700R4, Doesnt anyone like overdrive?

Syris

Need Rust Repair
Aug 24, 2005
Bryan, OH /Lima, OH
If your doing the work to change over, your going for the Best performer not to save gas....Dont get me wrong r4 is a good tranny but the turbo 400 is mucho better

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
i agree, but it seems as though its either, stock tranny that seems to be questionable at 11's or a th400 that can go 8's.

grand nationals go easily into the 10's on there 200r4. how much diffrent is the 200 then the 700?

full manual valve body and high horsepower capabilities with the benifit of an optional transbrake seems well worth the expense especially if you could retain the gearing of overdrive.

i think if a kit was made for the 700r4 it would sell very good because it offers all the benifits of a transbrake, off the shelf converters, aftermarket support, better power handeling, manual valve body, all while maintaining streetability for those of us that are building a 400+ horsepower car and dont want to have to spend thousands of dollars to have a tranny that still remains (from what ive seen) "hit or miss"

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
The 700r is a costly tranny to build. First gear is very weak in them. If you want overdrive theres a gear vendors over/under drive system. It gives you the same 4th gear ratio as the 700r but you have the ability to split geras so you have a 6speed auto that wil keep you in your power range longer.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The 700R4 is one of the biggest pieces of shit ever made, that is why.

It is as bad as the Ford AXOD found in the Taurus and Mercury FWD cars.

The 700R4 went through so many updates it was renamed the 4L60, even though it was the same trans. Bad idea to swap to it. The A340E is a much better unit in almost every way.

In fact, the 700R4 is the reason people leave their transmission in 3rd, because O/D fails so much.

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
The only problem with the 4l80e is you need a computer to run it. Also, I think you would have to modify the tunnel in our cars because it is a very wide tranny.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
tissimo said:
the a340e i hear is pretty strong? i mean 9s out of it isn't too bad..

from IPT its $27XX and it says anything faster then 9.99 should be swaped to th400. for 3 grand i would have already swaped to a th400 rather then waste it on a stocker. Also that doesnt include a converter and a custom converter can go for anything from 500 to 1500. making a total of 3200-4200$ just on a built stocker.

And while its rated at up to a 9.99, ive read alot of people that have blown those trannies and that they are hit or miss. some people have good experiances and some people just blow them after a few runs.

The 700r is a costly tranny to build. First gear is very weak in them. If you want overdrive theres a gear vendors over/under drive system. It gives you the same 4th gear ratio as the 700r but you have the ability to split geras so you have a 6speed auto that wil keep you in your power range longer.
Those same gear drives go for about 1-2k$ at that rate it would be more cost effective to buy a tranny from SP.

the 700/200r4 cant be too weak if camaros and grand nationals use them to go into the tens without a problem.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
89turbosupra said:
It is weak in stock form. If you go to bowtieoverdrives.com they sell them to any output you want.

i was looking for a site with them for sale with ratings and it seems that for $1395.00, you can buy a complete tranny rated to handle 630hp/Tq.

http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/catalog/catalog_inc/viewitem.php?ITEMID=9

This would be the perfect transmission for the average person building a fast street car.

is there really noone that is FOR this cause?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The 200 and 700 are not the same. Why don't you go buy an IROC if you want the 700R4 so bad.

If you really want to run 9's, why use a heavy car with a small engine in the first place?

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
I realize there not the same, hence the reason i said this

grand nationals go easily into the 10's on there 200r4. how much diffrent is the 200 then the 700?

Maybe all of the sub 9 second guys should go buy old chevy trucks so there Th400 is in the right place. :3d_frown: Also, i never said anywhere i want to run 9's, never the less "so bad". hence the reason th400 is out and why i said "STREETCAR".

Your telling me manual valve body, transbrake, and more power capability while still retaining overdrive for the same cost as a built stocker isnt worth looking into?

I guess there just really isnt any backing for this kind of project.

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
The thing is if your building a high hp car you dont need a low first gear. Thats why drag racers use the powerglide plus it uses a lot less horsepower. You dont really need an overdrive. If its a high hp car its just one of the trade offs you learn to put up with.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
has any one done any studing on the new toyota truck tranny?

it's called the a750 and looks like a beast, it's a 6 speed auto i would say bought the size of a 400 in looks. but the guts are insane. fun to rebuild atleast..

best of all is the bell's unbolt, and if toyota keeps tradition, the a340e bell will probaly fit, i haven't tried yet though..

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Why would there be backing for a bad project? It is an inferior transmission. They are pieces of shit. For the record, a built 200 is pretty stout. Just like a built A340e, but you can still break it.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Nick: your posts are becoming more irrelevant and pointless every time. they are just statements backed up by nothing. Also filled with recommendations that have nothing to do with anything i have said. i guess since i want a reliable strong 4 speed automatic tranny, i also must want an Iroc, or to put a Ls1 in my car. good logic. everytime i ask you to explain you just come back with something else to say.

would you care to maybe elaborate on WHY the 700r4 is a pile of shit, and how the A340 is better? with maybe some factual data other then "because i said so" logic?

i wasnt talking about swapping in a stock transmission, im not sure if your aware of that.

Pimp: maybe that would also be the solution, i just dont see a 6 speed bieng able to fit while still maintaining the strenth of a 4 speed. just a matter of 10lbs of shit in a 5lb bag. but i guess if they put it behind the new 5.3(or whatever it is) it has to be pretty strong. id love to see someone do that swap though. 6 speed automatic would be really nice.

how much modification would need to be done to the tranny tunnel to fit a 4l80? hammer modifications? or surgery?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Maybe you need to reread my first post. Then try google. I am not going to spoon feed certain inquiries anymore. I stopped doing that some time ago.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
The 700r4, post '87-88, is a good, solid transmission.

The 200r4 is WEAKER than the 700r4, stock vs stock.

The 200r4 is a BOP (buick/olds/pontiac) bellhousing boltpattern, vs the standard Chevy Boltpattern on the 700r4/TH350/TH400.