$3000 to spend...

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Rotors, brake pads, ss brake lines, ss clutch hose, silicone vacuum hoses, samco radiator hoses, Toyota full gasket kit, ARP studs, MHG of your choice, Stant t-stat, AL radiator, rebuild the fan clutch, re-ring job, block and head prep for MHG, resized rod and main bearings, ARP rod bolts, ARP main studs, all new synthetic fluids throughout....

That should be right on the border of $3000.00

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Cometic MHG- $160
PepBoyz Spectre Custom CAI- $60
Megan Racing track coilovers- $900
Crower cams 264 or 272- $316.88
ARP headstuds- $119
Ferrea valvetrain- $799
Power Enterprise rod bearings- $23.70
Power Enterprise main bearings- $30.50
550 Injectors- $460

There's 3K for ya! Then shim your wastegate if you're not into upgrading the turbo yet and take advantage of those injectors!

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
Grimsta said:
Cometic MHG- $160
PepBoyz Spectre Custom CAI- $60
Megan Racing track coilovers- $900
Crower cams 264 or 272- $316.88
ARP headstuds- $119
Ferrea valvetrain- $799
Power Enterprise rod bearings- $23.70
Power Enterprise main bearings- $30.50
550 Injectors- $460

There's 3K for ya! Then shim your wastegate if you're not into upgrading the turbo yet and take advantage of those injectors!

wow.....that is the most clusterfuck of a list if ive ever seen one.... you have things on there that cant even be used and things on there that cost more money for other parts to even install them. not to mention a ferrera valvetrain for 800 bucks...uh huh missing some very key components apparently

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Idealsupra said:
wow.....that is the most clusterfuck of a list if ive ever seen one

Quoted for hilarity and truth.

EDIT: And I'm with Starscream...he has his shit together. Doing it his way should ensure that it will be fun for many summers to come...not half of one. lol

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
maybe if you can squeeze a used lex afm, bic ddp and some 550's into your budget ontop of what starscream suggested you'd have a pretty nice fun setup.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
57ct26,
550 injectors,
full 3 inch exhaust, or 3 inch down pipe with electronic cut out before cat.
mhg, tear down inspect bottom end, and send block and head to machine shop to get prepped for mhg, replace rod and main bearings,

if you still have a little bit to spend, kyb's and lowering springs.

tubbie

Yes, powerful Jedi....
Apr 4, 2005
Hoschton, GA
1jz front clip - $2500+
Ebay super t70 turbo kit - $400+
lots of beer = $100+
your free time
= $3000 and 400whp

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
i vote finish your car :) the jt series of turbos are pretty good and reliable! way better than the old sp turbos

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
p706596_1.jpg

HKS..........................FTW!

Just go through the "same stages" (equivalent) of a "balanced and progressive" upgrade illustrated by HKS' stages... AND consider the "other" performance KEYS such as brakes and suspension... you will be rewarded.

NOTE: This is assuming the car is being "maintained/repaired" to GOOD condition as a platform.

-crisp

josh930

Jan 14, 2006
NY
parachute on the back of your car..... no one will mess with you

Last edited:

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Idealsupra said:
wow.....that is the most clusterfuck of a list if ive ever seen one.... you have things on there that cant even be used and things on there that cost more money for other parts to even install them. not to mention a ferrera valvetrain for 800 bucks...uh huh missing some very key components apparently

Clusterfuck? How do you figure. If you're going to build a high horsepower Supra, you're gonna NEED a headgasket right? So while you have the head off the install the Cometic, you install the ARP products. The Ferrea price is for dual springs & retainers, your right, not the valves. If he's looking for a build and wants to keep it cheap, you're gonna sacrifice some things. Either spend the other $518 or keep it to the springs, its still a good thing to do. So then you install the springs, the cams. Then you can never go wrong with coils. What good is power if your gonna be swaying all over the road? Megan has kick @$$ coils and they're dirt cheap too! Then the bearings, eh, if it was my car i'd put rods and pistons in it, but if he's lookin for 500, the bottom end can handle that. Better bearings as an insurance policy. Finally the injectors, if he's gonna shim the wastegate and pump more boost, why not up the injectors. Sure its still on the stock AFM but there are so many ways of picking of a Lexus AFM for little to nothing i didn't even list it. So now you see how they all come together to work? If you're gonna rip on me because there's added "labor" why not rip on Starscream? All the head and block prepping, re-ringing and resizing for the rod and main bearings would put it over $3K. Now i totally agree with Starscream, i was just staying within the boundaries

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
Grimsta said:
Clusterfuck? How do you figure. If you're going to build a high horsepower Supra, you're gonna NEED a headgasket right? So while you have the head off the install the Cometic, you install the ARP products. The Ferrea price is for dual springs & retainers, your right, not the valves. If he's looking for a build and wants to keep it cheap, you're gonna sacrifice some things. Either spend the other $518 or keep it to the springs, its still a good thing to do. So then you install the springs, the cams. Then you can never go wrong with coils. What good is power if your gonna be swaying all over the road? Megan has kick @$$ coils and they're dirt cheap too! Then the bearings, eh, if it was my car i'd put rods and pistons in it, but if he's lookin for 500, the bottom end can handle that. Better bearings as an insurance policy. Finally the injectors, if he's gonna shim the wastegate and pump more boost, why not up the injectors. Sure its still on the stock AFM but there are so many ways of picking of a Lexus AFM for little to nothing i didn't even list it. So now you see how they all come together to work? If you're gonna rip on me because there's added "labor" why not rip on Starscream? All the head and block prepping, re-ringing and resizing for the rod and main bearings would put it over $3K. Now i totally agree with Starscream, i was just staying within the boundaries

your components never really matched though. why get cams springs and retainers when you're on the stock turbo, and you have no timing control. doesn't make sense. plus stuff like hoses, plugs, wires, and timing belts adds up quick. anyone can make up a list that costs $3000, but your order of parts isn't the smartest.

88YotaTurbo

Feb 26, 2006
Wolcott, Ct.
Fill your fuel tank-------------------------- 50 dollars
nice dinner out with the ladies------------- 450 dollars
filling your cars with beautiful hookers------ 1500 dollars
Waking up with bumps on your junk -------- Priceless

Best way to spend 2000 dollars then invest a grand into your car ;)

Skam9685

1992 Honda Prelude SI
Jun 22, 2007
Oldsmar, Florida, United States
starscream5000 said:
Rotors, brake pads, ss brake lines, ss clutch hose, silicone vacuum hoses, samco radiator hoses, Toyota full gasket kit, ARP studs, MHG of your choice, Stant t-stat, AL radiator, rebuild the fan clutch, re-ring job, block and head prep for MHG, resized rod and main bearings, ARP rod bolts, ARP main studs, all new synthetic fluids throughout....

That should be right on the border of $3000.00

I have not been in the game that long but I totally agree with Starscream on this. Spend the money on preparing your car to handle the mods and power. If you do it the reverse you won't have a car in the end because your car couldn't handle the mods.

This is exactly what I am doing now because I don't want to spend the thousands and thousands of hard earned dollars on a car that's not going to be able to handle what I want to do with it AND not last a long time. I actually plan on keeping this car for a good long time. ;)

So spend the money wisely.