Wyotech or UTI? Opinions on em?

JXboost

LifeTakingbeast
Mar 9, 2007
N/A
Hey what's up guys? Before I ask anything, I know there are some threads on this, but they are approx 2 years old and I don't want to revive them, and none of those threads really answers my question, so I thought I post a new one. Well, I'm still young (18), I wanna know some opinions/experience from going to UTI or Wyo tech and that Which school is better and what you can get out of it. I'd really like to hear some opinions of those who actually went to school or knew someone who went to it. I am really open minded and I would love to hear the cons and pros about those schools.

Here is what I have in mind, Go into the Airforce (currently in the process), get my GI BILL and maybe use it on one of those school? Well throw me sum opinions of what you think about them 2 schools. :1zhelp:

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Neighter Bro.

After talking with both, they both felt likes sales people.

You're in Sacramento?

Look into the ASE program at American River College or the Los Rios System.

What area do you live in?

Do you by chance drive a awful burgundy supra with Negative Camber?

willtotheumm

I Bleed TRD
Apr 11, 2008
Orcutt, CA
www.myspace.com
Neither. Save your money. I went to UTI and its a complete waste. My friend is going to Wyotech but he thinks its cool. I've heard of people leaving one for the other and vise versa.

Just my .02

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
Yeah man we both have similar questions. As for me I am 17 and I have an 89 turbo targa 5spd. Today in Auto mechanics class the UTI guy came in. It seemed like it would be the ideal place to go but I am a lil skepticle about the whole thing. The bad thing is I signed the waver form to have an interview. I live in So. Cal. So the only choice I have is to go to Cerritos college I've been to the campus and they have a fantastic Automotive program and pretty good facility. I think I going to stick to my original plan. I will be attending school there after HighSchool major in Business and Minor in Automotive. Also I don't think serveing in the military is a good idea but the Airforce is for the smarties... unless you are going to be a cook then nevermind. I'd say dook it out get free money aka fill out FAFSA FORMS and CAL GRANTS, get like an apprenticeship or something and work it out. I don't know. After all I am only 17. Good luck man.

-Steve Z

P.S. only bad thing about JC is that you have to take academic classes, but I think it might be worth it.

GuNDeZZZ

Was dgilman360
Sep 28, 2006
Lakeland Florida
UTI is useless, my gf's brother went to UTI and also the Mercedes elite program, who both promised him a job starting right after graduating, so about 6 months have passed and he is still waiting to get hired from Merc...

Yeah BIG waste of money also, all they teach you is whats in a book, your better off getting "trained" at a Votech school, which is pretty much all hands on...

IMO

I personally attended a small votech school locally, I was picked for the Ford AAA competition in which me and a teammate took 2nd place, earning us numerous scholarships (and tools) including a FREE full ride at Wyotech as well as UTI and other schools... Needless to say I didn't take them up on it, as the only one that peeked my interest was the one for SCC's new campus here...

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
Waste of money. My friend just got out of UTI and he is now $30k or something in the hole and is working for a dealership as a lube tech for $9hr and moving up from there. He could have gotten that job without going to UTI...

IndyMK3

I Hate Godzilla Too!!!!
May 15, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana
I see that u guys are located on the west coast but I've heard alot about UNOH (University of Northwestern Ohio). they have a high performance course ... i think me and a buddie are going in june..

Topher E

Trance Head
Aug 4, 2005
Vacaville
Zumtizzle;1219126 said:
Neithter Bro.

After talking with both, they both felt likes sales people.

You're in Sacramento?

Look into the ASE program at American River College or the Los Rios System.

What area do you live in?

Do you by chance drive a awful burgundy supra with Negative Camber?

This!

I went thru the ACR automotive program, much cheaper and i got a better education there. I was T-Ten and in the top % of the class. Great program and you get to pick on the welders. I made great friends as well. Its a close program and the instructors have all had on the job experience so its not just another tech school, these are real situations you are being prepped for.

If you want to find out any info dont be afraid to contact me.

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
Poodles;1219499 said:
Learn through the airforce?

Working on airplanes will get you more cash than working on cars...

Yeah you wold think your experience in the Air Force would be worth so much more than anything those schools can get you.

GuNDeZZZ

Was dgilman360
Sep 28, 2006
Lakeland Florida
IndyMK3;1219445 said:
I see that u guys are located on the west coast but I've heard alot about UNOH (University of Northwestern Ohio). they have a high performance course ... i think me and a buddie are going in june..

I also have a scholarship to attend this school... But after meeting with the rep that was at the competition I was in, I didn't want to attend it...

Now I'm going through nursing school...

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
I was enrolled at wyotech. Decided It really wasn't for me now I am going for a mechanical engineering degree at the local university. For the same tuition costs I can have 3 years at the university vs 1 at a tech school.

JXboost

LifeTakingbeast
Mar 9, 2007
N/A
Thanks guys, yeah, maybe you people have it right... I mean... I don't want to believe rumors, But then, you guys could probably be right, I mean all I hear is yea people have gone to that school and said it was a waste and that they learned more at a friends autoshop than they did at UTI or WYOTECH the whole year. Any idea's what type of university offers top hands on automotive tech to be ASE? I'm still open to hear peoples experiences...

-James

Last edited:

85celicasupra

spokane supra owner
Mar 9, 2008
spokane,wa
forums.celicasupra.com
Well I will bring a positive post into this thread.

I am enrolled now, my start date is July, and Im stoked.

Just like the posts in this thread, I have heard stories about a persons friend, uncle, sisters brothers, kid and how it didnt help them etc.

but from the numerous people I have talked to who actually went through it themselves said that they loved it, they wouldnt take it back for the world.

Some people say dont do it, join the military, or get a real degree..
well thats just not for some people.

I am finishing HS this year with honors, Im a good student, good grades, etc. but I hate it, I couldnt ever imagine 4 more years of the same stuff. I have no idea what i would do in a 4 year, or what I would go for.
Also the military just doesnt interest me.

If YOU wanna do it, then do it. Its your life, its your desicion, I personally am not gonna be the guy who bases desicions this big off a internet forum, especially from people who havent gone through it personally.

I mean no disrespect to anyone in this thread, Just voicing my opinion.

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
While it is your choice on weather on no you want to go to the school or not, its going to be helpfull to know that almost everyone who spenk 30k to attend those schools say you can get the same education and jobs from your community college. The other thing I've heard from the guys who stuck with it and went into the mechanic field say that they dont like it for the reason that its fun to do for a few weekends of the year, but to do it 40+ hours a week just wears you down and takes away the passion they have for their cars.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
GuNDeZZZ;1219409 said:
I personally attended a small votech school locally, I was picked for the Ford AAA competition in which me and a teammate took 2nd place, earning us numerous scholarships (and tools) including a FREE full ride at Wyotech as well as UTI and other schools... Needless to say I didn't take them up on it, as the only one that peeked my interest was the one for SCC's new campus here...

Really? No way! I did the ford AAA competition last year and came first in California, but didnt do very well in the nationals. Did you get second in the nationals? If you were there so was i!

As for the school, im going to UTI right now, and if i didnt get a scholarship i definately would not be here. I think its a good idea to take advantage of this scholarship but i feel like for what we do, they overcharge. Not to mention if this is the only schooling you do, you will likely get a job afterwards, and thats it, rather than a career. I do enjoy it though, besides the whole sausage fest thing... Its almost bad enough that i want to quit.

GuNDeZZZ

Was dgilman360
Sep 28, 2006
Lakeland Florida
CyFi6;1219776 said:
Really? No way! I did the ford AAA competition last year and came first in California, but didnt do very well in the nationals. Did you get second in the nationals? If you were there so was i!

As for the school, im going to UTI right now, and if i didnt get a scholarship i definately would not be here. I think its a good idea to take advantage of this scholarship but i feel like for what we do, they overcharge. Not to mention if this is the only schooling you do, you will likely get a job afterwards, and thats it, rather than a career. I do enjoy it though, besides the whole sausage fest thing... Its almost bad enough that i want to quit.

Nah, I didn't make it to the nationals, my stupid fucken teammate took the escape to be checked in before I was ready. Meaning we missed one small thing. Which is alright because I personally didn't want compete in it anyway, my teacher had to pretty much twist my arm because the next choice was a kid named David who was not the smartest guy... to say the least...
Lets just say, he got kicked out of the school for taking a picture of his cock and balls with a customers camera and left it in her car...

The problem with UTI, and this is coming from my gf's brothers mouth who attended UTI and Mercedes Benz Elite program, they promise so much and do not deliver at all, and my opinion is they teach to much out of a book and little hands on, so sometimes even though he attended THE BEST SCHOOL EVER lol he makes really stupid mistakes, because of his lack of hands on experience, and comes to me for help... IMO save the 14k you would spend on the schooling and either attend a smaller local tech program, or go into medicine like I did. There is always going to be jobs in health care.

85celicasupra

spokane supra owner
Mar 9, 2008
spokane,wa
forums.celicasupra.com
so go to the school for the fact of the school, not Promises that they make,

I dont know about UTI but I was never promised any jobs when I was signing up for wyotech.
I was informed about their career program where they help with resumes, finding places that are highering and send out resumes.
You have to want to get a good job too...if you just sit back and hope they find you some amazing career, its probably not gonna happen.

As for hands on,

wyotechs programs (at least from my programs book) are 40% classroom/theory 60% hands on/in the shop.

GuNDeZZZ

Was dgilman360
Sep 28, 2006
Lakeland Florida
85celicasupra;1220141 said:
wyotechs programs (at least from my programs book) are 40% classroom/theory 60% hands on/in the shop.

If this is true than that's like 50% more hands on than UTI, which is good.