6 speed 7mgte anyone?

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
im going t56. this is the t56(40k miles) next to one of my broken r154's.

p505826_1.jpg

more pics here

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/williamb82/t56/

t56
1st 2.66
2nd 1.78
3rd 1.3
4th 1.00
5th 0.74
6th 0.5

r154
1st 3.251
2nd 1.955
3rd 1.310
4th 1.00
5th 0.75

http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/gear_calculator.html

good site to calculate speed in every gear. im using a 3.727 diff and 26in tall tires. stock redline is 6500rpm. should be ~1900rpm at 80mph in 6th. very good gas mileage on the interstate i bet. hehehe.

anyhow, im buying another t56 tommarow(80k miles) that has the little stuff i need like the bh, throwout bearing, master and slave cyl, output yoke, hurst shifter, etc... now need to order the adaptor plate and get stuff made like the clutch disc, driveshaft, make the trans mount and cut the tunnel for it to fit. then weld in new metal where its needed. ill be sure to take detailed pics, this is goin in my 84 mkii btw. hehehe. rebuilt 7mgte should be done soon too.

edit: heres the parts list and ill edit it as i find out more

lt1 t56 with bellhousing and clutch fork, output yoke, and shifter(or a short shifter if you prefere)
r154 flywheel and pressure plate.
pilot bearing from a 89-00 civic
custom clutch disc.
adaptor plate (for example ati's plate part number 915180)
custom driveshaft(will post how much shorter then the r154 shaft later)
make a custom trans mount
and then the tunnel massaging. lol.
also, since the t56 only has a digital speedo signal. you need a mechanical so will need a convertor such as this.

http://www.dragonaero.com/SpeedChangerMechanicalPage.htm

pic of the adaptor plate. a rough cut.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

william

Last edited:

Syris

Need Rust Repair
Aug 24, 2005
Bryan, OH /Lima, OH
How cheap are you getting the t56 to want to go to it? I know a 6spd would be great to romp on but by those gearings your gaining gas mileage and a higher top end ability. IMO id rather the lesser gas mileage to have more torque in the car coming out of 1st

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
Syris said:
How cheap are you getting the t56 to want to go to it? I know a 6spd would be great to romp on but by those gearings your gaining gas mileage and a higher top end ability. IMO id rather the lesser gas mileage to have more torque in the car coming out of 1st

That's kinda what I was thinking. I would get a new diff.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
You already have your trans, but anybody else that wants to try, you can get different gearing.

That is the Viper ratio's. The 4.6 Mustang units have 2.97 first, which is much more favorable for take off.

I think it is a good idea if you can make it work. They are heavy units, you have some fabricating to do.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
no, it doesnt fit the tunnel, thats why i said cut, and weld new sheet metal, and no, i dont think i need a new diff. my buddies firebird has a 3.73 and it takes off fine. im thinking itll load the turbo better. my car had a 4.30 stock, i hated it. nothin but wheelspin in lower gears. IF this gear is too low ill buy a forged 4.10:1 gearset for my truetrac diff. also, yes, it is only 2in further back then the r154. i already took the measurements from another lt1 t56 that has the bh. ill post more pics this week. picking the 2nd one up tonight. it has the bh, shifter etc... also, i got a good deal i think on the trans, its only got 40k miles on it. 2nd one has 80k on it. but ill likely be reselling hat one after i grab the other misc stuff i need off it. they go for $1200+ on ebay without any of the accessories like bh, shifter, output yoke, etc...

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
well, the 93 trans has the electric speedo sender too(i read it was mechanical). also, just measured, its like 16.5in diameter in the bh area, should fit just fine. the shifter is 29in back from the front of the bh and the adaptor plate is 1/2in thick so that puts the hurst short shifter 29.5in back. now, heres something new, the clutch is a pull style like the r154. not sure why everything online says its a push style. i tried the r154 fork next to the t56 fork, they are the same width fork. so the t56 fork will grab the r154 throwout bearing no problems. added new pics to the folder in the first post. the pressureplate shown is a stock t56 unit and the fork on the pp is the r154 fork. i now have all the parts i need from the camaro. now i need to ger the clutch disc made, driveshaft made, make a trans mount and tunnel mods and buy the adaptor plate. i think adapting the slave cylinder to the stock clutch setp will be rather simple. only thing i dont like is it doesnt have a bleeder screw. wierd. might see if i can use my r154 slave. its a similare bolt pattern. may work. ill keep everyone updated of coarse.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
pictures fixed. yahoo sets them to private automaticlly for some reason. i fixed them. the new pics are now public.

Last edited:

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
just got off the phone with ati. they said the part number for the plate alone is 915180 and the price is $478.80. thats for just the plate, not mounting hardware or anything else.

Last edited:

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
if i can get it made cheaper ill deff get a buy going. and if i cant, ill see what ati can do. i may even try to make it myself. i have the ability to get it all lined up correctly and whatnot. itll take awhile since i dont have a full machine shop but if i do my own that would be it, i wouldnt make any more for anyone else. we will see. im obviously goin all the way through with this either way. lol.