5m crank in a 7m, or just go 5m?

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Um - sorry if i sound a little dim here - but what about the 6M head? I know the 6M was JDM/EUDM only - but is it identical to the 5M head, or does it flow totally differently?

Just throwing out an idea that may (or may not) have some merit...

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
Kai said:
Um - sorry if i sound a little dim here - but what about the 6M head? I know the 6M was JDM/EUDM only - but is it identical to the 5M head, or does it flow totally differently?

Identical to the 5M head. The intake manifold was different -- it had no provisions for EGR. And the ECU was slightly different. At any rate, it made ~190hp in full jdm trim (less than the 7mge w/ CA emissions stuff).

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Aaah. Well i know that all pre-facelift Supes in Europe that are N/A have NO EGR provision at all.

However, staying on the topic of my previous stupid question, Would using a 6M intake (or even 7M) on a 5M provide any kind of benefit?

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Kai said:
Aaah. Well i know that all pre-facelift Supes in Europe that are N/A have NO EGR provision at all.

However, staying on the topic of my previous stupid question, Would using a 6M intake (or even 7M) on a 5M provide any kind of benefit?

The 6M intake would only make "gains" on an early model 5M, as they had different shaped ports, the later 5M and 6M intake ports are D shaped.

Other than the lack of EGR and the "3000" on top, the late model 5M and the 6M intakes are nearly identical

Cya

Aug 12, 2005
Columbia, S.C>
suprarich said:
HKS did this back in the 80's with their 7m mk3 dragcar and I did this very project like 4 years ago!:naughty:

That car made over 800 hp w/ the 7m head!!! I thought of doing this myself by cryo treating the stock 5m rods and 7m n/a pistons.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
bigaaron said:
I was only assuming the rods would be custom (or a from a different application) because I don't think anyone makes aftermarket 5m rods.
I would like to get upgraded rods just because of the fact that I don't know how much I will eventually push this engine and the stock rods are really the only weak link in the 7m I have now. I am going to take 5m and 7m cranks, pistons and rods to our machine shop and take precise measurements of everything. Then they have application books and it is just a matter of looking at rods that have the right specs. As mentioned earlier, there are v8 rods that sell for ~$250 for a set of 8! I can't see spending $700-900 for the same damn thing just because it was intended for an import engine.

carrilo makes 5m rods. i sold a set on ebay some time ago.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
williamb82 said:
carrilo makes 5m rods. i sold a set on ebay some time ago.

I called them, they are only made special order, and retail would be probably close to $2000 for a set! Like I mentioned before there are V8 rods selling around $250-$500 a set so I would not want to spend $1500+ for I6 rods.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
pauter is $1200 or so. rods i had 2 needed reconditiond. think i got $200 for the set. guy might still have them. i can check. to have the 2 repaired was like $100 each. and i had no use for the 5m rods. my 6m is gonna use the 7m eagle rods etc... lmk if you want me to find the guys info. they had carr rod cap bolts and everything.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
williamb82 said:
pauter is $1200 or so. rods i had 2 needed reconditiond. think i got $200 for the set. guy might still have them. i can check. to have the 2 repaired was like $100 each. and i had no use for the 5m rods. my 6m is gonna use the 7m eagle rods etc... lmk if you want me to find the guys info. they had carr rod cap bolts and everything.
Sure, let me know! They will be put to good use! So just to be sure these will be the same dimensions as 5m rods, yes?

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
thats what they came out of was a 5mgte with some busted pistons. never seen ross forged slugs get busted that way. guy must have seriously detonated that engine. the 2 rods that need reconditioned had spun bearings.