300 rwhp?? :o

code14

Apr 22, 2006
USA
so, ah...

i think i'm on the verge of having the stinkin car run right. >:eek:

anyway, i was just wondering what the simplest/safest/sanest way to make ~300rwhp is(with the stock turbo)... :D

seems the 550cc/lexus afm thing is the way to go??

thanks guys!

ps - are there some things i can do to make sure the car IS running right? i'm not very car savvy.... all i've done are the compression test, leak down test, spark test, and it seems i'm not leaking anything... and i don't think i'm burning anything... MAN! cars are confoozing :D

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Hmm, fuel system upgrades would also help I believe... Like a new fuel pump and adjustable fuel pressure regulator... bigger intercooler and ic piping will also help keep the stock turbo cooler at higher boost... but then again I don't know a lot about turbos so I'll let somebody else field this one.

C

cnewingham

you dont need 550's and the lex to get 300rwhp. You need to do as fotosoup said. I made 307.2 with a walbro fp, areomotive afpr, spearco ic w/hardpipes, safcII, bic ddp, greddy sp catback. on 13psi. What are your mods as of now and I will tell you where to start

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
definitely need to have supporting mods across the board, no one upgrade is going to give you reliable power; youll need to upgrade everything around the same rate. dont forget stoppers!

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Before you decide to up the boost I would consider buying some insurance for the car by getting a MHG (nothing too expensive if you don't plan on making more than 300 whp, once most people get there though, they want more ;) ) and making sure the head and block have the proper RA (roughness average) and top it off with ARP head studs torched to 75-80 ft lbs. Once that is done THEN you can start making that extra power.
This is all asuming that the car has a stock type headgasket that is either old or not tightend down enough (most aren't).

C

cnewingham

we could all go on and on about how you need to upgrade the brakes, the suspension and so on however 300rwhp is not a huge amount and the brakes are sufficient and the suspension will suffice if he is just street driving. You can run that amount of hp on the stock hg safely as long as it in good cond. but you will find that out as you go along and replacing the hg is a one day job and about $300.

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
i have to say. I dont think the stock brakes are sufficent even for the regular car. They really lake the proper stopping power for such a heavy car even with better pads and cross drilled or sloted rotors and SS brake lines all that helps. I would at least do that much but i would not leave them stock. to get some rotors, pads, lines and change the fluid is not that expensive and is well worth the investment. it is your Life and other peoples lives you are trying to protect.

the stock suspension is fine as long as it is not worn out like needing new shocks. Honestly some better handling never hurts. Like sway bars even on the stock springs can be good.

C

cnewingham

I agree with you bob as I have all that and more done to my car however he is asking about how to get 300 hp and that is what I am sticking with. All the other stuff I consider to be regular maintence but again we could go on forever how you need this part to acompany this other part and so on to the point of never ending. Again 300 rwhp is not much and very easy to achieve.

89Turbo

Oct 22, 2005
Portland
Intake
Turbo back exhaust
manual boost controller or electronic
SAFCII tuned nicely
not necessary but always helps- new intercooler and piping.
proper running engine

^^^seriously that should do it if your a 5spd.

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
my suspension is shot so I am getting that next time i have money, and then maybe better brakes cuz the stock suspension is a bit loose even when its working right and has tems it still softish, and the brakes are not big enough or powerful enough for the mk3, would love to have mk4 brakes those things are pretty good for stock setup anyways.

code14

Apr 22, 2006
USA
awesome! i guess i'll go check all that stuff out haha.

all i have on the car as of now is a K&N intake. i was thinkin of getting the uh... LIPP turbo elbow 'n dp and some 3" catback doohicky for now haha.

i think the HG is okay.... the engine was rebuilt not too long ago, but with the oem HG, not a metal one. maybe that's something i should look into...? :D

anyway, thanks a bunch guys! you guys are nuts !! :p

doom26464

Research...research
Mar 31, 2005
Saskatoon SK, Canada
www.cardomain.com
I'm aimning for 300RWHP on the stock turbo, and hopefully not upgrading the fuel system or going to a standalone/lexus afm. I have intake full 3 inch exhaust and mbc. Im planing on getting a ddp then dynoing then we will c what im at.

stratoayu

May 13, 2005
surrey
yea ive been at 300rwhp for a year and a half now.. DD, goneto the track, i boost anytime want sorta thing. which is alot. mods. Intake, hardpipes, 3" completle exhaust at 11 psi. everything else is stock. 300 rwhp is very easily done.

boost fiend

Banned
Jul 24, 2005
Rockford, Il
yeah, 300 hp is easy/expensive, but look at ll the wear and tear on it when you boost all the time. im guilty of it and wont admit it. 13 psi dd, 3" no cat no resinator exaust, ported turbo elbow, yadda yadda. i can go on all night. its wear and tear. fun as it may be, but wear and tear none the less.

do it right the first time or pay 10 fold.

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
boost fiend said:
yeah, 300 hp is easy/expensive, but look at ll the wear and tear on it when you boost all the time. im guilty of it and wont admit it. 13 psi dd, 3" no cat no resinator exaust, ported turbo elbow, yadda yadda. i can go on all night. its wear and tear. fun as it may be, but wear and tear none the less.

do it right the first time or pay 10 fold.
Do I have 300 rwhp?
Engine Mods:
Full engine rebuild, bored out .20
Cometic MHG
ARP studs
JE pistons
Refurbished Rods
3 angle valve job
BIC Divorced Downpipe
Titan Test pipe
3" Custom exhaust
K&N FIPK Intake
Turbo XS Boost Controller at 11 psi

Would i benefit with a SAFC-II?

stratoayu

May 13, 2005
surrey
TurboFreak88 said:
Do I have 300 rwhp?
Engine Mods:
Full engine rebuild, bored out .20
Cometic MHG
ARP studs
JE pistons
Refurbished Rods
3 angle valve job
BIC Divorced Downpipe
Titan Test pipe
3" Custom exhaust
K&N FIPK Intake
Turbo XS Boost Controller at 11 psi

Would i benefit with a SAFC-II?

Dyno it and find out.. every car is different. but yes you would benefit from a SAFC-II since the stock ecu runs RICH under WOT

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
a ddp makes a big difference. from what i understand, it usually causes boost creep after the install (wouldn't before, now would it?), so make sure you're set up to control the extra pressure.

code14

Apr 22, 2006
USA
hrm.... this may sort of be OT, but what's the benefits of a DDP over a regular DP? and can i just bolt one on my car?

haha

any suggestions for a good exhaust system?