WTF?90 degree coolant hose...

ilikebigbutts

workin' my dream
Jun 10, 2007
Pittsburgh
^^^yeah i figured i'm gonna remove the valve covers since they are seeping oil anyway ... excellent excuse to replace the gakets.i got long thin fingers so thats gonna help.

i really don't care how much of a pain it is really...i deal with this everyday...no matter how hard the job is nothings impossible just need patience and a couple of cuss words lol.

i just wished my mbc didnt come in today cause now the last thing i wanna do wait for parts and time to do this.

also, i thought about just putting a bolt back in but i already got lucky enough not to blow my engine twice already by dumping all my coolant on the road, i dont wanna risk it again.

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
I agree with jetjock. Get an EGR cooler gasket from the toyota dealer BECAUSE any aftermarket EGR cooler gasket will be made out of PAPER!!! The EGR cooler gasket from the dealer is made out of the same material that a stock head gasket is made out of. Its made out of shiny metallic material, and has the consistancy of lead. It will run you $25 from the dealer.

BUT!!! Good luck trying to clean the sealing surface on the cylinder head with the cylinder head still bolted to the block!!! I personally would try to put the bolt back in before replacing the gasket because I don't see how you will get the EGR cooler plate to seal correctly with 20 year old gasket crap on the sealing surface!!

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
Yep most situations with my supra are shitty.

To make it shittier, I hope that the threads for that missing bolt are not stripped. That would make sense why its not there. To your knowledge, has the EGR cooler ever been off? Doesn't matter really, it could have been off before you owned the car and someone else stripped it. Just an idea. Wouldn't be too hard to helicoil it, its M6 but I don't know what thread pitch. But helicoiling an M6 into aluminum is pretty easy. That is, with the head removed LOL!

ilikebigbutts

workin' my dream
Jun 10, 2007
Pittsburgh
^^^you know i thought about that but i really tried not to haha.but i drove the car for 70 miles since i got it (and got it running) before the first hose melted, and the hole was smaller on that one.so it got worse.i dont know if its been missing for a while and the gasket held its own or it has slowly started backing out...

I REALLY hope the threads are not stripped in that mofo!!!!

ilikebigbutts

workin' my dream
Jun 10, 2007
Pittsburgh
BTW i havent even driven the car for 100 miles yet... the only thing i know is that it was owned my one person up until like 6 months ago then sold to a complete hack who turned the boost up, blew the turbo (turbo whined like a mofo) and had like 5 boost leaks.he thought the motor was toast because it has an exhaust leak that makes a putting sound(related it to knocking sound)

yeah i got a hell of a deal on this car.