakeakiTheDeity

The Deity
Oct 28, 2006
San Jose
www.myspace.com
CRE said:
Rofl.... you guys need to hear my car. My muffler got ripped off not long after the blizzard, so I'm running straight 2.5" pipe the whole way. I scare big trucks!!!

haha that aint nothin.. i remember back wen i was in Houston, Texas... there was no exhaust law or how loud it had to be... my friends over there all run on straight headers, no downpipe or catback or any of that.. haha loud lyk a mofo.. but its all good..