Why dont people make this BOP?

cruzinbill

SC3TT
Jun 26, 2005
Arkansas
A while back i got into a discussion about egr block off plates. Basincly it was asked why block it off on the intake manifold. It has been said to do it the right way you have to pull off your head or pull or eng. Then tapp the hole on the back of your head and plug it. Well i had stated that i simply made a BOP and put it on there.

I could never get around to bein able to take a pic, then i saw IJ's today and stole his pic to post it here http://members.optushome.com.au/suprapics/dump2a.jpg u can see it installed in the pic. Any way why dont people make this BOP instead of the one that hoohs to the intake?

cruzinbill

SC3TT
Jun 26, 2005
Arkansas
lagged i was talkin bout the lower one. I know the one is needed on the upper manifold. I meant you dont need one on the lower intake if you block it off like IJ has.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
cruzinbill said:
lagged i was talkin bout the lower one. I know the one is needed on the upper manifold. I meant you dont need one on the lower intake if you block it off like IJ has.

correct. you dont need that one, if you look itll just be a hole to the back of the head where the EGR cooler would be.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
Silent Smith said:
can't the egr feed hole in hte exhaust be tapped and sealed?

Then it's sealed but the smog testers see a full egr system

yup but the only real reason to get rid of the EGR is to get rid of engine bay clutter. the EGR has no effect on performance, ups fuel milage and has a side effect of reducing tendancy to knock, so.. if youre gonna keep that thing in there you might as well have it functioning.

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
lintlars said:
It also heats up the head around the #6 cylinder the hottest part of the engine so removing it takes heat away from a hot spot.

You've touched upon something there ! The exhaust cooler works by routing the exhaust so that it is in contact with the head at the back. That portion has a water passage inside to cool it. So....if it is all removed and blocked off, then it should theoretically be cooler in that area.

But then, without the EGR, there is higher peak combustion temps, which will raise overall engine temps, and can/may cause pinging under hard acceleration.

Its like Rosanna Rosanna Danna says...."if it ain't one thing, it's something else". (Sat. Night Live, '70's):biglaugh:

But let it be known that I am for a fully functional EGR system !!:icon_bigg

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
heres one thing i have wondered;

since there is a greater chance for pinging under load w/o the EGR system in place, do mkiii's that came from the factory without EGRs have some other method of combating this?

or, this pinging caused by the lack of EGR is highly unlikely and is only speculation?

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
lagged said:
heres one thing i have wondered;

since there is a greater chance for pinging under load w/o the EGR system in place, do mkiii's that came from the factory without EGRs have some other method of combating this?

or, this pinging caused by the lack of EGR is highly unlikely and is only speculation?

Reduced combustion temperature is an added benefit of EGR. The primary benefit is the reduction of NOx emmissions. The 7M was designed to operate with or without EGR, so it's not going to ping if you take it off.

cruzinbill

SC3TT
Jun 26, 2005
Arkansas
staticpat said:
Does anyone make a block off plate for the EGR cooler? Otherwise do people just block off the ports with a bolt or something?

not that i know of i i made mine, its looks exactly like IJ's "factory" one.