Younger crowd, or just me...

Superjustin13

Supra teacher 101
Apr 4, 2005
Idaho
well, I wouldnt say they look down at you because your age, primarily the attitude that says I know it all, i know how to world works etc.

One that drives me completely insane is when I do the work for someone that thinks their a badass Mechanic (when they cant even change there own oil) and tells everyone they did it themselves, same with on this forum, there daddy does it for them and they take credit for it and truely believes they know everything (when they dont know there asshole from a hole in the ground)

Also When i'll read some complete bullshit replys to someone needing help that is completely wrong and misleading and posting and posting to get there cost count up. when truely they dont know WTF Is going on.

And its just hard to take Teenagers seriously with there mechanical skills, I know easily 20+ local "mechanic" friends that i cant even have a conversation with i lose them after one sentence, and they think theyre FTW

you have nothing to prove to this forum, only thing you need to prove is to yourself

*sorry a lil offtopic and a lil rant but w/e*

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Matt: "Stupid" knows no age boundaries ;)

I try to help everyone equally right up until they prove to me they're a waste of time and effort (usually happens sooner rather than later)

If I know the answer to a question I'll jump in and provide it and most times I'm correct, if someone knows better and corrects me I'm happy to have a gap in my knowledge filled and will thank them.

A LOT of the young guys "think" they know everything about everything and can't cope with being corrected, If after 30+ years of playing with performance cars I'm still learning how can they possibly think they know it all?

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
I agree with IJ and justin...I really don't think age has anything to do with it...how you present yourself determines how others will treat you on here...

I signed up on SM just before my 17th birthday, and I've never felt alienated because of my age...Everyone was actually very helpful, and made owning a Supra possible for me. If it weren't for those that helped me in the early days, my Supra wouldn't be what it is today. :)

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Age does not equal maturity, but let's face it: younger people have a good chance of acting in ways that annoy older people.

Example:
If you ever say or type something that resembles "I am only [x] but people tell me that I am more mature and act older!", you are announcing your youth. Who cares!? Nobody cares about your age until you become the young dumbshit who begins pissing people off.

Most of the time, people who say they are more mature than people their age are told these things because
A) The older person who told them this had limited experience with them, were humoring them, or are immature as well.
B) An older guy was telling a younger girl that to talk them up, because aside from acting like an adult, do you know what mature girls also do?
C) You made your own inference that YOU are mature because you are a social outcast and you view what other kids at school do as "immature" [which can be gathered from simple observation, not in-depth study - they are KIDS!].

Ask questions and contribute - be part of the community here. Let your age surprise people when you shake their hand at a meet.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
drunk_medic said:
Ask questions and contribute - be part of the community here. Let your age surprise people when you shake their hand at a meet.

Haha, funny you should say that...at a local meet recently, everyone was wondering why I wasn't ordering alcohol...and when I told them I was 18, everyone was shocked...was quite funny...maybe they thought I was older because I'm 6'5"? LOL

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
johnathan1 said:
Haha, funny you should say that...at a local meet recently, everyone was wondering why I wasn't ordering alcohol...and when I told them I was 18, everyone was shocked...was quite funny...maybe they thought I was older because I'm 6'5"? LOL
"Chicken Steroids" ;)

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Being part of the younger crowd I will not hesitate to "hate" on young members doing any of the following:

1) Stupid comment
2) Talking shit
3) Starting arguements
4) Not using the SEARCH before questions
5) AND especially GAY RETARDED AND DANGEROUS RACING IN THE KILLS FORUM

And donuts on the lawn do not help your case at all.

Topher E

Trance Head
Aug 4, 2005
Vacaville
I have had a lot of experance with the "Younger Crowd" you speak of. Seriously, I look down at people who are too stupid to use common sense while in a field of buisuness. Example given; my college is that of a Tpypta sponsored and there is a certain level of "Assumed knowledge." With that being said these dummies are 18-20 and live at home (not a bad thing as i do the same.) and constantly bitch about their parents not letting them have enough freedom. Being in that age group it baffles me that they lothe their parents to the point of bad mouthing them in front of others.

Breifly put, they suck. I have had a good relationship with my parents and they have tolerated many things i have done in the past and have forgiven me of these mistakes. It seems most of these fucks havnt hada bit of disipline in thei lives and are now in college and wanting to be free as a bird not wanting any tie downs.

Riiiight. Being mature and actually knowing wnought to admit when you dont know something is a huge differance rather than trying to hide what you broke. I have a huge ass ego when it comes to a shop environment and these guys dont realize how professional the atmosphere is. Having worked in a dealership I know what to expect from people new to cars. ASKING is number one; sure you might get ragged on for not knowing but as soon as you do you fire one right back and make that person look stupid. Its more fun than it sounds.

These older guys or those that just have more experance in the field get tired of the same shit different day scianrio. Bluntly - dont repeat the same mistaked and you wont be frowned upon. be mature and present yourself accordingly. All is downhill from there. As far as ago shit goes, I have been mistaken for 26 before -.- All in the way you carry yourself and present yourself.

Cliffs - Fuck you read it.

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
Junkie said:
Trucker, I agree, the "playfull" part of CS leaves a bit to be desired. Was different awhile back. Seems like the only crazy talk, comes from us flakes in the PNW.

yeah, you pnw flakes.....

sorry i missed you this weekend, iwas in town kinna late, and the powers to be felt i would better serve the company by deadheading to ca and stuffing my thumb up my ass all weeknd.would have rather "wasted" my time up there.

i'm changing companies in a couple of weeks, that kind of move is typical for these guys getting a little tired of it....

oh shit was that my first threadjack?

A

ArthurRitus

im young, and i have a feeling you guys are going to look down on me once they find out i took my supra to the shop for my BHG instead of doing it myself.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
This has pretty much already been said, but I want to restate it. This is the internet. No one knows how old you are unless you tell them. Therefore you are not going to be looked down upon for being young. Age does not equate maturity. I don't know the age of a lot of people who post on this forum.

I'm 23, I joined i-Supra and bought my first Supra when I was 18. I have never felt looked down on for my age.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
swaq said:
I'm 23, I joined i-Supra and bought my first Supra when I was 18. I have never felt looked down on for my age.

About 5 years ago, swaq - we were both on I-Supra as I recall. You never started any BS, never tried to get under people's skin, asked the right questions, you requested instead of expected help, and were overall a very pleasant person. There is a reason that your age has never been a negative modifier to your reputation.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
I get PM's all the time and sometimes I feel this way. I still like helping people but this is said best.

Duane

Link from SC post:

What we are, unapologetically, is hostile to people who seem to be unwilling to think or to do their own homework before asking a question. People like that are time sinks - they take without giving back, and they waste time we could have spent on another question more interesting and another person more worthy of an answer.