1992 Turbo

pogoism9

1UZ for me!
May 18, 2007
fredericksburg, va
watch the double din radio. the radio in mine was aftermarket and shot so i wanted to put my radio from my 04 celica in there. mounted up fine and connectors were the same, radio played and sounded good. The only problem was the radio surround in the supra. The opening was not big enough to accept the face of the celica deck.

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
pogoism9 said:
watch the double din radio. the radio in mine was aftermarket and shot so i wanted to put my radio from my 04 celica in there. mounted up fine and connectors were the same, radio played and sounded good. The only problem was the radio surround in the supra. The opening was not big enough to accept the face of the celica deck.

Yeah I'm aware of it. Someone told me the Supra is not quite double DIN. So I'll see how much it needs trimming. If it's too much I think I'll just look for the separate CD player.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Do this now before you have problems. Retorque the stock head bolts to 72-75 ft/lbs before the HG wants to blow. That's the only weak spot in the car that I can see. I love the interior leather!

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
starscream5000 said:
Do this now before you have problems. Retorque the stock head bolts to 72-75 ft/lbs before the HG wants to blow. That's the only weak spot in the car that I can see. I love the interior leather!

I talked to someone about retorqueing the HG but he said it was very difficult to do properly if the head has been on the car for that long. He said the bolts migth be very tight and 75 ft/lbs might not be enough even to turn the bolts. Besides he didn't think it would do much in terms of preventing the HG from blowing.

So now I don't know what to do.

Where I live cars are very expensive. The reason is our tax system. A car like mine costs +20K$. So if the HG blows it is going to cost but compared to the price of the car it is not that expensive. Nothing that will prevent me from putting a metal HG. So I don't know if I should just wait for it to blow or try to prevent it from blowing.

Thanks guys for all the nice compliments. It makes me love the car even more.

:icon_bigg

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Um... Prevent the HG from blowing? :nuts:

Don't listen to the guys that told you that junk, retorque the head bolts, it's not that difficult to do and it's not rocket science. If you don't retorque them now you better start saving up for a MHG job becuase that's what will eventually happen to it. The weak link in the supra is the stock torque spec for the head bolts, it should have been around 75 ft/lbs, it's not a hit and miss syndrom with the supras, it's the weak link in all of the MKIII's.

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
Wills7MGTE said:
I like you're car, very nice shape, one small issue. When did 92's get thoese shitty pre 89 tailights?

Those are what all european Supras are equiped with regardles of year.

If you look at the keyhole for the trunklid you'll notice that it is located further to the right than on US Supras.

So it won't be a straight swap to exchange the taillights. In order to do that I'll need to drill a new hole in the body and exchange the cable setup to the lock.

But I'm seriously considering the darker colored Japanese taillight setup.

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
starscream5000 said:
Um... Prevent the HG from blowing? :nuts:

Don't listen to the guys that told you that junk, retorque the head bolts, it's not that difficult to do and it's not rocket science. If you don't retorque them now you better start saving up for a MHG job becuase that's what will eventually happen to it. The weak link in the supra is the stock torque spec for the head bolts, it should have been around 75 ft/lbs, it's not a hit and miss syndrom with the supras, it's the weak link in all of the MKIII's.

Actually I think the headgasket has just blown (I think it happend last friday). I'm going to have it checked tomorrow.

It was bound to happen. Anyway I'll put a metal headgasket now. Then I can also start boosting a little :evil2:

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
I didn't know all the euro's had that setup, sorry if I offended ya I just can't stand the pre 89 look, I know a lot of guys like them I just really don't I think the car looks much cleaner with the 89+ bumpers and lights and spoiler. That would look awesome though, the darker JDM lights that would work very well with your color scheme, and again nice car. Good luck with the HG

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
Wills7MGTE said:
I didn't know all the euro's had that setup, sorry if I offended ya I just can't stand the pre 89 look, I know a lot of guys like them I just really don't I think the car looks much cleaner with the 89+ bumpers and lights and spoiler. That would look awesome though, the darker JDM lights that would work very well with your color scheme, and again nice car. Good luck with the HG

Thanks. And I agree those USDM or JDM taillights are much better looking.

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
swaq said:
I think it's due to the wider license plates.

Yes you are right. We only have to types of plate: a wide and a squared.

If I make the taillight swap I have to get the squared license plate and then I need to cut the top and the bottom to make it fit:

image.jpg

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
I had a exhaust gas test done today. They check if there is exhaust gas in the radiator. And there was nothing.

The problem is that I can see airbubbles coiming out of the tube going into the expansion tank. It looks a bit like one of them "air rocks" from a fishtank.

Toyota didn't think it was the HG but I talked to another guy who specializes in importing and tuning Supras and he says it has to be the HG. Nothing else can make those bubbles.

What do you think?

Stock 7m with original torque settings = blown head gasket for sure... There is not one owner that I know who has not had to redo the head at one point from the stock settings. If you do end up changing the gasket, change the bolts to the ARP product or even better, go for the ARP stud kit. You don't necessarily need to go metal gasket as with torque settings at the 75~82 range, even a good quality normal gasket will withstand most pressure unless you are looking to go 500+hp... IMO of course.
Last... VERY NICE LOOKING CAR and INTERIOR... congratulations on the purchase.

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
Thanks

I'm going to have the engine pulled. Then I'll recondition the head, put a metal headgasket, ARP bolts and new rod bearings.

Everything done professionally.

And then I don't want to ever hear the word headgasket again :biglaugh: