WTF did I just got owned by this coolant system? *PICS*

Datsrboi

Loud pipes Save Lives
Jul 31, 2007
Haltom Texas
www.cardomain.com
Is the thermostat suppose to be located on top of the water pump on my turbo supra? If not.... then where is suppose to be? Because when I opened the top up, there were no thermostat AT ALL!!!! If there was suppose to be one there, is that why my car is shooting coolant out of the reservoir?

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I stripped my coolant system out. Ran pressure water through the radiator with no resistance. Ran water through the block where the water pump would pump the water into and it come out of the thermostat port freely with no resistance. I looked at the water pump and saw this.. It still spins freely though. Im not sure if thats would stop a flow though..I am sure I do not have a BHG but some sort of clog might be still somewhere in the engine block.

Last edited:

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
yes, thats where the t-stat is. Its hot here, so you probably didn't hurt anything by not running one as its going to heat up fast. And no, thats probably not why its shooting coolant out of the reservoir.

Datsrboi

Loud pipes Save Lives
Jul 31, 2007
Haltom Texas
www.cardomain.com
kawkoretsx said:
I bet if you go back to a stock intake youll gain about 5 more horse over that K&N ripoff, seriously.

Actually the K&N is in my garage. I cleaned it a few days back and needed a car to drive while it was being dried out so threw on those cheap one for now. Thats not the current problem at stake though.. My current problem is BHG or not.

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
30 day, 100% money back guarantee the previous owner took it out because the engine was overheating. Which is about the most hack thing you can do to fix an overheating problem. Actually, it doesn't fix anything, it creates a new problem.

If your radiator cap is in proper working condition then you have symptoms of a BHG, like he said, OH NOES!!!

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
You need to do a compression & leak down test on your engine.

When you do your leak down, take the radiator cap off and see if the coolant level rises inside the radiator.

If it does, its BHG. ;-)

Datsrboi

Loud pipes Save Lives
Jul 31, 2007
Haltom Texas
www.cardomain.com
MDCmotorsports said:
You need to do a compression & leak down test on your engine.

When you do your leak down, take the radiator cap off and see if the coolant level rises inside the radiator.

If it does, its BHG. ;-)

Do you mean open the radiator cap and do the compression test? If the coolant rise then confirm BHG? I just got the compression test tools awhile ago but its 102 degree outside.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
The purpose of looking into the rad. when doing that is to see if the compressed air is leaking into a coolant passage, thus, causing the level of coolant to fluctuate.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Buy a NAPA combustion gas test kit and check the coolant.

The T Stat has the seal for that water neck so my guess would be at this stage if it passes the napa test it's just leaking at the water neck after some genius Cletus'd it.......

Datsrboi

Loud pipes Save Lives
Jul 31, 2007
Haltom Texas
www.cardomain.com
IJ. said:
Buy a NAPA combustion gas test kit and check the coolant.

The T Stat has the seal for that water neck so my guess would be at this stage if it passes the napa test it's just leaking at the water neck after some genius Cletus'd it.......

I was pretty mad when I saw there were no thermostat. The only leaking I am seeing is from the Coolant resorvoir breather hose. I see no leak anywhere else throughout the engine. I hope there are no BHG because that would mean hell of a work for me.

White Zombie

Feb 1, 2007
Hampton , VA
Yes definite on the Leak down test (you know where you fill the cylinders with compressed air) Or do the coolant pressure test with all plugs removed on a cold engine. Thats how I found mine! Coolant spewing out the plug holes!!!!

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
if you do have a bhg after you are done fixing it i would clean the system out yours looks thrashed with all of the brown Goo (old coolant, rust etc)