1jz blown head gasket?!?

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
madsupra88;1430038 said:
How do your spark plugs look?

spark plugs are fine. I've been talking with my friend who know way more about cars then I do. he has a 500hp twin turbo 300zx. and he assures me that it has to be a bhg so I'm going to pull the head. I'll let you guys know what happens.

JPsToyota

Sep 17, 2008
East-Central, FL
That definitely could be oil. You will smell the coolant, my 1J smokes like that because of (I think) valve seals. It's oil.

I also have alot of the same problems you have listed (overheating even though I just flushed with new cap and hoses) and have been wondering if it is a blown headgasket also. There just aren't enough signs pointing to BHG though... I will do a compression test soon, I suggest you follow the advice of alot of these guys and do the same.

Won't hurt to put a new gasket and do some maintenance while you're in there though, if you have the money and time go for it I guess.

edit - the decel missing is weird though.

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
JPsToyota;1431371 said:
That definitely could be oil. You will smell the coolant, my 1J smokes like that because of (I think) valve seals. It's oil.

I also have alot of the same problems you have listed (overheating even though I just flushed with new cap and hoses) and have been wondering if it is a blown headgasket also. There just aren't enough signs pointing to BHG though... I will do a compression test soon, I suggest you follow the advice of alot of these guys and do the same.

Won't hurt to put a new gasket and do some maintenance while you're in there though, if you have the money and time go for it I guess.

edit - the decel missing is weird though.

I have done a compression check and its all good, but that doesn't rule out a bhg. I am just going to buy the complete gasket set from dm so if it is a valve seal it will fix that too. I think I may be running lean because I have the original fuel lines on(my supra had 237,000 miles on it when I bought it and did my swap) and they may be all clogged up. I bought some fuel injector cleaner and i'm hoping that will help.

Last edited:

Cya

Aug 12, 2005
Columbia, S.C>
kelson;1431510 said:
I have done a compression check and its all good, but that doesn't rule out a bhg. I am just going to buy the complete gasket set from dm so if it is a valve seal it will fix that too. I think I may be running lean because I have the original fuel lines on(my supra had 237,000 miles on it when I bought it and did my swap) and they may be all clogged up. I bought some fuel injector cleaner and i'm hoping that will help.

Try a cold compression test. Once I retested my compression while cold I found that my cylnder #2 was low but when it was hot it tested fine.

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
Cya;1432533 said:
Try a cold compression test. Once I retested my compression while cold I found that my cylnder #2 was low but when it was hot it tested fine.

when I tested the engine was cold

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
WINNER!!!!......in a loosing sort of way that is. I do have 1jz bhg! I finally got the head off today and when I was looking at the gasket I found coolant and oil trapped on either side of the middle piece of the gasket. so I'll get that fixed, but I'm thinking: my heads already off, my engine is in pieces and we just got our first real snow today.....what fun things can I do since I wont be driving much?:naughty:

anyways thanks a lot for all the help guys. oh but one more question what do you suggest I should torque the head to when I put in back on with the original head studs and a new stock gasket?