Worlds LARGEST Engine =)

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
Isphius said:
well yeah, but with the design of a 2 stroke the exhaust and transfer ports are open at the same time, so the boost is just gona blow out. Im sure it could boost to like ...0 or 1 psi(still better than vacuum) and would defeat all the resistance inside the motor and still make it much more powerful though
It can still increse the charge of the air. Have you never seen a detriot diesel 2-stroke? It has a blower (for scavenging effect) and a turbo to boot. They sound wicked too. I know that didn't explain anything you said, I just threw it in for discusion.

Maybe supraguru will chime in, or Nick M.

BlackMKIII

Hardcore Lurker
Jan 6, 2007
Norman, Oklahoma
www.facebook.com
Poodles said:
10023_1.jpg

That is what I want for my new 1JZ :sarcasm:

90T04

Mar 30, 2005
Tucson, AZ
www.azsupras.com
howstuffworks.com said:
The two-stroke diesel cycle goes like this:

1. When the piston is at the top of its travel, the cylinder contains a charge of highly compressed air. Diesel fuel is sprayed into the cylinder by the injector and immediately ignites because of the heat and pressure inside the cylinder. This is the same process described in How Diesel Engines Work.

2. The pressure created by the combustion of the fuel drives the piston downward. This is the power stroke.

3. As the piston nears the bottom of its stroke, all of the exhaust valves open. Exhaust gases rush out of the cylinder, relieving the pressure.

4. As the piston bottoms out, it uncovers the air intake ports. Pressurized air fills the cylinder, forcing out the remainder of the exhaust gases.

5. The exhaust valves close and the piston starts traveling back upward, re-covering the intake ports and compressing the fresh charge of air. This is the compression stroke.

6. As the piston nears the top of the cylinder, the cycle repeats with step 1.

From this description, you can see the big difference between a diesel two-stroke engine and a gasoline two-stroke engine: In the diesel version, only air fills the cylinder, rather than gas and air mixed together. This means that a diesel two-stroke engine suffers from none of the environmental problems that plague a gasoline two-stroke engine. On the other hand, a diesel two-stroke engine must have a turbocharger or a supercharger, and this means that you will never find a diesel two-stroke on a chain saw -- it would simply be too expensive.

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
thats some weird stuff. I can see why now though. If it is implying that it has a camshaft or some sort of mechanical exhaust valve, I can see how it would be possible to boost it, and also it would need the pressurized air to work right, like a gas 2 stroke needs because the cylinder and piston never see vacuum to suck in air. Its crazy that 2 stroke engines even work, and not just work but make tons of power too.

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
2 stroke - 2 power stokes per crankshaft revloution instead of 1 power stroke in the 4 stroke engine like ours.

My race Honda NSR was 2 stoke. The inside of the cylinders were nikasil lined because of high rpm. To rebuild the engine would cost about $3000-$4000.

Loved that bike.

Cheers,
Roy

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
2-strokes pull like mad, they're much stronger engines in the power they put out, but they're dirty...

Aprilia makes some cool injected 2-stroke scooters that cut emissions WAY down...

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
As was stated before a two stroke diesel and a two stroke gasoline engine are two totally different engines, with two totally different characteristics. One theory of operation does not apply to another.