6 speed 7mgte anyone?

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
this looks to be a viable option.

http://www.abbott-tach.com/cablex.htm

the box is $299 plus shipping. she said she needs a stock speedo cable to adapt it to her cable that comes out of the unit so it will fit the stock cluster. says it can be recalibrated later anytime you change tire size or rear end gears, etc.. its cheaper and is easier to recalibrate etc..

edit: heres one i found for $150

http://www.dragonaero.com/SpeedChangerMechanicalPage.htm

wonder which is better? its a smaller box too. i called them and from, what he says itll work fine. no latency and seems to be in demand, currently he is on backorder. i think ill give this one a try when its available.

Last edited:

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
i know, he said he will call me when he has more. if i let you know could you? ill ask him for permission first and tell him your just wannting to check the quality etc.. of the unit since there are multiple people in the community interested in this. so far looks like ive got all the leg work covered except the driveshaft length diff and ill have tat tomarow when i have time to meaure lol.

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
What is the rating on these tranny's as far as torque they will hold? I have considered everything from a top loader Ford tranny to a RTLO-18713 Roadranger.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
the lt1 trans is rated t 450tq, but obviously holds more. the viper t56 is rated to 550tq. it has a steel 3-4 shift fork and larger diameter output shaft. anyone know the real tq rating of the r154? for me it was this or a th400, the th400 has no overdrive and i prefere manual, so t56 it is.

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
I have no idea what the stock R154 is rated for. My guess would be somewhere in the 300 to 400 ft/lb range knowing that Toyota has a tendency to overbuild stuff. I actually looked into a Lenco and a Jericho a local drag racer had. Nice stuff but alittle pricey. I agree wholeheartedly on the staying with a manual gearbox though.
Sean

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
sorry for no new comparison pics today. woke up and felt like total and utter shit. got the pilot bearing for the r154 and t56 and the 1.25in drill bit i need and some other misc stuff so i can start on the adaptor plate. next i need to call around and find out who has the best price on the 6061 t6 aluminum plate. ill try to get the comparison pics tomarow next to a r154 and w58.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
i grabbed my r154 slave today and well, i think i an make it work fairly easy. the bolt holes dont line up bu tthe reach is right, so im gonna weld a small peice of angle iron to it after cutting it the right shape and drilling holes so itll hold the slave perfect and sturdy, then gonna weld it to the slave. the slave i have is steel. not sure if they made any out of aluminum. ill tak pics when its done. should work pretty well.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
williamb82 said:
i grabbed my r154 slave today and well, i think i an make it work fairly easy. the bolt holes dont line up bu tthe reach is right, so im gonna weld a small peice of angle iron to it after cutting it the right shape and drilling holes so itll hold the slave perfect and sturdy, then gonna weld it to the slave. the slave i have is steel. not sure if they made any out of aluminum. ill tak pics when its done. should work pretty well.

why not use the T56 slave?

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
its a plastic pos and has no bleeder screw. ill try to get some pics of it to show you. it also has a fitting thats held in place wit ha pin. no threads. wierd.

anyhow, from front to back is t56, r154, w58, and my other t56(and off to the right is my only remaining good r154.)

sm_photo_missing.jpg

also updated the pics in the folder. link on the first post. as you can see the shifter is about 2in further back then the r154. also, the driveshaft would need to be about 2.5in shorter then for the r154.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
williamb82 said:
as you can see the shifter is about 2in further back then the r154. also, the driveshaft would need to be about 2.5in shorter then for the r154.

looks like its time for a custom 1 piece :)

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
yeah, updates are slow. anyhow, found a rps max pp for a good price. its got ~1500 miles on it. so that will go with my custom 4 puck sprung disc. should hold 600+rwhp. hehehe. i dont have to hold the clutch in at startup so wont have the thrust bearing issue some mkiii owners have with that pp.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
my rps dual diaphram pressure plate came in. its the 3200lb unit. should hold over 600rwhp no probs wit hthe 4 puck sprung hub disc. pics in the origonal folder in the first post.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
So maybe I missed it in the previous page, but couple questions -

Are you using the adapter plate to bolt the T56 to the R154 bellhousing, or to bolt the entire T56 to the 7M block?

What are you planning on doing once the tranny is in, for the interior console? Seems that you'll almost be where the TEMS controller is, when you pull the stick back...

Awesome work though, I'm going this route myself later, if I can score a good deal on a T56 :)

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
well, this is going in my 1984 celicasupra( i dont have any mkiii's. have had 4, dont like them). so no tems switch to conted with,. im gonna extend the entire center consol back to keep the stock shift boot over the shifter. part of the tunnel will need cut. and im using a plate to bolt the t56 bellhousing to the 7m block. i posted a pic of the adaptor in this thread. first post i beleive. btw, im selling my extra t56. dont have the bh though. i do have the master and slave cylinders and the stock pp and clutch disc.