Why not to buy an Iproduct IPHONE IPOD etc..

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
^^ YES they do. My friend bought one which died RIGHT after the 1 year warrenty. It's been sitting ever since. I think I will tell hm to send it in to that ipod mechanic place to get it fixed. 30gig video ipod filled, cant even turn it on.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
My fiancee's iPod mini lasted 14 months. It's not that much of an issue because of the aftermarket replacement options. The principle of it is annoying though. I happened to get the one for my fiancee because it was free with purchase of my iBook. I recommend Rockbox for your MP3 player.

I'm more wary of the iPhone. It seems it really locks down what you can do with it, and then you can only use one provider. Plus it's way too expensive (service plans alone). I'm considering buying an OpenMoko phone in the future.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
I have a refurbished ipod shuffle 1gig, I use it at work daily for 5-8 hours. I dont remember to charge it daily even. It still holds full charge after 2 years of daily use, so Im happy.

Darkcyde

Workin' Man
Mar 30, 2005
La Villa Strangiato
sm_photo_missing.jpg
>ipod

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
iwannadie said:
I have a refurbished ipod shuffle 1gig, I use it at work daily for 5-8 hours. I dont remember to charge it daily even. It still holds full charge after 2 years of daily use, so Im happy.
Generally the best thing you can do with rechargeable batteries is let them drain completely before recharging them again. If you aren't going to use it for a while then you should leave it at half charge.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
swaq said:
Generally the best thing you can do with rechargeable batteries is let them drain completely before recharging them again. If you aren't going to use it for a while then you should leave it at half charge.

Wrong

NICADS batterys yes like power drills etc have memory some of the newer drills have a third prong to reset the battery memory but is always best to drain nicads 100%

LION batterys are diffrent if you drain them 100% all the time there life is cut short if you read your cell phone directions they recomend to charge them as often as possible and not to drain them completely.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE said:
Wrong

NICADS batterys yes like power drills etc have memory some of the newer drills have a third prong to reset the battery memory but is always best to drain nicads 100%

LION batterys are diffrent if you drain them 100% all the time there life is cut short if you read your cell phone directions they recomend to charge them as often as possible and not to drain them completely.

Ya Thats what I thought too, I remember with RC cars using nicads they sold battery drainers to kill the batt 100% lol. Once lion came along that all went out the window.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE said:
Wrong

The manufacturer of my Li-Ion battery laptop recommends draining the battery completely at least once a month. (Apple iBook)

My Sprint phone manual makes no mention of either charging often or draining. It also has a Li-Ion battery.

I know this was primarily an issue with the Ni-Cads rather than with the Li-Ions, which is why I said "generally". According to the Wikipedia article on Li-Ions, they have no "memory" but still lose charge capacity over time, particularly when exposed to higher temperature and when the charge is at 100%. When the charge is at 40% the charge capacity will last significantly longer (confirming what I said about leaving unused batteries at half charge). The article also implies that charging a Li-Ion very often will decrease the life of the battery.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
just replaced my ipod photo battery after ive had it for 2+ years. new battery works great, was easy to install and lasts longer. cant complain