Why won't it start?

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
The code 12 is the only code that gives us a clue as to why your car may not be starting...It's likely the CPS wiring, not the CPS itself... try plugging and unplugging the connector a few times, and give it a few good wiggles before you try replacing it.

When cranking the engine, does the tach needle bounce slightly?

antman

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
TN
JohnRardin;1013917 said:
I wouldn't say that my car's reliable necessarily, more like I'm too poor to pay a mechanic so I've just kinda taught myself to fix whatever comes up.

LOL! He was being slightly sarcastic.

Always check your codes first.

Also the 550's and lexus should not throw a code.

JohnRardin

JDM 7MGTE
Apr 4, 2006
Radford, VA
johnathan1;1014957 said:
The code 12 is the only code that gives us a clue as to why your car may not be starting...It's likely the CPS wiring, not the CPS itself... try plugging and unplugging the connector a few times, and give it a few good wiggles before you try replacing it.

When cranking the engine, does the tach needle bounce slightly?

I went back again yesterday feeling like I may have had some helpful ideas but nothing changed. I tried cleaning the plugs and wiggling it in anyway possible. Nothing. I do have one idea though:

The CPS and O2 sensor both meet into the same wiring. If those wires went bad that would explain both the 02 and CPS codes. Anyone think this is possible?

Unfortunately I completely forgot to look at the tach, that would tell me if it was working right away. I had my dad cranking while I messed with wires so I never saw. I'll probably make one last trip to attempt to do this myself. I can change the CPS if I know that it'll fix it but somehow I think its more likely that its wiring. The JDM engine should have about 50k miles so its not likely that it just went bad.

HELP!!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
If those wires are touching, and touching ground, then yes. Don't count on it though. The ECU will report open or short.