WTF...lost my power steering

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
I was repairing my o2 sensor wire at my school and when I went to pull out of the bay my power steering was almost gone. I say almost because its not as hard to turn it as the engine is off. So what could have happened? I took it on the freeway today and it felt normal but when I got off it was hard again. Is my pump about to die completly? The fluid is full and the belt is tight. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Possibly clogged? Im going to assume there's a screen in there somewhere, just like there is on the mk2s. Many people take the screens out, clean them, flush the system and the PS works great afterwards

The PS isn't whining at all??

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
It is not making any noises at all.I think I heard these are progressive pumps. If so maybe my low speed valve is plugged.

Supra60-1

May 29, 2005
Alabama
Mine did this for a little while. There is a vacuum line going into a sensor on the back of the pump. If there's a leak, you dont get the slow speed assist. I almost ran into a gas pump one night driving with my index finger (stupid), because the line popped off under boost. Really freaked out my passenger.

Last edited:

loki2043

Jan 23, 2006
Portland, OR
Supra60-1 said:
Mine did this for a little while. There is a vacuum line going into a sensor on the back of the pump. If there's a leak, you dont get the slow speed assist. I almost ran into a gas pump one night driving with my index finger (stupid), because the line popped off under boost. Really freaked out my passenger.

hmm that would have been very interesting to see... and scary

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
Well i found my problem. Theres a connector comming up from the rack that got disconnected and I just plugged it back in. Im glad it was an easy fix.