6m Crank in a 7mgte

Status
Not open for further replies.

hatchet9mm

Aug 1, 2008
USA
Hey guys back again with another question I can't seem to figure out.

I am acquiring a 7mgte complete rebuild, but the guy selling it to me has put a 6m crankshaft in it. He said that since the 6 and 7M had the same displacement and the 6m crank is lighter, with 6m crank it will move the 7mgte redline from 72k to 75k.

I was just wondering if any of you guys have heard of this, if there are any mechanical/ balance issues with this, and if it is safe (now and later after I have bumped the boost and fuel)?

I do have a resurfaced 7mgte crank that I can put in it, if the consensus is it isn't sound with the 6mcrank in it.

Thanks preemptively

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
redline from 72,000, to 75,000?
Don't think I wanna spin any motor that fast. Actually, the early 7m's ALL came with the 6M crank. The later motors came with the 7M. The consensus is that the 6M gives you a slightly higher redline as it is lighter, but the 7M crank is fully-counterbalanced, so it revs smoother. Regardless, there's nothing wrong with the 6M crank, so no worries.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
All 7M engines had a 6M crank until the '90 model iirc. The 6M crank is lighter allowing the higher red line on the earlier cars. The 7M crank is fully counter weighted and is a smoother running crank.
I'm using the 7M and had about 5 lbs removed during a knife edge job...the best of both IMO.

You can use either crank.

hatchet9mm

Aug 1, 2008
USA
Thanks you guys, but what do you mean by smoother. Revs aren't going to be erratic or anything right?

Status
Not open for further replies.