Without a MAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drlftr

Banned at own request.
Jun 18, 2006
Jeffersonville, IN
If I took off my MAF and turbo inlet hose and ran the car around for a bit would that cause any kind of problems?.. other than the danger of debri entering the turbo.. has anyone done this? I was wanting to see if the turbo spooled quicker or i got any kind of gain, i'm about to go dyno.

Drlftr

Banned at own request.
Jun 18, 2006
Jeffersonville, IN
mmk yeah now that i'm actually thinking about it i've never seen a car run without the maf.. I just like the look of an open turbo inlet, but i'm guessing thats not possible

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
It is if you get a MAFT-Pro and go speed/density...
But running open turbo is stupid, you want a filter on there

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Drlftr said:
Whoops I guess I cant ask a question. Dont be a dick

Asking what you asked is not that much different than asking if you can run on Diesel fuel becuase it has higher BTU content. Just do a little homework first, that is all.

sleepwalker

Apr 26, 2005
San Diego
like they said it will run like sh*t (been there, done that) plus you can damage your turbo. (like small rock and stuff from under the hood flyin into the turbo)

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
sleepwalker said:
like they said it will run like sh*t (been there, done that) plus you can damage your turbo. (like small rock and stuff from under the hood flyin into the turbo)

question... how much will it effect my performance if the owner before me did this and i have chips in my conpresser wheel. like alot of chips but none big enough to effect the structer of the turbo wheel. i'm saving this supras life the guy blew the bottom end so im treating it to a balanced performance bottom. (I'm dieing here waiting for my pistons to come in. lol) thanks

Suprawannabe

meh... im lazy
Oct 27, 2005
Denver, CO
whenmunkysfly said:
question... how much will it effect my performance if the owner before me did this and i have chips in my conpresser wheel. like alot of chips but none big enough to effect the structer of the turbo wheel. i'm saving this supras life the guy blew the bottom end so im treating it to a balanced performance bottom. (I'm dieing here waiting for my pistons to come in. lol) thanks

Considering how fast the turbine/compressor wheel spins, I would think it could throw it off balance besides the fact that all sorts of crud went through your compressor as well. Replacing it would be your safest option.

Since your rebuilding your motor you should get rid of any weak link while your at it. It sucks waiting a long time to get your car running and then taking that first ride to have something go out on you.

edit: O yeah, can our car even run without a MAF? I forgot to put the connetor on once and the car started but when I hit the gas it cut off.

amd_hcds

Dec 20, 2005
Chicago,IL
IIRC if you remove the maf the car will run but rich as hell and i guess dangerously rich and i don't see a reason why you wanted to remove your maf? thinking of gains i don't think toyota was too stupid that removing it will gain you more power..if your maf sucked on you on the road and the car won't run anymore remove the connector going to the maf and drive the car slowly until you reach your home to fix\replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.