1jz blown head gasket?!?

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
I think its a bhg at least. I know its rare on a 1jz but I can't think of anything else it could be. hopefully one of you can. so here are my symptoms:

* popping/sputtering/misfiring as the engine revs down
* misfiring occasionally while at idle
* popping/sputtering/misfiring when the car is in gear, with throttle closed and at low rpms
* white smoke coming out exhaust pipe
* engine overheats
* some of my coolant has gone missing:sarcasm:

so ya I can't think of anything else it could be but maybe its something simpler. thats why I'm asking you guys. I'm planning on pulling off the head tomorrow, but I want to be as sure as I can that its a bhg before I go to all that trouble. so what do you guys think. I took a video. its here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny7nnvDIIQc Its a windy day so you cant tell but a tiny bit of smoke does come out when the car is at idle. also water droplets form on the inside of my exhaust tip and it doesn't really smoke till the engine is warmed up. I think thats it. so ya if you think of anything else it could be please post something. or if you think it is a bhg say that too. thanks guys in advance.

turboguy327

Sep 11, 2009
Rochester ny
Do a compression check. That would be the easiest thing to do and you would know for sure without guessing. If a cylinder doesnt check out do a leakdown test and you will know where the compression leak is..

Cya

Aug 12, 2005
Columbia, S.C>
Yeah dude, you can rent one(compression tester) from oreilly's. If the compression is low in a cylinder pour a cap full of oil in it and re-test. If nothing changes then its a gasket, if it does it might be rings.

Please correct me if im wrong.

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
All of those symptoms could be attributed to different things. I would check a few easier things before pulling the head.

For one, hows your ECU? Has it been recapped? If it's running lean you could end up running hot, misfires, popping on decel, etc.

The white smoke could be due to lean condition or blown turbo seals.

A leak in the cooling system causing it to fail to properly pressurize could result in overheating and loss of coolant. A bad t-stat could cause the overheating, so could crummy fans, etc.

Also, does the exhaust smell sweet? That's usually a dead giveaway there's coolant in it.

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
You gotta hammer on a 1jz pretty hard to blow the HG, the only way it can happen is if you had some detonation from some bad gas, or if your crank/ cam sensors was out of whack.

Do a leak down test with the rad cap pulled off, if there is any cylinder with the HG "blown" it will bubble out the rad when testing.

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
Ok I guess maybe I was a bit hasty in my assumptions. so I haven't taken the head off(yet). however I did compression check it and its all good. but I've been told that a compression check can't always find a bhg. is that true? but also I took of the coil wire on each cylinder one at a time and checked to see if the smoke changed and it did not. So I don't think it is isolated to any 1 cylinder. I also checked and I'm pretty sure its not a leak in one of the turbos. I am going to recap the ecu this week, but I've looked at the capacitors and they are not leaking or bulging so I doubt that's the problem. any thoughts fellas?

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
yes they are but I cut off the supply of coolant to each of them, one at a time, to see if this would make a difference and it didn't. so I don't think its the turbos

Gritz

Aug 1, 2008
nc
kelson;1428574 said:
yes they are but I cut off the supply of coolant to each of them, one at a time, to see if this would make a difference and it didn't. so I don't think its the turbos

How long did you let it run this way?

r45marsh

Old MotorHead
Sep 22, 2007
Huntsville,Alabama
An easy way to find out if its antifreeze coming out the tailpipe is to taste it. Hold your hand in front of the exhaust, not close enough to get burned. Let some of the vapor condense on your hand. Taste it. DON'T DRINK IT just taste it. Antifreeze is very sweet. Oil isn't.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
nightrider760;1428765 said:
get a 7mgte jajajaja

I'm going to let this one slide, but this isn't a 7mgte vs. 1jzgte thread. This guy is looking for help and not comedic relief. Thanks., Jay

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
pressure test the cooling system and look hard for leaks. also run a block test to see if there is combustion gas in the cooling system.

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
I didn't run the turbos without coolant vary long. just like ~10 seconds. I will try to do a block test or something, but honestly I'm quite short on equipment and cash.

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
kelson;1428911 said:
I didn't run the turbos without coolant vary long. just like ~10 seconds. I will try to do a block test or something, but honestly I'm quite short on equipment and cash.

The coolant passage is completely separate in the casting, so there's no way you could be losing coolant out the exhaust, or into the oil for that matter, via the turbos.

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
mobes;1428949 said:
The coolant passage is completely separate in the casting, so there's no way you could be losing coolant out the exhaust, or into the oil for that matter, via the turbos.

oh ok cool thanks. thats good to know

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
r45marsh;1428763 said:
An easy way to find out if its antifreeze coming out the tailpipe is to taste it. Hold your hand in front of the exhaust, not close enough to get burned. Let some of the vapor condense on your hand. Taste it. DON'T DRINK IT just taste it. Antifreeze is very sweet. Oil isn't.

ya it tastes sweet