Why won't it start? PLEASE HELP!

JohnRardin

JDM 7MGTE
Apr 4, 2006
Radford, VA
Ok so I parked my 89' Supra at my x-band members' house close to a month ago and I can't seem to get it to start for the life of me! It ran fine when it was parked but during the 3 weeks or so it was there it's been in the teens outside so Im betting thats a factor.

The first time I tried to start it, it cranked fine and fired once every second or so. Even though it cranked fine I tried jump starting it in case the battery was the problem. No luck.

Today when I tried for a second time, it acted the same way. I added 2 gallons of fuel with a little bit of Heet (fuel antifreeze that removes water) and changed 3 spark plugs. This time when I crank instead of getting a single fire every second or so, it fires in pairs but still no start. One time it wanted to start but died right away. Just for the hell of it, I hooked up jumper cables again and tried that even though it was cranking fine. The only other thing I could think to try was to reset the ECU so I yanked the fuses, waited, and tried one last time. No luck.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? I gotta get my car before the next storm leaves it stranded at my x-band's house. not cool. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
________
Art On The Hill Condo Pattaya

Last edited:

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Giggle the CPS wires and have someone crank. Shake it while you are cranking the engine, do that and report back. If it starts, get it home right away and report back. You will need a different CPS or get that one rebuilt.

If you can trouble shoot outside, check for spark and fuel during cranking but since you are getting spark and fuel sometimes, it looks to be a bad CPS.

JohnRardin

JDM 7MGTE
Apr 4, 2006
Radford, VA
I doubt that's the problem but its a good thought. Once before years ago the CPS wires were preventing me from starting and I just touched them and it was fine. When that happens it won't even try to crank though so that can't be it. I'll try it anyways when I go back next time just to be sure but it has to be something else I would think. Right? Any other thoughts? Thanks!
________
LIVE SEX

Last edited:

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
Try putting a jumper between b+ and FP in the diagnostic block under the hood. This will allow your fuel pump to run constantly in the run position. Leave it jumpered for about 10 seconds before trying to crank it. If you car starts then pull the jumper under the hood.

JohnRardin

JDM 7MGTE
Apr 4, 2006
Radford, VA
Wow that's great advice. I can't believe all these years I've driven my Supra and not known that. Thanks I'll remember that one and try it first thing.
________
SoSquirt4U

Last edited:

JohnRardin

JDM 7MGTE
Apr 4, 2006
Radford, VA
Ok I finally had to have my car towed here to my house so at least I can try things immediately now. I tried everything I can think of and its still acting the same way. Crank crank fire, crank crank fire ect. (sometimes it backfires). I tried using a jumper just as 89supracrazy suggested but it didn't do anything. I tried moving the CPS wires some more. No change. I tried checking codes and I guess since I reset the ECU none of the codes were there yet. I can't think of anything else to try!

Its been 2 months now and it still hasn't fired up once. This drives me crazy considering when i parked it, it ran great. Anyone have ANY thoughts? I could use some help!
________
Cannabis Seeds

Last edited: