1992 Turbo

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
Here most people exchange for all white front and side indicators. But I like the dark yellow ones. Gives the car a menacing look :evil2:

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
So the head got pulled today. The HG had blown between cylinder 5 and 6 (of course...)

I'll see if I can get a few pictures of the rebuild. Car should be running again monday. :biglaugh:

Btw I just bought a set of JDM tail lights too. It's going to be sweet.....

Last edited:
May 18, 2007
Aarhus
Car is back together and running better than ever. There was also a hole in the turbo hose so some pressure was escaping. So now the car drives amazingly good. Like new. Waterfall sound is gone.

There was a small defect in the HG around the 5. cylinder and in two other places it was close to blowing too. So no torquing would have helped there.

The HG is now torqued with 110Nm.

I've bought some JDM tail lights. I'm looking for a website that sells spareparts for the Supra so I can order som gaskets for the lights and a new lock mechanism.

Do you know of any website that will ship out of the US?

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
I put my JDM lights today.

It was no big deal to mount them.

All I had to do was to have to JDM lock cylinder recoded so it would work with my key. Then I had to drill two small holes for some of the trimming.

I also had to make up a longer cable to operate the lock and I also had to extend the wires for the licens plate lights to avoid having to drill more holes.

It took 10 hours total:

DCP_3222r.JPG

I like it :evil2:

Last edited:
May 18, 2007
Aarhus

I had to resolder two wires in each light since Euro Supras only have one wire for both rear light bulbs in each side. The JDM has one wire pr. bulb.

So now all lights are working:

DCP_3224r.JPG

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
Just a "little" update on the car.

Actually it's a horror story that turns out good in the end.

As stated previously in the thread the headgasket blew shortly after I bought the car.
It was bound to happen since it was the original gasket and the car had been doing 75000 miles.

So I had the headgasket replaced at a local shop specializing in Supras.
They import mainly mkIV Supras from Japan but they also do tuning and repair work.
The owner of the compay is also a member of the board of the danish Supra club. So I thought I was in good hands.

We agreed on a new HKS bead 1.2 mm metal headgasket and that the head and block should be resurfaced.

I received the car back after a few weeks.

The first thing I noticed was that the fuel tank was empty.
It was full when I left the car there.
So somehow the car had done 250 miles.
Inside the car I found a brochure from a german motel (mind you the shop is in southern Denmark close to germany).
I thought it was strange but I was happy to get my car back and it was running nicely.

But that shouldn't last.

I had an oilchange after a few hundred miles to get rid of any impurities from the gasketjob and my mechanic told me that the car was loosing oil from underneeth the turbo.
So I took the car to a friend to see what was going on.
On the way there the car threw out half the water from the radiator.

BHG......

The headgasket had gone again after only 900 miles.
And this is on a standard 7MGTE with stock turbo and no raised turbopressure.

When we looked at the engine it was obvious that the exhaust manifold had not been take off the head since all bolts were still rusted tight.
We also noticed that the head that supposedly had been resurfaced was still covered in 15 year old dust.

The turbo was loosing oil because the oil tube was bent out of shape and the 15 year old gaskets had been reused.

We did a gass test of the coolant and it showed that the headgasket had indeed blown again.

So I contacted the specific mechanic who worked for the company through one of his friends and it turned out that they had simply lifted the top thrown in a new headgasket and just clamped down the top again.

I was in shock - and in outrage.

So I called the owner up on the phone and started asking him questions about what had been done.
How it was done and where the head had been machine.
I didn't tell him about what I already knew.
I taped all our conversations.
Then I called up the shop where he said the head had been resurfaced and they told me that they hadn't received any 7MGTE top and that the head could not be surfaced without removing the exhaust manifold.

I then confronted the owner with my information and at first he was very hostile but as he understood that I had done my home work and that I would go public with all this he ended up agreeing to refund the price of the repair job and when I returned the headgasket that I had bought from him he would refund the price of that too.

So far so good.

I then found a new shop run by an ex-Toyota mechanic.

I had in the meanwhile decided to have the entire engine rebuilt with forged internals and upgraded cams.

When the new mechanic opend the engine he found that the other shop had almost filled the head with sealant.
The HKS bead 1.2 mm head gasket was infact a Cometic.
And to top off everything they had forgotten to remove the rivet that needs removing so they had actually clamped the top down over the rivet.
And of course nothing had been resurfaced.

It then turned out that the head was now severely warped.
1mm on the narrow side.
That is 1 mm on the left to right side and not the front to back side.

So I had to get a new head.

A small intermezzo:
As I wrote earlier in this thread my car had an accident many years ago (most likely when it was brand new).
It had been rebuilt so it was almost impossible to tell but the front was not completely straight.
So while the car was without it's engine I had the front on the car straightend at Toyota.
They did a great job and now the car is finally straight.

The engine is back in the car and running strong.

engine.jpg

Back to the first shop:
I have never experienced this level of dishonesty before.
Furthermore the guy is a member of the board of the very same club that I'm a member of. Talking about getting screwed by your own.
I remember the owner of the shop asking me how much power I was looking for.
I just replied that I was not going to do much tuning.
I guess he thought that since I was not going for a high horsepower engine he could just slap in the gasket and be done with it.

Well he might have gotten away with it it wasn't for the moron who forgot to remove the rivet.

I still need to find out how their holiday to germany in my car went.
I mean if they had a good time and all........:yelrotflm

Last edited:

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
Kristian_Wraae said:
Here most people exchange for all white front and side indicators. But I like the dark yellow ones. Gives the car a menacing look :evil2:

I think that too.. much better with the orange... as when you drive at dusk/dawn having the side lights orange is much hotter than clear... it's what makes the car different and I love it.

That's also the same reason why I won't put blue/white halogens... unnatural feel about it.

Sorry about the news of being screwed over... I've got a Cometic MHG in mine and I must say they seem to be great. Can't believe how much they tried to screw you over with an incomplete half assed job.

Aside from that, your car is hot. :)

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
A few summer pictures after a good clean and polish. Amazing how that 16 year old paint is still nice to look at.

DCP_3768.JPG

DCP_3771.JPG

DCP_3772.JPG

DCP_3781.JPG

DCP_3785.JPG

DCP_3786.JPG

DCP_3790.JPG

DCP_3787.JPG

DCP_3788.JPG

DCP_3794.JPG

DCP_3798.JPG

Please shoot me if I ever buy a mkIV.

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
Beautiful car! Just out of curiosity, why do you have a "twin turbo" badge on the front? Anyways, I'd kind of like to take that car for a cruise with a German hooker too! heh. Sounds like that shop owner should be test fitted for a new law suit. I'd get a new cai and a nice 3" dp and exhaust for that baby...

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
Thanks. Yes he is doing a good job in destroying his own business. The word is spreading in such a small country.

Yes I need another exhaust. I actually had ordered one but then I changed my mind. I don't know what to get. I like the stock look but it needs to be able to flow 400-500 hp. I also don't like noise.

I have a HKS twin turbo manifold that just needs two new turbos. I'll be waiting for the FFIM that Arz is doing (hopefully doing).

I'm doing the upgrade this winter.

I got the badge from someone here at Supramania. I thought I could just as well put it on now.

I know it's a bit pretentious, but what the hell.:biglaugh:

DCP_3800.JPG